How much computer do I need? Photography and Video

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback abruzzi. Interesting about Pixelmator. I've been looking at it a lot these past few months, but never pulled the trigger. I think I'd like Aperature also, but it doesn't seem like Apple is continuing to develop it anymore. Its past due for an update, and there are a lot more features that could be built into it if they were to continue with it. It seems to me that Apple is losing focus on professional grade software and looking more actively at the consumer instead. I get the ecconomics, but its contrary to the appreciation Jobs always expressed to loyal Mac users who single handily kept Apple afloat in the 90's.

I have spent a lot of time researching and evaluating my options, what accessories I would need to accompany a new platform (like some USB 3.0 card readers!), as well as software transition costs. I did a spreadsheet comparison between 6 different platforms:

1. Traditional 13" MBP
2. Retina 13" MBP
3. Traditional 15" MBP
4. Retina 15" MBP
5. Refurb 15" MBP (2011 model)
6. DELL 15" XPS with Windows 7

Here is a link to the spreadsheet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0tpf0kg6104zpp/Computer Options.xlsx

The Dell was cheapest overall because I could reuse my software, but the machine itself was only marginally more affordable than a good refurb or baseline modern MBP.

Ultimately, I've been wanting to migrate to a Mac for years, and I've decided that its now or never.

After a lot of additional consideration, I have determined that while the 13" is the most desirable form factor, the lack of a quad core processor and discrete GPU will be very noticeable in how I intend to use it. So, while the screen is certainly nice, it is not a motivating factor for me in getting a Retina.... but the size and weight, and performance, have tipped the scales and a 15" rMBP is what I'll be ordering in the next week or so. The 18 month interest free, no prepayment penalty financing certainly helps me get there too.

I was "this close" to just getting the current 2012 traditional MBP. The performance numbers are identical to the rMBP, and the available high res 1600x non glare matte screen is actually better than the Retina in default scale (Retina's DPI scale down to 1440x resolution by default), and its easily upgradable, not to mention that it's a hyper-ventilating $700 cheaper than the Retina.... but it's a tank in comparison. The rMBP is quite simply in a class all it's own in size to performance ratio.

But $700 is a huge delta, it will have a notable effect on my family's activity options for quite a while. I haven't bought it yet, and I'm already kicking my own *** over it :)

So.... I added another analysis matrix to my spreadsheet, stripping out all but the essentials. Doing so got the delta down considerably. Basically, foregoing the 512GB SSD saves me a ton on the machine, and postponing the TimeCapsule or going with a third party unit will also save considerable money.

I think it's going to work out. I'll post an update when I finally pull the trigger.

Edit: just went back and re-read this thread. Scott sure nailed it. I'm going to be adopting his recommendation.

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
I run the 15 macbook pro and enjoy it. Get the largest and fasted hard drive you can, due to photoshops scratch disk this will help a great deal. More so than even processing power. Don't skimp on ram either get what you can. Myself I would put those two over processor speed for your intended use.

I have a cinema display that I plug in (one little cord) for editing. it comes right up as an extended desktop. I put the pallets for photoshop on the macbook and edit the photo on the big screen. I will say that a wireless keyboard and a mouse really make this dual display set up work (keyboard is bluetooth and mouse plugs into the cinema display so there is no setup time). I just set the laptop to the side of the display and use the keyboard and mouse to run it all. I get the best of both worlds this way, my full dual screen editing and pull a plug and I am mobile with the laptop.

I can also say that my work just purchased me a screaming dell laptop (I forget the model but fast with tons of ram) with all the latest and greatest. It's a very nice machine and I finally am getting the "it just works" functionality out of a PC. I don't have time to play with my computers anymore I just need them to do the job. It does and then some. THAT said it is still an inferior user experience to my macbook. Clunky like it is missing some needed refinement to truly be a classy setup.

I have used both extensively and am even a former build your own custom PC guy. End of the day, I always gravitate to the mac.

My 2 cents worth less I am sure.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Matt, thanks very much for posting your feedback. I really appreciate it. Sounds like you have a sweet set up. Curious, how "mobile" are you? Is your MBP primarily parked on your desk, or do you take along with you on a regular basis?

I'm not sure I fully agree with you about the Processor importance. AnandTech does a brilliant job testing, tracking and comparing the Mac's I'm interested in, and posted this telling series of chart results. Note the Final Cut, Photoshop, and Lightroom benchmarks between the quad core 15" with discrete GPU vs the dual core, integrated GPU 13" retina, both with Samsung 840 SSD's and 8mb of 1666mhz RAM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6409/13inch-retina-macbook-pro-review/9

This swayed heavily in my decision not to go with the 13"

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing your decision-making process.

I have never understood why Adobe makes it so expensive to make the transition from PC to Mac, or vice versa. Adobe gives owners of their products a break when upgrading to a newer version on the same platform, but not when moving to another platform. The high expense makes us consider other companies' software.

Best Buy offers financing for hardware purchase. Terms are 18 months, same as cash. That might make the new MacBook purchase a little easier on the family budget. Just don't miss a monthly payment, or you'll face significant interest charges.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Choosing this right mac is a tough call, I will be buying a new one is the next few months as well.

So as of now it sounds like you are choosing between:

rMBP w/ 512 SSD base 15"
rMBP w/ 256 SSD base 15"
Non retina 15" MBP - wide anti-glare

do i have that right?

You mentioned that the non-retina is a monster to the retina MBP, I looked at he specs and it's 1 lb heavier. One thing I have been considering, if you have to add an external drive to the rMBP, doesn't that make them equal?

On the non retina you can add a 256 SSD for ~$180 then put the stock HDD where the CD drive is with a data doubler. Boom - now you are at equal weight to the rMBP with an external drive. You can also add 16gb of RAM for cheap.

I am waivering between the following set ups:

-27" imac
-15" rMBP
-15" non retina MBP + 27" monitor

for me the real debate what I would rather look at for long period of time - the 27" monitor or the 15" retina screen (with better resolution) for photos. All seem to be good options.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
LOL, I don't think I called the traditional 15" a "monster" in size, but 25% heavier than the rMBP, and something like 50% thicker chassis are very noticeable if you transporting it regularly.

Not having a DVD drive is a bummer, but not very problematic really. For external backup, a MyGig or TimeCapsule type unit seems pretty useful, and backups are automatic and wireless when I'm home, which is at least a few times a week.

For editing photos and videos, a big monitor can't be beat, but that really only represents a small fraction of my daily actual use, for which the 15" screen size seems pretty well suited, not requiring an independent display.... or so I hope.

Edit: I learned that the built in Migration Assistant software utility (MacOSX) can be used to allow another machine with a DVD to write to the rMBP that does not have a DVD player. Migration Assistant can grab files off the other machines DVD player via WiFi, Ethernet, Firewire or USB. Since the rMPB does not have Firewire or Ethernet, I'd have to get a Firewire-to-Thunderbolt or Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt cable for fast transfers, or WiFi or USB for slow transfers. Since I think the Ethernet adapter will be useful in other business settings, that is the option I'm going with. I'll just rip DVD's from my wife's or son's macbooks and transfer the data to the rMPB.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
WooHoo! I pulled the trigger and bought the 15" rMBP. 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD. It was in stock via online apple store, with free express shipping, should be in my hands by Friday or Saturday. The online credit app for the interest free 18 month plan was super easy and fast, and was automatically applied to the Store during checkout.

matt s

Explorer
Right on have fun with it. In answer to your question I was mobile with it most of the time and "docked" when I needed to do real heavy editing work work. Most of my shoots result in a few hundred images to process and once I processed with dual screens it was hard to edit on just the laptop screen. It can be done, but in the field I mainly download backup sort and cull with the laptop and wait to do color correction and other edits when I can get it up on the big screen. That said I have edited a few shoots feet up and couch bound watching TV. It's kinda nice to to have the option.

Now it's docked most of the time due to the acquisition of an iPad that handles most of my communication, work related social media and browsing needs, which honestly comprises the bulk of my computer needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94