Custom travel trailer or a Tiny House?

I am considering the next move in my life, which hopefully will happen in 10 months. A trailer that I'm looking for is going to be used primarily as my home, so it won't be going with me on camping trips and be moved with possibly a wrecker or hauler service to be moved whenever I change jobs or locations, which isn't very often these days. I just want to get out of apartment living, and I REALLY adore the Tiny Houses and the changes needed to your life to make this work. I have done this before with a travel trailer, but would not want to do this again.

Does anyone know of a company that makes the RV-looking travel trailers and will simply build you a trailer that is finished on the outside, but just has basic things installed, like bathroom and kitchen, and you install what you want as far as furniture, floors, walls, and finishings go? I can't build this here, as I live in an apartment with a water damage situation in the kitchen, and it's happened twice. I'm done with this.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Most of the "Toy Hauler" and "Sport" type trailer companies will build like you want. I know SandTec and Sport Trailers here in SoCal will, and I'm sure most will also.

Doug

It looks like Santek is out of business and has been for years, and Sports Trailers appears to be strictly boat/kayak hauling trailers, not even a flatbed.

Thanks, though.

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
Wrong Sport Trailers - Try this one

Sport Trailers
271 S I Street
San Bernardino, CA 92410-2439
Phone: (909) 888-5003

Just called them and they will build nearly anything you want.

As for SandTec, the son has a trailer business also and it's called CVN Motorsports.

http://cvnmotorsports.com/

Doug

I think what I'm going to do is go to an RV show here in Houston early next year, so that I can get a better idea of what is available in North America and go from there.

Edit: I just realized that since that I'm going to be living in a trailer, and neither of my vehicles are really capable of pulling it, I'm just going to upsize a bit to a toy hauler trailer with the interior I want (or put it in myself) and hire a driver to move it when I need to. I need the space for my drums and computer work area. I may have already entered the transition to another job, but we have to see how things go next year first. Given that, I could be working from anywhere I want.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Edit: I just realized that since that I'm going to be living in a trailer, and neither of my vehicles are really capable of pulling it, I'm just going to upsize a bit to a toy hauler trailer with the interior I want (or put it in myself) and hire a driver to move it when I need to.

What if you sold one of your vehicles, picked up an older, well maintained 1 ton truck, and pulled it yourself, when and where you want?

Advantages to an older truck: (going to sit a lot, so no real need for a new truck)

No payments
Cheaper insurance
You can haul your other rig in the back of the 'toy hauler'
You move whenever and wherever you want.

When parked, the entire toy hauler is your 'home', only need the back when you move. :coffeedrink:

Just an idea!

susswein

Observer
I see a lot of "office trailers" at various government and other auction I go to, and it seems like something like this would be a perfect (cheap!) starting point for your new tiny home. They're already insulated, wired, and often plumbed, with door and windows (and often heat and AC installed). From what I've seen these usually go for pretty cheap at the auctions, since theere aren't a lot of interested buyers.

Not an auction, but here's a 28' for sale at an asking price of $6000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqbfiejLdM

I see a lot of "office trailers" at various government and other auction I go to, and it seems like something like this would be a perfect (cheap!) starting point for your new tiny home. They're already insulated, wired, and often plumbed, with door and windows (and often heat and AC installed). From what I've seen these usually go for pretty cheap at the auctions, since theere aren't a lot of interested buyers.

Not an auction, but here's a 28' for sale at an asking price of $6000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqbfiejLdM

That link is a float house...

susswein

Observer
It's free (and just takes a few minutes) to register with any of these auction companies. Lots of good stuff for sale, from used pickups, trailers, service bodies removed from trucks, deisel trucks and busses, etc.

brian90744

American Trekker
small home

maybe you should look at Park Model Homes. living room,full size kitchen, one bed room. Ck out Texas "Cavco's Family of Park Model Brands"

Because these are over 8' wide, they require a pro driver to move. With a tiny House or a travel trailer, you could move it with a rental truck AND move your storage stuff while you're at it. Just because of the size and the full-size appliances inside, chances are they are going to be a lot more than $20,000. I want to be a bit more mobile than that. Otherwise, they seem nice, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles