Installing locker

SSDDBRONCO

I'm going to buy a yukon grizzly locker soon for my Ford 9. I was wondering how hard is it to install a locker? I don't think I'm going to tackle this task because i don't want to damage anything but curious if it's something hard to do.
Also for those in California how much did you pay to get the locker installed? Anyone in the San Fernando Valley know a good place?

Thanks
Kev

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

4x4junkie

Explorer
I had work done at a shop called 4 Wheel Specialties many years ago (NOT 4 Wheel Parts!!!). Dwayne I think his name was did good work and seemed knowledgeable, though I don't know if he's still there or not.
There's also Hooper's rearends in Sun Valley (friend of mine had some work done on a 8.8" there somewhat recently and was happy).

Installing a locker and/or gears is not exactly difficult, but does require a number of special tools. Getting the backlash and pinion pattern correct can easily try a newcomer's patience. If you think you might want to attempt it, be sure to do plenty of reading until you fully understand how everything works.
My first gear install experience was on my BII back in '04. Almost 40,000 miles later and no problems (5.13s in a HP35 & 8.8")

RedF

Adventurer
I'm going to buy a yukon grizzly locker soon for my Ford 9. I was wondering how hard is it to install a locker? I don't think I'm going to tackle this task because i don't want to damage anything but curious if it's something hard to do.
Also for those in California how much did you pay to get the locker installed? Anyone in the San Fernando Valley know a good place?

Thanks
Kev

Lucky for you a Ford 9" is one of the easier axles to work on, thanks to the removable pinion support, and the side bearing adjusters (as opposed to shims).

You will need less specialty tools to do the install, but will still need a good knowledge base. A dial indicator, 1/2" torque wrench and a beam or dial type torque wrench in inch-pounds will be all you really need. Knowing how to properly to set your bearings for preload, and gear pattern/backlash is critical for longevity and reliability.

You will have to specify the spline count of the locker when you order it, so now will be a great time to upgrade to 31 spline axles if you don't all ready have them. The 31 spline axles will offer a good increase in strength, and will handle the abuse of the locker better.

SSDDBRONCO

I had work done at a shop called 4 Wheel Specialties many years ago (NOT 4 Wheel Parts!!!). Dwayne I think his name was did good work and seemed knowledgeable, though I don't know if he's still there or not.
There's also Hooper's rearends in Sun Valley (friend of mine had some work done on a 8.8" there somewhat recently and was happy).

Installing a locker and/or gears is not exactly difficult, but does require a number of special tools. Getting the backlash and pinion pattern correct can easily try a newcomer's patience. If you think you might want to attempt it, be sure to do plenty of reading until you fully understand how everything works.
My first gear install experience was on my BII back in '04. Almost 40,000 miles later and no problems (5.13s in a HP35 & 8.8")

Haha back in the day my dad got a whole suspension lift from Dwayne. Owners changed and did some work with them and they ripped me off. So i will stay away from them. Called up Hoopers already and they had the highest quote at $280 just for bench time. I got a place named Ramjet might take it to them.
Thanks

SSDDBRONCO

Lucky for you a Ford 9" is one of the easier axles to work on, thanks to the removable pinion support, and the side bearing adjusters (as opposed to shims).

You will need less specialty tools to do the install, but will still need a good knowledge base. A dial indicator, 1/2" torque wrench and a beam or dial type torque wrench in inch-pounds will be all you really need. Knowing how to properly to set your bearings for preload, and gear pattern/backlash is critical for longevity and reliability.

You will have to specify the spline count of the locker when you order it, so now will be a great time to upgrade to 31 spline axles if you don't all ready have them. The 31 spline axles will offer a good increase in strength, and will handle the abuse of the locker better.

I guess the Ford 9 is easy but i don't quite understand the whole backlash thing and don't want to ******k up anything. I usually do everything on my bronco but i don't have a good feeling for this one.

wyojoe

Adventurer
Haha back in the day my dad got a whole suspension lift from Dwayne. Owners changed and did some work with them and they ripped me off. So i will stay away from them. Called up Hoopers already and they had the highest quote at $280 just for bench time. I got a place named Ramjet might take it to them.
Thanks

Ramjet and Hoopers are the two shops I am familiar with, and both are highly recommended by many folks I know in the area. Ramjet has done a lot of work with the stock car racers I know, and would probably be my first choice based on what I know of them, especially if they are less expensive than Hoopers. Personally, though, I've dealt with Hoopers and had good luck with them, too, and some of the trucks at my work have had work done by them. They've always done a good job with those that I know that have used them, and they are also highly recommended, but that's probably also why they charge what they do. They're good at it.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Thanks

Too bad... Good to know though.

Yeah Ramjet should be good too. I haven't yet gone in there for anything myself, though I do know they've been around for many many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior