Bronco Concept?

drifter_r6

Observer
I saw this concept Bronco a few yrs ago at an auto show, I like this concept much better. Wonder if its still in development.

2012-Ford-Bronco.jpg

Bronco

Specs:
Full-time 4WD Sport Utility

Curb Weight
3,100 lbs.

Tire Size
265/70R18

Powertrain
2.0-liter Ford Duratorq TDCi 16-valve turbodiesel

Max horsepower
128 (178 with nitrous oxide boost) at 4,000 rpm

Max torque
244 lb-ft at 1,800 rpm

Automatic PowerShift™ Transmission

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I think they still really missed it. It just looks like a mini Ford/Hummer. I am really not trying to be down on this, but how hard is it to remake a modern version of the 66-77 body style and have it not look like the "rapper" version? Anyhoo....

4x4junkie

Explorer
Couldn't be more wrong.

IFS equiped 4runner/FJ/Tacoma/100series LC/GX470 sell just as well and as long as you are not rock crawling, they are just as good.

Two different markets dude. :coffee:
As you said; "as long as you are not rock crawling"...
That excludes a LOT of people (maybe I wasn't clear in my post, I was referring to the JK market, not necessarily us members here on ExPo).

The amount of people who pass over the rigs you mention just because of their IFS is huge (I certainly would be among them).
People want something that is simple to modify (lift), and/or they just want something not as complicated/is more durable.
Proof is in the fact Chrysler has no problem whatsoever getting JKs to fly out of their door... I'll bet if there was an alternative available (Bronco), many would flock to it because Chrysler's vehicles are not the best put-together. People buy them only because it's the only thing left (besides big fullsize Ford & Dodge pickups) that still has simple solid axles.

All this may not be readily apparent to us here on ExPo only because many rockcrawler guys don't also partake in the camping/exploring thing. But believe me, they're out there (just look at the forum stats over at www.pirate4x4.com, they literally have 12× as many posts and 4× as many members as here on ExPo... I think we may actually be in the minority :snorkel: ).

That is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread. It was said to be based on the Escape SUV chassis (full independent suspension). Definitely could not be any further from what a Bronco should be.
icon13.png

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I really wish Ford would come up with a real SUV with a frame, solid axles and a manual transfer case with manual trans option. Something to compete with the JK.
I bought a new JK to get these things but the overall quality is total garbage compared to every Ford I've ever owned.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Two different markets dude. :coffee:
As you said; "as long as you are not rock crawling"...
That excludes a LOT of people (maybe I wasn't clear in my post, I was referring to the JK market, not necessarily us members here on ExPo).

The amount of people who pass over the rigs you mention just because of their IFS is huge (I certainly would be among them).

I wonder where you get your numbers. If the number of people that pass buy all those Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, Chevrolets, GMCs, Dodges, and even Jeeps is huge, don't you think that their directors of marketing and accounting would say hey wait a minute we can't sell a 4x4 because the consumers all want a Jeep Wrangler and they are passing us by because of our IFS vehicles. We better contact the engineers and have them put a straight axle under the front of all of our 4x4s so that they ride like a Conestoga wagon and everyone will want one.

The truth is Jeep does have most of a niche market. However, it is just that a niche. Toyota produces straight axle Land Cruisers still, and if it was profitable they would sell them here. If there was a LOT of money to be made in that market, all of the 4x4 manufacturers would have a vehicle that was easily modified for rock crawling. As it is what is available to us can be easily modified to go where most human beings want to go, or they can be left alone and be very comfortable as daily drivers like most are. My brother has a 2012 Wrangler, and I'd hate to have to ride in it on a daily basis, and I love Jeeps.

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
How many people here buy a new off the lot vehicle and take it out and beat the tar out of it off road? No upgrades, no mods. Most of us here build what we want out of an older platform. We are a niche here and making vehicles for us is not profitable on a large scale, as each would be different.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The JKs sell so well because they are a"Jeep". All the yuppies think they are cool. Even Barbie had a Jeep! The fact that they are also the only out of the box solid axle, lockers and removable top only helps with sales. I would bet only 10% of JK sales are based on the offroad capabilities. The rest is image.

You might notice a JK in my sig... It is there only because A. No 70 series TLC available here, B. My wife wanted one. She wanted the Sahara with all the citified niceties, but I told her the only one worth owning would be the Rubicon. Whadaya know? She listened!!!

If Ford had made a similar type of rig under the Bronco badge, we probably would have bought it. She loves 66-77 Broncos.

bftank

Explorer
i've accepted that new manufacturers are never going to build an affordable version of what i want.

truck i think would be killer

4 door mid size suv based on the looks of early bronco, size of 1st gen explorer
actual frame fully boxed, no unibody,
4 cylinder turbo diesel with v8 option
6 speed manual trans
manual transfer case
solid front axle manual hubs, coil springs and 4 link, (think Jeep) dana 44
solid rear axle limited slip offered on leafs, 8.8
30 gallon fuel tank
am/fm radio with satellite or pandora option
hand crank and lock doors
split rear hatch like on early bronco

33x10.5 standard.

for under $20k

i can dream can't i?

General Automag

Adventurer
What about giving us something that has a retro look such as Dodge did with the Challenger AND with engine and drivetrain designs that we want? Wouldn't it be great for Ford to produce a better vehicle than the Jeep and the FJ Cruiser at a price the 49% could afford? It sure would be nice to have an upgraded version with a good manual transmission option, solid front axles, and a modern engine! We still want the new 70 series Land Cruisers that we can't get here.

http://icon4x4.com/overview/br/models

Attachments

• Icon-Bronco.jpg
    Icon-Bronco.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Icon-Bronco2.jpg
    Icon-Bronco2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 58

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The Jeeps wouldn't sell if they didn't have the hardcore offroad ability they do. Even the folks that run street tires and will never even see offroad demand that.
You take away a Wranglers off road straight axle capability, and it's just a Liberty. The Liberty deosn't have the cool factor the Wrangler has. Which is mostly a camping, beach kinda deal. All things the Liberty does well.

I just left the Jeep factory 1 hour ago. Guess how many had hard tops?

It's kinda like how Vipers and Z06's come with rain tires instead of DOT road course slicks. People want a fast car, but have no intension to actually go fast. Best example is a vette with run flat tires. A little Subaru could whoop that car do to the loss of grip from the run flat tires.

If you look at drivers with offroad experience only. And get rid of all the soccer moms. Then you start to see a much higher percentage of demand for solid axles.

Ford should make a Defender 90 copy and put a 6.2L V8 in it! I have no idea exactly what ya'll are talking about, I can't see that youtube vid. But I think a Raptor with a SUV rear end instead of a bed would sell. If they'd offer an XLT version without that awlful leather.

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
expedition raptor would be killer!

i agree with you about people buying jeeps do to there offroad ability.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I wonder where you get your numbers. If the number of people that pass buy all those Toyotas, Nissans, Fords, Chevrolets, GMCs, Dodges, and even Jeeps is huge, don't you think that their directors of marketing and accounting would say hey wait a minute we can't sell a 4x4 because the consumers all want a Jeep Wrangler and they are passing us by because of our IFS vehicles. We better contact the engineers and have them put a straight axle under the front of all of our 4x4s so that they ride like a Conestoga wagon and everyone will want one.

The truth is Jeep does have most of a niche market. However, it is just that a niche. Toyota produces straight axle Land Cruisers still, and if it was profitable they would sell them here. If there was a LOT of money to be made in that market, all of the 4x4 manufacturers would have a vehicle that was easily modified for rock crawling. As it is what is available to us can be easily modified to go where most human beings want to go, or they can be left alone and be very comfortable as daily drivers like most are. My brother has a 2012 Wrangler, and I'd hate to have to ride in it on a daily basis, and I love Jeeps.

You must not have read the last part of my post or clicked the link I posted to see just how popular that site (and the sport) is?

Well according to this site, Jeep Wrangler sales in 2011 were about 10-fold what, say, FJC sales were... (I'm open for suggestions if you know of something that is a closer competitor to the Wrangler :) )
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/toyota-fj-cruiser-sales-figures.html
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/jeep-wrangler-sales-figures.html

To me, that really says something given the Wrangler's much poorer quality. Over 120,000 JKs in a year sure seems like an awfully large "niche" market... (even sales of popular SUVs like the 4Runner and Xterra are no match for it)
It would seem obvious it riding like a "Conestoga wagon" is not all that high up on most buyer's list of concerns.

The JKs sell so well because they are a"Jeep". All the yuppies think they are cool. Even Barbie had a Jeep! The fact that they are also the only out of the box solid axle, lockers and removable top only helps with sales. I would bet only 10% of JK sales are based on the offroad capabilities. The rest is image.

Even if true, Ford should have no problem rebuilding the legendary Bronco's "image" as a rugged offroader if they infact build it as such.
If they were to contract with Dana Corp. for the 2nd-generation Dana44 front axle that Chrysler is using, maybe put the beefy Sterling SF 9.75" in for the rear, offer both a manual transmission and a transfercase w/mechanical shifter behind say, the 3.7L V6 they already use in the F-150 (not that ecoboost turbo crap), have the convertible top, and price it around that of the JK, I'm sure they'd have a real hit. I'd certainly consider sticking that crowbar into my wallet for one.

bftank

Explorer
i wonder if the sales numbers have anything to do with all this end of the world hype floating around? buying lots of ammo and a decent offroad vehicle?

back on topic. the new model looks like it has a lot in common with the h2. tupperware with tires. not appealing for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles