stove jack?

huntinhick

Hello,

So I recently moved to alaska and I am still planning on getting a Roof top tent on a trailer so I have been thinking about heating it. I am wondering has anyone ever thought about putting in a stove jack in the changing room to plumb in a small wood stove? I know it sounds crazy but I bet it would be warm if it worked!

carl

wyojoe

Adventurer
Not sure exactly what you are talking about but wood stoves are very common in canvass wall tents

If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much exactly what Carl was talking about, but he wants to put one into the changing room attached to his roof top tent. I've not seen this done, but using a canvas wall tent as a pattern could provide some info to build such a thing. I think the risky thing is the material the changing room is made of, since most that I've seen aren't as sturdy as canvas is, so it likely would not hold up to the demands of this type of use. Also, the relatively tight confines of a changing room would not work very well with most wood stoves, in my opinion.

I think a better bet would be a propane heater like the Mr. Heater "Portable Buddy" or "Big Buddy" type of heater. Of course this requires a propane cylinder and if using the bulk type (almost essential, IMO), a means to refill it. You would not be able to run it off of sticks and twigs found in the wild like you could with a wood stove, however.

huntinhick

I have have found a couple of tiny wood stoves that might do the trick for a small space and not take up much room. I am not a big fan of propane due to the condisation it can cause, If i went that way it would have to be one of the heaters that you set outside with the hose into the tent. I was hoping that the changing rooms were canvas so it could be set up like a wall tents stove. I am still bouncing back and forth between a trailer with a tent on it or a modified cargo trailer being able to plumb in a small wood stove may be the final decider.

carl

AFSOC

Explorer
I think that is a really great idea. I would love to see the results. There are lots of places to source stove jacks for tent use. The internet is full of photos of people using them with all manner of tent fabrics to include the venerable blue poly tarp. As far as small stoves, you can easily make a woodburner out of an ammo can that will be robust and have a small footprint both inside while warming and on the trailer tongue while transporting. Hit Youtube for insight on effectiveness of tent stove jacks and ammo stoves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles