Wrangler Tire Size - Overland, Trail, and Other

What tire size are you running on your Wrangler?

• Factory 32's

Votes: 43 21.4%
  • 33's-34's

Votes: 91 45.3%
  • 35-37's

Votes: 67 33.3%

• Total voters

Cordite

Running an almost stock JKU and put 33" Toyo Open Country tires on the stock wheels as I didn't have any desire to start messing with lifts and such-like. I have driven from Maryland to Nevada, into Death Valley and come back through south Texas twice this year. Saw a slight decrease in mileage and that's it. No other down side. Mostly drove highways, obviously, but did several trails in Nevada and Texas. Had no clearance issues. Having done that twice, I won't do it again but will spend my time driving on sand at Assateague Island. These same tires work great there also, even though the tread is a bit aggressive for soft sand. I also do a lot of camping in North Central PA and western MD and have had no tire or clearance issues in the woods, on the trails. Anyhoo, for what I do, the 33" works great.

A

AngryRedBird

With the eventuality of giving our coil spacers away.. The Jeep will retain it's basic stance but with slightly more aggressive tires.. essentially back tracking to how we bought it or how it use to look.. with a few modifications the jeep storage capabilities.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I daily drive my Jeep but it's mostly in West LA stop and go traffic where even my wife's Elantra gets 18mpg. So I'm not too concerned about city mpg. But ruining your highway mpg can really start making 4x4 trips expensive. I'm trying to find a tire that'll allow me to do 6 rated trails but also not kill fuel economy or highway manners. The stock 32" tires work better than I expected. But without a lift, I'm scraping a lot. A 34x11.5r17 all terrain tire, D-rated and weighing around 60lbs would be ideal. But I don't think that exists. A 285/75417 BFG AT KO2 would be perfect. Too bad it doesn't exist.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I daily drive my Jeep but it's mostly in West LA stop and go traffic where even my wife's Elantra gets 18mpg. So I'm not too concerned about city mpg. But ruining your highway mpg can really start making 4x4 trips expensive. I'm trying to find a tire that'll allow me to do 6 rated trails but also not kill fuel economy or highway manners. The stock 32" tires work better than I expected. But without a lift, I'm scraping a lot. A 34x11.5r17 all terrain tire, D-rated and weighing around 60lbs would be ideal. But I don't think that exists. A 285/75417 BFG AT KO2 would be perfect. Too bad it doesn't exist.

Same basic 4 door vehicle as Klaus, and same basic issue, except I don't much care about fuel mileage.
I've decided to go 35" tire, and 3.5" lift. On my shorter wheelbase rigs a 33" tire worked well, but these long arsed limo's have a terrible break-over, with the gas tank hanging low enough to suckle ants.
It is so much easier on me, the vehicle and the environment not to be dragging the belly over every little dip and rock. Just makes driving the trails more relaxed and enjoyable.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Same basic 4 door vehicle as Klaus, and same basic issue, except I don't much care about fuel mileage.
I've decided to go 35" tire, and 3.5" lift. On my shorter wheelbase rigs a 33" tire worked well, but these long arsed limo's have a terrible break-over, with the gas tank hanging low enough to suckle ants.
It is so much easier on me, the vehicle and the environment not to be dragging the belly over every little dip and rock. Just makes driving the trails more relaxed and enjoyable.

That's where my head is at. Even though my wallet and wife haven't caught up yet.

12.5 just seems kind of wide to me. And 10.5 seems too skinny. But those 34x10.5s would solve a lot of problems. You could run them on stock wheels without spacers and without beefing up the front axle.

I can only imagine what your local dealer will say if you try to get any warranty work with a sleeved and trussed and gusseted front axle and 35s.

But I agree about the wheel base necessitating 35s. But We partially bought the JKUR as a more practical alternative to the built LC wagon. So I wouldn't want to ruin the handling, lift it until it won't fit in parking decks and get 12mpg again.

My wife thinks I tricked her into thinking the jeep would be good to go stock. But I didn't realize how low things hang below the frame rails. It's amazing what a difference 4" of wheelbase make (coming from a 112" wheelbase where the belly almost never scraped). Every time I go out I hit something on the jeep. It makes me not want to use it until it's lifted.

MTSN

Explorer
Anyone know her much the 2013+ and 10A wheels weigh? The Moab style ones weigh 25lbs.

I just bought a set off a 2015 Rubicon to put on my 2012 (I like the look better than the Moab style). They have no tires mounted yet, so I'll weigh one on my scale tonight and let you know. I'm going with an AEV 2.5" lift with 315/70/17 Duratracs, though I'm still somewhat considering the 285/75/17 Toyo AT2 (but that's an E rated tire which could be overkill for my build). I'm doing 1.5" Spidertrax spacers to go with the 2015 Rubi wheels since I kinda like the somewhat stock look. Maybe it's getting used to seeing built Land Cruisers with stock wheels :)

MTSN

Explorer
Anyone know her much the 2013+ and 10A wheels weigh? The Moab style ones weigh 25lbs.

I just bought a set off a 2015 Rubicon to put on my 2012 (I like the look better than the Moab style). They have no tires mounted yet, so I'll weigh one on my scale tonight and let you know. I'm going with an AEV 2.5" lift with 315/70/17 Duratracs, though I'm still somewhat considering the 285/75/17 Toyo AT2 (but that's an E rated tire which could be overkill for my build). I'm doing 1.5" Spidertrax spacers to go with the 2015 Rubi wheels since I kinda like the somewhat stock look. Maybe it's getting used to seeing built Land Cruisers with stock wheels :)

I brought one inside tonight and weighed it 3 different times and it came in at 28.6 pounds each way, but that includes the cardboard box it was in. I'd say that's pretty comparable with the older Moab wheel if not a pound or two heavier. I was considering the AEV Savegre, and I've seen weights for it vary between 32 and 36 pounds depending on the source which makes the stock ones a decent bit lighter.

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

unkamonkey

Explorer

Odd mood tonight, back in the '70's a guy at work had an old Nissan sedan. he had painted on the trunk "Honoraable ant chaser"

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I brought one inside tonight and weighed it 3 different times and it came in at 28.6 pounds each way, but that includes the cardboard box it was in. I'd say that's pretty comparable with the older Moab wheel if not a pound or two heavier. I was considering the AEV Savegre, and I've seen weights for it vary between 32 and 36 pounds depending on the source which makes the stock ones a decent bit lighter.

IMG_4468.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

Thanks MSTN. Quadratec just told me they weigh 25lbs. Same as their Moab style wheels. Sounds like that's about right. I was hoping there's were lighter to justify selling my stock tires and wheels. And replacing them with their Moab style 4.5" back spaced wheels running 315/75r17 BFG AT KO2s (when they release them). That's still a 12lb gain get wheel. And bfgs and duratracs seem to be the lightest option. Maybe the improved rolling resistance of switching from the stock mt tread to AT will help negate some of the added mass. Aka not destroy my MPG. I'm fine with 18-19mpg hwy. and I'll use a Procal to correct the shift points. I just don't want to spend $1500 to get 14mpg hwy.

D

Deleted member 48574

My rubicon has the stock M/Ts but they are nearing the end of their life. And they are NOISY. I've been contemplating going with the KO2s but I am a bit mystified with the sizes -- they don't make one for the stock Rubi, near as I can tell.

Anyone have them and can comment on what sizes fit the stock Rubicon/opinions of this tire?

The other option was the Coopers that this very website reviewed a little while back, but I KNOW BFGs are solid as can be. The Coopers would be an unknown, and with sinking over a grand into it either way I want to be sure!

nyrikki

The KO2 is shipping in 275/70r17 Is an almost exact replacement for the stock 255/75r17. It is .8 of an inch wider and did not rub. I did add a 1.5" spacer to just get the tire edge out enough to protect the fenders when sliding into an object but that is not required.

10987343_10153111465999805_4285693053603569252_o (1).jpg

Snow is very sparse here this year but the KO2 is worlds better on rainy roads and icy snow compared to the stock M/T. I haven't had this Jeep or the KO2's long enough for a real review but I am quite happy with them so far. I did hit some muddy spots following high tension power lines in the Cascades and the KO2s climbed out of ruts quite well, they may not be a mud tire but they have exceeded my A/T mud expectations already.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48574

The KO2 is shipping in 275/70r17 Is an almost exact replacement for the stock 255/75r17. It is .8 of an inch wider and did not rub. I did add a 1.5" spacer to just get the tire edge out enough to protect the fenders when sliding into an object but that is not required.

View attachment 272801

Snow is very sparse here this year but the KO2 is worlds better on rainy roads and icy snow compared to the stock M/T. I haven't had this Jeep or the KO2's long enough for a real review but I am quite happy with them so far. I did hit some muddy spots following high tension power lines in the Cascades and the KO2s climbed out of ruts quite well, they may not be a mud tire but they have exceeded my A/T mud expectations already.

Thats exactly the answer I was hoping for! Thank you kindly nyrikki. Costco, here I come!

A

AngryRedBird

One thing that has not been touched on within this topic is no matter what tire one decides on getting, did anyone bother checking the tires load rating.. In the last two post.. Craigwhitton seems to be wanting the 275/70/17 KO's but after checking tirerack.. these tires (at that size) are load rated E. I thought there was a concern dealing with the amount of flex one can or can not get out specific tires.. or would this not matter for an overland vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online