Help On A New to me truck.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Notsure about all the 5.4 hate. Mines been great. The ones in our Fleet have been fine as well.

No race horse, but it tows 10k fine.

elee

Observer
I vote GMT-800 3/4 ton series trucks. Whether Silverado or Sierra either one with a 6.0l would be a great canidate for your needs. Cheaper to maintain than a diesel but will still pull a respectable amount. A truck is a truck therefore use it as a truck, and don't expect it to be luxurious on the inside. Just my two cents. Good luck with the search!

98dango

Expedition Leader
Well it's like this. A Diesel is nice but honestly we don't need one. I need a truck that can tow 7k very rare occasion.The rest of the time it will be empty or have 1 polaris sportsman and 1 yamaha blaster on a flat bed or on a small trailer. The only other thing would be my sonoma on a tow bar.

But I'm a guy I want more power i want a built 12 valve in a nice crew cab.

bftank

Explorer
honestly i think if that is the case i would suggest looking for that obs crew cab, preferably with a 5.7l and a 5 speed since you don't seem to mind the gm's. it would be one step closer to your goal of a cummins in a crew. they tend to go fairly cheap as well.

i had a 95 gmc 1/2t that towed a 3000 lbs trailer loaded with a 5000 lbs truck and all my crap, over the appalachian. would have been a lot less scary in a one ton with decent brakes. the engine was almost redlined, but it did the job without complaint. albeit slowly.

98dango

Expedition Leader
The truck that was just totaled was a 02 1500 4.8 5speed. Crank window with ac and cruse.We are good with basic trucks.

98dango

Expedition Leader
The better half found a 91 1 ton crew cab v series gm with a 454 and a 5 speed such should be a nv4500 and a right drop.241 or 205. Of course it's a long box but that's some thing i can fix later.

bftank

Explorer
sounds like a good option to me. 5 speed nv4500, dana 60 front, crew, although your gas mpg will be single digits or close too.

buy a cheap subie for your economy and build the crew!

98dango

Expedition Leader
We have a driver car now. The 06 impalla ss is a sweet ride on trips. However most of our trips involve camping so that is where my sonoma comes in. I could pull 18mpg on 38s with 3:73 gears and my 4.3. With the new set.up 35 and 4:10s not sure did cut weight over 1k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles