Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help On A New to me truck.

Maybe try a 2000 and up Ford F-150. My grandfather has one with the crew cab and short box and has gotten a lot of use out of it for the farm/house/and other things he hauls with it. It's got the 5.4 gas motor and those motors are common enough to the point that you could get aftermarket upgrades or replacement parts really easy and cheap. What sucks about it though is that it's only getting like 12-15 mpg per tank. Hence, why I think diesel is so much better.

There is nothing good about a 5.4 ford. if there not eating coil packs spitting plugs or having the worst exhaust leaks. there gettin pore mileage with trans shudder.
    2000 5.4 superduty crew cab short box Warn 12m 315 MaxxisBighorns

Quote Originally Posted by 98dango View Post
    There is nothing good about a 5.4 ford. if there not eating coil packs spitting plugs or having the worst exhaust leaks. there gettin pore mileage with trans shudder.
    I agree.
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by 98dango View Post
    I have owned four Ford trucks equipped with 5.4L and Autos and not one single issue with drivetrain. Nothing in 1/2 million kms. Maybe I am either lucky or stupid. In fact the only people I know that talk about these issues are people on the Internet.

Father-in-law has a 2006 Ram 1500 with the MDS 5.7L and he loves it. The interior is second rate in fit and finish compared to the Ford. My 2004 Expedition can actually tow more than his truck. Wait it gets better. When he goes to get the spark plugs changed he has 16 of them to pay four. That $500 bill. Shocks have died on his relatively low mileage truck. Headlights suck bulbs die frequently. The blah interior is enough to make me puke. I personally find the gm and dodge interiors are crap.

From my experience which isn't that much, the Ford has the lowest operating cost. Diesel parts and service are pricey no question what you gain in mileage and power you quickly burn up in injectors, lift pumps, brakes and tires. Bigger toys = bigger bills.

Pretty sure you can decipher which years had the spark plug problem. As for trans shudder I have yet to hear about this phenomena typically Ford has the toughest autos in a truck.
    '78 Bronco
    '97 328i
    '04 Expedition

you are such a tease dango!

first its, i am tempted to get a diesel

then its, i am glad you like your diesel, but they suck

after that its, in a perfect world i would swap my first gen cummins in a obs chevy crew

make up your mind bro! you sound like a chick

for the closet loving diesel sniffing side of 98 dango,

if the obs crew is what you want, then get an obs crew with a small block and be happy with the low teens for mileage until you can swap in the cummins. (personally i hate the chevy ifs, but to each his own)

for the anti diesel fascist -(jk, geez, lighten up)- side of 98 dango

unless your idea of fair mpg is low teens it is going to be hard to find something that meets your criteria. an ecoboost or hemi with cylinder shut down would get decent mpg and have some power for towing, but there is a cha-ching factor as well.

i guess there are some other things i would need to know before i could recommend a gas powered rig for you. is a solid front axle important? stick or auto?

a stick will get you better mpg be less maintenence, solid axle is simple, sturdy, etc. if you went with a solid axle, stick, gas engine, you would be left with dodge or a ford. fairly bullet proof, except for little things. just need to know your preferences.

just some ramblings. and even if you still deny your love for diesel. we except you the way you are

Notsure about all the 5.4 hate. Mines been great. The ones in our Fleet have been fine as well.

No race horse, but it tows 10k fine.
    '08 Ford F250 XL
    '02 Honda CRF450r,
    '04 Ford Mach1
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400S
    '12 Ducati Panigale 1199S

I vote GMT-800 3/4 ton series trucks. Whether Silverado or Sierra either one with a 6.0l would be a great canidate for your needs. Cheaper to maintain than a diesel but will still pull a respectable amount. A truck is a truck therefore use it as a truck, and don't expect it to be luxurious on the inside. Just my two cents. Good luck with the search!

Well it's like this. A Diesel is nice but honestly we don't need one. I need a truck that can tow 7k very rare occasion.The rest of the time it will be empty or have 1 polaris sportsman and 1 yamaha blaster on a flat bed or on a small trailer. The only other thing would be my sonoma on a tow bar.

But I'm a guy I want more power i want a built 12 valve in a nice crew cab.

honestly i think if that is the case i would suggest looking for that obs crew cab, preferably with a 5.7l and a 5 speed since you don't seem to mind the gm's. it would be one step closer to your goal of a cummins in a crew. they tend to go fairly cheap as well.

i had a 95 gmc 1/2t that towed a 3000 lbs trailer loaded with a 5000 lbs truck and all my crap, over the appalachian. would have been a lot less scary in a one ton with decent brakes. the engine was almost redlined, but it did the job without complaint. albeit slowly.

The truck that was just totaled was a 02 1500 4.8 5speed. Crank window with ac and cruse.We are good with basic trucks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast