2 Trucks ?

MR. ED

Observer
Hey everyone I have a dilemma. I need a new commuter/play/work rig. I have a 2001 3/4 ton diesel that I use for my heavywork/ranch truck. It's getting up there in mileage, but seems fine for what it does. My son will soon be taking over the Subaru I've been using to commute with. I'm a carpenter and can fit most of what I need in there. I also sometimes drive up to 150 miles roundtrip.
I was wanting a rig that I can commute in and one that the kids and I can explore in- Elephant hill, Imogene, and similar S.W. favorites . I was thinking Landcruiser 100 or 80 series. But, it seems like the Tacomas/Frontiers are a little better on fuel(?). Does it seem weird to have 2 trucks? Thanks everyone, I've learned a lot hanging out around here. Sorry. Thought this was the TAcoma/4Runner area. Don't know how to switch it.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Welcome :bike_rider:

I have two trucks and it works out pretty good. The Ford gets used occasionally for hauling and backroad exploring. For trail duty, exploring and daily driving I use the 100series. Most will agree 100's get better milage than the 80's while having more power however they typically cost twice as much.

There are much better commuters out there but with those trails in mind I don't see anything wrong with the LC, Tacoma or 4runner. I don't think you could go wrong with the 100series I love mine and would recommend one to anyone.

toymaster

Explorer
Get what you need your the one paying for them. Vics are like tools, one cannot do everything. It seems weird to me people just having one vic and trying to make it do everything. :coffee:

mkitchen

Explorer
Not sure if two is enough

I have a Tacoma that is set up for both long and short trips and have a AT Horizon that goes behind it when needed but I also have a 71 Ford F 250 that I love dearly and enjoy using on the trails as well. It seems to go that if I am travelling by myself, I take the Ford and if it's me, Mo and the dogs, then we take the Tacoma. I too am starting to look for a LC 100 series to build up. Good luck on your choice.
Mikey

fjrohrs

Adventurer
I just went from 2 trucks down to one so my perspective might be a little different. Originally had an FJC that was built and then purchased a LX450 that would be my primary trail running/long distance truck. Having two built up vehicles seemed like a waste to me as I wanted to continue building them both but didn't have the funds to do that. Sold the FJC to get the fiance a vehicle but I didnt like DDing the LX as I felt I was wasting it. Bought a new F-150 which gets surprisingly good mileage (20-21 on the highway) and have been using it as my exploring (not trails) vehicle and DD. Listed the LX for sale because I wasn't using it much anymore and didn't want to maintain two rigs in addition to my fiances. Now that it's gone I really miss having two vehicles and the luxuries that provides (can fix one and drive the other, etc).

That being said, we own an 06 100 that does not do very well on gas so chosing that as a commuter doesn't seem like the best idea. Weight will be your biggest issue as you build the 100 or a tacoma as mileage will shrink drastically. FJC got 20 mpg on the highway and when I was done it got 15. LX was a bit of a different story but averaged 13-14 on the highway.

Ultimately, do what makes you happy and enjoy!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Get what you need your the one paying for them. Vics are like tools, one cannot do everything. It seems weird to me people just having one vic and trying to make it do everything. :coffee:
I concur. I'm single and have 4 vehicles. Most of my driving life I've always had at least 2 vehicles.

ExpoMike

I agree, I am married and have 6 vehicles. I have almost always had 2 or more at any one time. Doesn't seem weird to me.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Seems weird to me. I have always had the one I drive and the wife has on to drive. However, if I could afford it we would get the wife a car and save on our Tundra which currently is here DD. I just get attached to the vehicle i drive. I like having my tools and things in it and don't like switching between vehicles.

ExpoMike

One of the biggest reasons I don't like my adventure rig being my primary DD vehicle is, with the additional miles driven, the likelihood of an accident happening, that could total the vehicle, is much higher. This almost happened to TacoDoc with his Tacoma. Guy was drunk and caused a fair amount of damage to the front. Luckily for him, it wasn't too bad but I think it required a body panel or two, plus a new ARB bumper, paint work, etc. It would have really sucked had it totaled the rig and he would have to start over. Likely he would not have been made whole as insurance doesn't really pay out nearly as much as cost, time and effort that goes into a build.

By keeping my rig not my primary, it lowers that risk and keeps the mileage down, which can cut down on maintenance costs, worn parts, etc. If the means is there, I definitely like keeping my DD different than my adventure rig.

blakeape

Adventurer
Only 2 !?!? I don't think I could live with only 2 rigs, right now I have 8, but only 3 are currently drivable. I am of the "many arrows in the quiver" philosophy. I would rather have a number of vehicles good at specific individual tasks than 1 that is mediocre at all. That being said my newest vehicle is a 97 and all but 1 have over 175K miles on them. I also consider keeping older vehicles running a form of recycling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles