Multi use trailers? post your ideas photos

Silver dude

Xplorer
I've been considering a camping trailer. I really want a teardrop trailer but seeing how I would only use it while camping and take up garage space otherwise I've decided against that setup. I'm thinking some sort of multi purpose multi use trailer would be far more suitable and useful. The Jumping Jack and lifetime trailers are neat however I don't really need a massive family cavernous tent. I'm also skeptical on the quality of the tent in extreme use. I would prefer to stay with a RTT setup as I could haul dirtbikes with the trailer while having the tent on the vehicle roof. Or put the tent on the trailer if I want to travel light. Also considering perhaps a converted enclosed trailer setup with fold up beds or the like however i feel it might be to much trailer to have in the woods.

What I think I'm looking for is like a smaller utility trailer with upgraded wheels and suspension. Very similar to many of the trailers on the forum the M101, Bantam, so on. Just not sure as small as they look online. Not really needing a huge trailer I have access to a 5x10 utility that I can borrow if needed to haul large items like drywall, loads of rock etc.

Type of misc loads I plan to haul (not all at one)

* One or two 600cc dual sport bikes. (important for road rescues or trip transport)
* Two Kayaks (easier to access then the roof and possibly better mileage)
* Roof tent and camping gear (take the load off the truck so the truck drives as it should)
* Misc Craigslist and Hardware store purchases. (Ready to go get anything at a moments notice)

I'm looking for ideas and pictures of your trailers to get ideas for a multi use setup.

grimbo

Explorer
Why not build a teardrop pod that can be mounted to a flatbed trailer. Remove it when not camping. Then you could build sides etc for the trailer depending on needs.

wyojoe

Adventurer
Well, I opted for the Jumping Jack when I was looking for a trailer. Even though the tent is rather large (8'x12' when opened), it is nice to have that much room when camping. I have also used it for a "conference room" of sorts, when the leadership of our church's men's camp met to discuss camp awards on the last night of our camp. It worked well for the group of five or six to sit and talk comfortably. If you camp with a group, and everyone else has smaller tents, it's a nice place to be able to get together during inclement weather. It has a decent sized table inside that folds down when closing up the tent. This worked well for our conference so people had a place to put drinks, papers, etc.

The tent is made from heavy canvas, and is very well made. I would say it's comparable to the better known brands of canvas tents such as Kodiak or Springbar. In fact, it may have even been made by one of those companies, but I am not certain, and don't have proof of that. There are windows all around, so ventilation is not a problem in warm weather. Like any tent, it does get cold inside when it's cold outside, so if camping in cold weather, warm bedding is a must. I also have a "Big Buddy" heater that I use in mine, but I prefer not to leave it on after I go to bed.

The thing I really like about the Jumping Jack is that I can carry a lot of extra stuff on top of the trailer. This could be a couple of ATVs or dirt bikes, kayaks, extra camping gear, firewood, or just about anything else that can be strapped on top. I usually carry extra camping gear when I camp with the church group, in case anyone forgot something or doesn't own it. It has worked very well for this purpose.

The downside to having the extra carrying capability is that it has to be off-loaded before the tent can be set up. I usually carry everything in about six large totes, so it's easily off-loaded. The tent can then be set up in a matter of just a few minutes. I have had my camp fully set up in as little as 15 minutes after pulling in to a site, and that was done by myself without extra help.

It can be used as a 5'x8' high sided utility trailer by removing the tent module from the trailer. This is not particularly difficult, but it's something you would want help with, as the tent module is quite heavy (~250 lbs.). I have used the trailer to haul branches and twigs to the dump after trimming my trees in the spring. It's great for that type of thing, as well as moving furniture or appliances.

Overall, I really like my Jumping Jack for its versatility as well as its ruggedness. I will never attempt to tow it over anything extreme, but it does work well on desert tracks and backroads. I've taken it through several states and it has worked very well for me on my adventures. It's price may be a bit too high for some folks, and the design won't work for everyone, but it does have its advantages for those looking for a multi-use trailer, and for some folks, like myself, the Jumping Jack is a good value for the cost.

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
That's EXACT philosophy behind the design of our trailers. Lockable aluminum lid, a trailer rack that you can fit kayaks under, RTT, soft tonneau, open bed. All switchable within a few minutes!

-Josh

Attachments

• image06.jpg
    image06.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 42
  • lid4.jpg
    lid4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1541.jpg
    IMG_1541.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 26
  • spare_tire_carrier.jpg
    spare_tire_carrier.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image16.jpg
    image16.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 26
  • jk_wheels5.jpg
    jk_wheels5.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 24

Woods

Explorer
I doubt that this is what you're looking for, as it's not a speedy conversion from camping to flatbed. But I designed my trailer to be both.

Without box:
s1110007.jpg

With camping box:
a20with20box.jpg

I like the suggestion of the removable teardrop pod.

And if you want something all built and ready, Manley seems like a great company with a great product.

80DDYota

These are the same reasons why i built mine. I wanted to be able to haul different items and still use for camping and hauling the mountain bikes. Putting a rack over the bed of the trailer will alow you to carry many things like lumber, RTT, bikes, what ever large items that can fit above. Still keeping the bed open for smaller goods. So with this, I came accross of an idea that fit what I was looking for and built it with my own twist. I mounted the generator for powering my welder, lights and tools. Its still work in progress, need to mount the bike racks and a tent cot. The racks on top was made for a 4x8 sheet of plywood and I'm still able to open the side bins for tools and smaller items.

Photo231.jpg

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I have a second gen lifetime tent trailer. I acquired the floor model for $1400, assmbled. I changed tires out for a se of 15's and lifted the trail so they would not rub. i wanted a first gen or jumping jacl, but coat was a factor.

For me, offroad will be fire trails at the most. It will see camping duty 3-4 times a year but utility 2-3 dozen times a year. After my last load, the axle will get replaced with a 3500#, just for carrying capaicity.

It is not ideal, but it works well.

wingysataday

Adventurer
Sorry GDsqdcr, I have only compared the two online but I have not actually seen the 2nd gen in person. I was really close to buying the 2nd gen when I found out how inexpensive they were. My trailer is so well thought out it's crazy. I am very impressed with the lifetime product. The 1st gen are almost non-existent.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
No apology required. I would MUCH rather have a 1st gen, design is better. However a floor model for half of list price, I'll try it!

Silver dude

Xplorer
Why not build a teardrop pod that can be mounted to a flatbed trailer. Remove it when not camping. Then you could build sides etc for the trailer depending on needs.
I have considered it. But, with the very limited garage space and not wanting to store it outdoors I kind of wrote the idea off. I'm thinking a smaller trailer that I can easily push outside if I have a large weekend garage project to attend to, to get my workspace back. I could do a smaller teardrop but I usually travel with my girlfriend making space limited. The tow rig is rather small a Xterra v6 with only 3500lb towing capacity overloaded with armor. So perhaps less is more.. I also don't camp that frequently to warrant enclosed camping just yet. I figure if the weather turns real bad the truck would be empty and her and I could sleep in the cargo area in a pinch. Last year we had violent storms while camping the drivers seats left some to be desired. More so looking for a way to ease the load off the truck and carry in organization. I'm also struggling with design of such a project engineering a cabin that large and heavy that can lift off easily. Perhaps the jacks from a pickup camper but they don't seem off road worthy or easy to work with. Thank you for the suggestion though.
That's EXACT philosophy behind the design of our trailers.
:Wow1: Those trailers are amazing thanks so much for the photos.

I doubt that this is what you're looking for, as it's not a speedy conversion from camping to flatbed. But I designed my trailer to be both.
Yours certainly has the wheels in my head turning.. In flat bed mode it would work great to haul a motorcycle or other odd cargo. I actually started conceptualizing on a napkin at work today out of boredom. Almost thinking something similar but with a removable tail gate and front gate so that rather then removing the box I'd just send the large cargo thru. Also considered ways the box could be easily removed perhaps little wheels on the cargo box or leverage arms to lift the cargo box off allowing the trailer to roll right out. I like it though I'm skeptical how useful a flatbed that small would be. Thanks for the pictures.

If you can find a 1st gen lifetime tent trailer it;s the ultimate in dual purpose. 2nd gen are pretty lame but will get the job done. http://www.lifetime.com/trailers/lifetime-tent-trailer/65043.
I like the lifetime trailers. But, feel a tent that large would be more then I need. We usually lake camp and the wind can be quite blasting at times. I am looking for one on Craigslist or other sort of great deal on one. The modulation and usefulness attracts me. The tent packed in the bottom seems like a problem if I was to haul a leaky transmission or load of mulch. Not certain really how they work though I would prefer not hauling a tent all the time. The 1st gen ones look awesome. I do appreciate the posts on them here in this thread makes me want them all the more.

These are the same reasons why i built mine. I wanted to be able to haul different items and still use for camping and hauling the mountain bikes. Putting a rack over the bed of the trailer will alow you to carry many things like lumber, RTT, bikes, what ever large items that can fit above. Still keeping the bed open for smaller goods. So with this, I came accross of an idea that fit what I was looking for and built it with my own twist. I mounted the generator for powering my welder, lights and tools. Its still work in progress, need to mount the bike racks and a tent cot. The racks on top was made for a 4x8 sheet of plywood and I'm still able to open the side bins for tools and smaller items.

Forgot completely about the roof racks usefulness for cargo. My xterra has a nice rack. Many times at the hardware store I have fantasized about bringing say large 4x8 sheets of plywood home. But, as high as it would be on the vehicle also directly in the wind current it just seems unreasonable unsafe and hard to hoist something well over my head. But, with a trailer the rack would be far lower out of the wind current making it much more useful. I appreciate the post and pictures very nice trailer!

80DDYota

That's the great thing about designing and building your own trailer. After finding the best solution, next is making it a reality. I know that's was how I started and ending up with mine. If I had to haul dirt bikes I could have just added a foot or so to the length. Like I said, that the best part about making your own. It becomes yours from start to finish. Good luck on your search, hope to see what you come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior