Help On A New to me truck.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Ok I need a newer truck. My truck is totaled due to a snow problem.

What we need is a crew cab or super cab short box. We don't haul much really but when I do power is needed. I would like a truck that gets.fair.mileage. I also live in a.30 foot pull behind trailer. So what ever we get has to haul a.minimum of 7900 out.back and 2 polaris 500 on the bed. This load is not often but it is required of the truck.

Part of me wants a diesel but the cost of ownership is killing me. W honestly tow 2 times a year. so a gas truck will do. And i want the.most truck i can get in the 8-12k range.

bftank

Explorer
um diesel stick, 86-97 f350 or dodge 89-98 3/4t or 1t. i have had diesel and gas trucks. not much different maintainence wise. and in my opinion the power, mpg, and simplicity of the mechanical diesel (or powerstroke) out weigh the gas every time. i know that isn't every ones opinion. just wanted to give you mine. very satisfied with the four diesels that i have had.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Any early 90's late 80's truck you like. May tow slower than a new common rail diesel, but parts will be stupid cheaper.

Rot Box

Explorer
Here's my opinion :) If you don't need four doors a 94-98 12v Cummins/5speed will do everything you want and more--lots more. I don't know anyone who regretted buying a 12valve and most keep them for a very long time. Whether you tow a lot of weight everyday or just need a truck to take occasional loads to the dump with this is my pick hands down.

If you think you might need 4 doors now or later... You know my vote: Turbocharged IDI with a 5speed :bike_rider:

Not all diesels are expensive to own and maintain.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm so glad you all like your diesel but i don't. Yes a common rail cummins or 7.3 are great. My problem is i can get a 05 gas for the cost of a 96 diesel. A crew or super cab is a must wife kid dog. Also every diesel i have owned goes therw brakes and tires faster on top of being almost usles off road as they have 90% of there weight over the front tiers.

I have owned many a diesel truck last being a 04.crew cab long box cummins 6 speed. I sold it due to.its.cost 120$ oil.change ever 2 months and 20-25k out of 1200 dollar tires.

Neow on the a gas 3/4 ton. I found a fairly clean 04.dodge.crew cab short flat bed. It has 146k on it 5.7 hemi automatic.
Still un sure of what truck.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Hemi's do pretty good my grandpa has one that he used to move his camper. It is a nice truck he also lives in flat country so passes are not a problem. Ford idi's use 10 quarts of oil a cummins 12 valve uses 12 quarts thay can also go 7-10k on their oil. Ford power strokes use 16 quarts.

If you like the hemi you might look at a mega cab. I liked my mega cab cummins, got rid of it because I paid for the f350 I bought with less than it would cost to fix the injection system on that cr cummins.

Gas trucks are cheaper. I would stay away from the ford spark plug popping engine all v10's. For solid axle trucks you need to stay ford or dodge. You could also look for a power wagon.

I vote mega cab or power wagon.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I would look at does.but ya you can't use a spark plug ford. A MEGA cab would be nice but more than I need or want to.spend. We have a 05 tank and a 06 impalla ss. All the truck will be used for is my commute to work 7 blocks. The hauling of quads we have not bought yet. I have a gmc sonoma that is getting rebuilt for expo use.

Rot Box

Explorer
I'm so glad you all like your diesel but i don't. Yes a common rail cummins or 7.3 are great.

I like some diesels most of which use mechanical injection. I wouldn't own a common rail anything unless I was using it to make money.

If you're after a truck built later than the early 00's I would go with a gasser. Not sure which gasser though... I don't know much about them. I thought my friends Power Wagon was neat until he said it gets single digit fuel economy :Wow1:

98dango

Expedition Leader
In a perfect world I would use the 93 12valve i have and install it ons 88-99 chevy crew cab short box. But i need a good to go dd truck.

njtacoma

Explorer
There was a thread talking about the pre 08 mega cab 1500 Dodge Rams. THey were built on the 2500 chassis only available with Gas engines, but still 8 lug. For all intents a 2500 truck, not sure if there is a price difference at all.

Here it is: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...b-Poor-Man-s-Power-Wagon?highlight=dodge+mega

interesting conversation on here about Gas vs. Diesel, Larry brings up some good points, most of what you already know, but good read nonetheless: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/87295-What-do-I-do?highlight=diesel

Good luck in your search.

88sport

Maybe try a 2000 and up Ford F-150. My grandfather has one with the crew cab and short box and has gotten a lot of use out of it for the farm/house/and other things he hauls with it. It's got the 5.4 gas motor and those motors are common enough to the point that you could get aftermarket upgrades or replacement parts really easy and cheap. What sucks about it though is that it's only getting like 12-15 mpg per tank. Hence, why I think diesel is so much better.

98dango

Expedition Leader
There is nothing good about a 5.4 ford. if there not eating coil packs spitting plugs or having the worst exhaust leaks. there gettin pore mileage with trans shudder.

78Bronco

Explorer
There is nothing good about a 5.4 ford. if there not eating coil packs spitting plugs or having the worst exhaust leaks. there gettin pore mileage with trans shudder.

I have owned four Ford trucks equipped with 5.4L and Autos and not one single issue with drivetrain. Nothing in 1/2 million kms. Maybe I am either lucky or stupid. In fact the only people I know that talk about these issues are people on the Internet.

Father-in-law has a 2006 Ram 1500 with the MDS 5.7L and he loves it. The interior is second rate in fit and finish compared to the Ford. My 2004 Expedition can actually tow more than his truck. Wait it gets better. When he goes to get the spark plugs changed he has 16 of them to pay four. That $500 bill. Shocks have died on his relatively low mileage truck. Headlights suck bulbs die frequently. The blah interior is enough to make me puke. I personally find the gm and dodge interiors are crap.

From my experience which isn't that much, the Ford has the lowest operating cost. Diesel parts and service are pricey no question what you gain in mileage and power you quickly burn up in injectors, lift pumps, brakes and tires. Bigger toys = bigger bills.

Pretty sure you can decipher which years had the spark plug problem. As for trans shudder I have yet to hear about this phenomena typically Ford has the toughest autos in a truck.

bftank

Explorer
you are such a tease dango!

first its, i am tempted to get a diesel

then its, i am glad you like your diesel, but they suck

after that its, in a perfect world i would swap my first gen cummins in a obs chevy crew

make up your mind bro! you sound like a chick:sombrero:

for the closet loving diesel sniffing side of 98 dango,

if the obs crew is what you want, then get an obs crew with a small block and be happy with the low teens for mileage until you can swap in the cummins. (personally i hate the chevy ifs, but to each his own)

for the anti diesel fascist -(jk, geez, lighten up:elkgrin:)- side of 98 dango

unless your idea of fair mpg is low teens it is going to be hard to find something that meets your criteria. an ecoboost or hemi with cylinder shut down would get decent mpg and have some power for towing, but there is a cha-ching factor as well.

i guess there are some other things i would need to know before i could recommend a gas powered rig for you. is a solid front axle important? stick or auto?

a stick will get you better mpg be less maintenence, solid axle is simple, sturdy, etc. if you went with a solid axle, stick, gas engine, you would be left with dodge or a ford. fairly bullet proof, except for little things. just need to know your preferences.

just some ramblings. and even if you still deny your love for diesel. we except you the way you are:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles