Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom travel trailer or a Tiny House?

Quote Originally Posted by susswein View Post
    I see a lot of "office trailers" at various government and other auction I go to, and it seems like something like this would be a perfect (cheap!) starting point for your new tiny home. They're already insulated, wired, and often plumbed, with door and windows (and often heat and AC installed). From what I've seen these usually go for pretty cheap at the auctions, since theere aren't a lot of interested buyers.

Not an auction, but here's a 28' for sale at an asking price of $6000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqbfiejLdM
    That link is a float house...
    2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), silver w/black top auto 4WD - Tow Truck

2006 Forest River Surveyor SV160T hybrid travel trailer

Quote Originally Posted by susswein View Post
    And here's a link to what they've been selling at at auction:

http://www.rbauction.com/search?s=YX...office-trailer
    And you have to be an auctioneer/participant to see anything. Whoops.

It's free (and just takes a few minutes) to register with any of these auction companies. Lots of good stuff for sale, from used pickups, trailers, service bodies removed from trucks, deisel trucks and busses, etc.

Default small home

maybe you should look at Park Model Homes. living room,full size kitchen, one bed room. Ck out Texas "Cavco's Family of Park Model Brands"

Because these are over 8' wide, they require a pro driver to move. With a tiny House or a travel trailer, you could move it with a rental truck AND move your storage stuff while you're at it. Just because of the size and the full-size appliances inside, chances are they are going to be a lot more than $20,000. I want to be a bit more mobile than that. Otherwise, they seem nice, though.

Instead of a park model, if you were going to have a trailer parked at one location for a long time, a "destination" trailer could work. They're sort of half way between a full-blown park model and a normal travel trailer. Not something you'd want to drag around constantly, but with more space than a typical travel trailer, with higher ceilings, residential-type applicances, etc. all in a 8.5' legal width with the slide-ins in.
    You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home. -Twoflower

Just buy an old skool bus and convert it how you please,tow a rig and use the bus as base camp.

Depending on your budget a good compromise may be an enclosed car hauler. I had a 20 footer, I paid 3k for it. Put in a kitchen counter, a refrigerator, lights and it was awesome. I towed it home with a Nissan Murano. If your careful and you dont have the trailer loaded down your scout may even be able to move it. You could source cheap used RV items from craigslist to finish it out too. You may even be able to find one already finished out.

These type of builds were very popular when I was in California

You might want to look at either the Little Guy T@b trailers or the discontinued T@da trailers of you don't need tons of room. They are going to be less expensive than a lot of trailers and I have read nothing but good stuff about their service. The newer T@b trailers have bathroom options and the T@das all had them. The T@das are roomier, if you can find a used one.
    Website | Twitter | SPOT

2011 JKU Sahara
    AEV 2.5" Lift | Gobi Stealth Rack | BF Goodrich MT's 255 75R 17

JK Build Thread
    M416 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Adventuro-Us View Post
    Depending on your budget a good compromise may be an enclosed car hauler. I had a 20 footer, I paid 3k for it. Put in a kitchen counter, a refrigerator, lights and it was awesome.
    I am pulling the three-way fridge and sink out of my FWC if you go this route. I will give you a smoking deal on the parts.
    1992 FORD F-350 Crew 4X4. 460 gas, Manual 5-speed. Sky's Offroad Design shackle reversal, Atlas Spring progressive spring packs, Falken 37x12.5-17 Wildpeak AT's. Trailready 17x8.5 beadlocks with World Series rings. Warn Winches M10000 and ZEON 8. Odyssey Batteries, Power Master 200 amp alternator. Centramatic Dynamic Wheel Balancers. Pressure Pro TPMS. Caboose Trailer.

"Know when to Shoot... And when to Scoot." Mikes Race Photo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast