Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dodgexped's 06 silverado Build-up

Default dodgexped's 06 silverado Build-up

Let me introduce my self and my rigs as this is my first post after practically living on this site for the last year. I live in Montana, and am part time faculty at Montana State University. I teach rappelling, advanced navigation, basic survival, and I do all the Leave No Trace training. I guide mountaineering, rock climbing, and backpacking trips during the summer as well as facilitating challenge course days.

Now on to the dodge that I just got rid of.

In the summer of 2011 I got a job guiding out of Minturn CO. Sadly housing was not included so I started checking out housing. Ha yeah right affordable housing in vail valley. Plus I was saving up for an engagement ring so I said to myself "colorado is full of public lands I will just live in my truck for three months". Thats what I did. It was awesome. Heres a little vid I made of my first set up. I have a lot more pictures on my blog from that summer but it it also has personal stuff on it so just FYI its not all about awesome truck living. http://thelongandwindingroad.weebly.com Another FYI I am not a great blogger.

I love/loved that truck, but it had to go. The front end was a joke, and where I live in Montana I NEED to be able to run my burly chains. Last Monday I snagged this bad boy for 7800 with 93,000 on the clock, super clean.
    577760_581816848404_825329301_n.jpg

2006 Silverado WT. 4.3l v6 so I get more truck for the same economy as my old v8 dodge. I know I know, I already miss the V8. 5 speed standard, floor shifting t-case, vinyl floor and crank windows.
    Then yesterday I scored a topper off craigslist.
    197852_582114212484_688184860_n.jpg

Right now I am visiting my folks in Chicago but as soon as I get back to Montana I am going to get started on a platform, just in time for ski season.

My wife to be and I just finished a 3000 mile trip in our 96 subaru (also a 5 spd), but thats not exactly for the full size domestic board!
    IMGP2591.jpg
    What I know for sure I want to do to this truck

Truck:
    Get the under the hood dual battery system set up
    winch bumper and winch
    some aux lighting
    possible steering upgrade? Still researching that
    swap in 2500 torsion bars
    get my CB wired up
    behind the seat mounts for my 45-70 guide gun (grizz stopper) my AR (things smaller than grizz stopper) and a under dash mount for the XD. Now now before you scream GUN NUT! GUN NUT! behind the seat is super inconvenient and bring a long gun to bear in the cab just isnt happening, thats why I want a nifty mount for the XD up front. Also its montana, so going out with just two guns makes me feel underdressed.

Camper set up:
    Platform
    house battery/inverter
    under platform storage
    removable secure food storage (grizz precaution)
    and... anything else the good people of expedition portal can convince me is necessary

I am going to try ad keep it as simple as I can with out it looking all redneck.

This is my first GM product so please chime in with anything I should be looking out for. I did my due diligence in researching my new vehicle, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss anything. (yes I realize it has IFS! haha). Also its my first full size, so much room! So any body with a clever set for a camper shell let me know. I have a few plans formed in my head but I am always looking for a new take on a project or new and better ideas.
    Last edited by dodgexped; 12-09-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Nice truck sir. You have a good start i recently lost my 02 chevy 1/2 ton i.had the 4.8v8 but we had no.problems with the truck. It made threw many a Wyoming/Montana winter. Your choice of a.v6 may leave you a bit lacking in.power but keep your loads light.
    2000 5.4 superduty crew cab short box Warn 12m 315 MaxxisBighorns

Here are some good threads that we like regarding Silverado buildups:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...07-Chevy-Build

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...erado-s-Thread

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-Silverado-Z71

We'll post later some pics on our dual battery setup for you.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, Im from the government and Im here to help. Ronald Reagan

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine

thanks 98dango, got those book marked!

The 4.3 in my 06 is anemic at best.... But you have the 5 speed and 4wd gearing to help.

Wish my truck was the 5 speed

Very cool, how was living in the truck? would you do it again?

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. The biggest problem was that short dodge bed, I had to sleep diagonal. Sometimes after a day of hard climbing I would wish I had a bed to go home to but then I would look around and take a deep breath of mountain air and say "naw I'm good"

Yeah I am already missing my 4.7 with 4.10 rear end. I wanted the 4.8 8 but this truck came at the right time with the right price with the 5speed which was my biggest priority.

Unfortunately mine has the automatic with 3:23 gears. I never keep more than 15 gallons in the tank; otherwise it's a real dog around town.
    Last edited by 4BT; 12-10-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Love my burton, GMC, and glocks. I think we would get along well!
    2002 cc sb build. Sold.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-DuraMax-build

2008, FJ, 6m/t, brick, with all the important buttons.. build thread coming soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast