Wrangler Tire Size - Overland, Trail, and Other

What tire size are you running on your Wrangler?

• Factory 32's

Votes: 43 21.4%
  • 33's-34's

Votes: 91 45.3%
  • 35-37's

Votes: 67 33.3%

• Total voters

Anonymark

Observer
I'm running Duratrac 33's by 12.5 on a 15 inch rim (specifically the MB 72 rim) that has been the talk over in the JK forums on an early 2012 Sport JKU

Now: 33" on a 15" rim, 2.5" AEV lift

Jeep.jpg

Stock: Stock 17" sport tires

Jeep2.jpg

I have a 2.5" AEV lift.

I actually get less road wander with the Duratracs than I did with the stock tires and the ride is better. I have had no issues with the 15" rim. When it's time to upgrade the tires though, I will probably go with a 33 or 34 on a 16 or 17" rim and will only go about 10" wide on the tire. The only issue I have had is on wet roadways, the wider tires love to grab standing water and I really fight the wheel. I think thats more of a Jeep characteristic than a product of wide tires though.

Septu

Explorer
Running stock 32's now, and ran 33's on my 07. Will be running 34/35s once I put a lift on and the 32s are worn out. And it's not because of peer pressure. Do I need 35s for what I do (light wheeling/exploring/DD)? Absolutely not. But I want them. I'd actually like to go to 36/37s at some point, but that's not a priority anytime soon.

Forwardoffroad

I run 33x12.50x15s on my 05 TJ rubicon. I plan to go to a 35 next with a flat fender set up. I want to go from a 4" lift to a 2" lift. I would stay away from anything larger than a 35 as that is about the breaking point between stock and upgraded axels. I do air down to 10psi and lose some clerance with the 33s and that is my main reason for going to a 35 next. This will also require me to change from the 4.10 R&P to a 4.56 or 4.88. I am not sure what to go with at this time but will figure it out when the time comes.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
With the JKU's limousine wheelbase, a 3.5" AEV lift and 315/70-R17 tires were a must for the trails I frequent. While my Jeep is certainly Rubicon-capable, I did not build it specifically for the rocks, but rather as an all-around performer, including daily driving. I'm very pleased with how it's worked out. This is how the Rubicon should come straight from the factory!

P1050025.jpg

I did add inner-C gussets and Synergy balljoints, and I plan to install the Artec front axle truss, but other than that I've left it all alone and had no issues to date.

Last edited:

Ridge638

My 08 JKU has 35" Goodyear MTR's w/Kevlar on 17" wheels. Regeared to 5.13's and with a Superchips controller and it rides and runs very well with about 50,000 miles on this setup. Without the regear you will be driving with poor shift points -in and out of overdrive. If you are offroad in Arizona everything tries to poke, poison, or scratch you so the sidewalls are more important than the tire size - although the 35's look best on a JK. btw -my Jeep is very heavy with Gobi Rack, bumpers, armor, tools, etc and it dropped from 17/19mpg to an average of 14.5mpg on both the city/hwy. The tires w/ regearing had a positive impact, the weight and aerodynamics did not.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I got caught up in the "buy my Jeep, build it like everyone elses's" when i bought my TJ - I upgraded to 33s.

I got bored running trails. The TJ then became my DD, and then it wasn't serving the needs very well as a DD - so I traded it on a 2012 JKU-R. I have done some mild upgrades, but plan on sticking with the stock tires size. THe forums I frequent, people always mention to the newcomers - drive your rig like it is, see what your interest level is, then upgrade it. Too bad I didn't listen to that when I first bought my TJ.

Nomad_K

Adventurer

Ridge - that is a beautiful Jeep!

I got caught up in the "buy my Jeep, build it like everyone elses's" when i bought my TJ - I upgraded to 33s.

I got bored running trails. The TJ then became my DD, and then it wasn't serving the needs very well as a DD - so I traded it on a 2012 JKU-R. I have done some mild upgrades, but plan on sticking with the stock tires size. THe forums I frequent, people always mention to the newcomers - drive your rig like it is, see what your interest level is, then upgrade it. Too bad I didn't listen to that when I first bought my TJ.

I hear what you are saying, and I have tried to take everyone's advice and took my Jeep out on the two most technical trails we have here on the island. I would be happy running stock for awhile longer - the JKUR with stock tires is a beast when it comes to crawling up a steep hill (things that would make me pause on a mountain bike). The only reason I would look at larger tires would be the JKU's prowess at getting high centered - or rather my skill at high centering my Jeep :elkgrin:

I am going to get a set of aftermarket skids, and I will probably go with a 2.5 inch lift - both of which should help. IMHO, these two items, paired with 33's or maybe a '34 inch tire' would be ideal.

An LCG build with 35's, stock height, and skids would be another interesting option though. I would only gain 1.5 inches of clearance underneath the skids vs. 2.5 for a lift. but that 1.5 inch would bring both diff's a little higher off the ground which would make me happy. I guess I am worried about the hit on mileage, the overall cost, and the long term durability of the diff's and associated hardware with 35's vs 33's. The cost of the tires, tire carrier, fenders, c's, a truss, and possibly new axles starts to add up. And even if I stayed around the stock height I would want to toss on a progressive or dual rate spring and different shocks. When I add it all up, the 2.5 + skids + 33's when my stock tires wear out leaves a lot more $ for wheeling and traveling than all of the equipment that is recommended to do 35's the right way.

As for the poll numbers - I didn't realize how many of you guys were rolling 35's - I'll let you know if I join that club.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Interesting older thread.

I have a 2014 JKUR with stock suspension and tires. I've avoided real technical trails for the most part. But the underside keeps getting damaged over things I wouldn't even have noticed in my old 100-Series with 33s and a 2.5" lift.

The breakover angle of the JKU is very poor and too many things hang below the frame rails. The approach and departure are fine with stock tires and lift. But I can't wait to get a 2.5" lift on it so I stop high centering over minor ledges.

With all these newer tire sizes, we at least have options. After overbuilding my Land Cruiser, I'm onboard with this less is more approach.

These all seem like viable tire upgrades.

255/80r17
285/75r17
34x10.5r17
315x70r17
35x12.5r17

It's too bad no one makes a 35x11.5. I suppose a 285/75/17 is about as close as we get. But BFG doesn't make the AT KO or KO2 in that size. And other brands are too heavy. The 34x10.5, which is really a 33.5, could be a good compromise but they might look a little funny.

It seems hard to compare mpg with all the factors. A lot of the guys complaining about getting 14mpg on the highway haven't used the ProCal to adjust their shift points, don't have 4.10 OEM gearing and run roof racks.

On my other trucks, aerodynamic changes had much more of an effect than tire size or weight. I noticed almost no difference in mpg when lifted. Maybe 1mpg with 2" larger tires. No difference with weight. But a 3-4mpg difference with an empty frontrunner/rhino/LabRak style roof rack.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I would buy a set of 285/80R17's (35x11R17) or 285/85R17 (36x11R17) in a heartbeat but nobody seems to want to make a tall/narrow tire. BFG's new KO2 in the 34x10.5 is too small, but it's a move in the right direction.

Prjktjho

I thought this question over for the better part of a year before finally deciding. For me, keeping the stock wheels was something that I wanted to do. I also didn't want to run any spacers so it was a decision of the stock size or 255-80/17. After checking the prices, the Cooper ST Maxx was $15 more a tire then the stock size equivalent so I made the jump to the 33. Do I sometimes wish I had 35s when I see a big Jeep driving down the road? Yeah! Big tires are cool! Country music has convinced me that my ability to get girls grows with tire size! But I think that I made the right decision for me due to the up front cost, minimal mpg decrease, and the least amount of other parts (spacers, lift, gussets, sleeves, ball joints, tire carrier, etc) required to run them. I think for general trail use here in WV, everything I will and should be doing is covered by a 33. I have had no problems with 32's and 33's on previous Jeeps, Tacoma, or FJC. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424525600.366469.jpg

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
A SWB Wrangler can get away with 33's much easier than a LWB Wrangler Unlimited. That's why so many in the "expo" crowd (including myself) have gone up to 35+ inch tall tires. Even with 35's my Rubicon Unlimited's skidplates have taken a beating, but I can't go up to 37's or else my Jeep won't fit in my garage anymore.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I've been running 33/34" tires for years on my JKUR and have no desire to go any larger-

Here's 33.6" Hankook Dynapro MTs-load range "D"
Sandtracks711038.jpg

Here's 33.8" BFG KM2s-load range "E"
MCEFenders-1-16-15012_zpsc0c8240a.jpg

Without any airdown, the Hankooks are superior to the BFGs for sand, but the BFGs are great on-road stability and off-road lateral strength/tire stability-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

wADVr

Adventurer
I run 37s on the JK and will not go smaller. On the lighter XJ I believe 33s are the best size out there. My JK on 37s cannot even compare to my previous XJs ability. Deep snow is my preferred terrain though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz