dodgexped's 06 silverado Build-up

dodgexped

Let me introduce my self and my rigs as this is my first post after practically living on this site for the last year. I live in Montana, and am part time faculty at Montana State University. I teach rappelling, advanced navigation, basic survival, and I do all the Leave No Trace training. I guide mountaineering, rock climbing, and backpacking trips during the summer as well as facilitating challenge course days.

Now on to the dodge that I just got rid of.

In the summer of 2011 I got a job guiding out of Minturn CO. Sadly housing was not included so I started checking out housing. Ha yeah right affordable housing in vail valley. Plus I was saving up for an engagement ring so I said to myself "colorado is full of public lands I will just live in my truck for three months". Thats what I did. It was awesome. Heres a little vid I made of my first set up. I have a lot more pictures on my blog from that summer but it it also has personal stuff on it so just FYI its not all about awesome truck living. http://thelongandwindingroad.weebly.com Another FYI I am not a great blogger.

I love/loved that truck, but it had to go. The front end was a joke, and where I live in Montana I NEED to be able to run my burly chains. Last Monday I snagged this bad boy for 7800 with 93,000 on the clock, super clean.
577760_581816848404_825329301_n.jpg

2006 Silverado WT. 4.3l v6 so I get more truck for the same economy as my old v8 dodge. I know I know, I already miss the V8. 5 speed standard, floor shifting t-case, vinyl floor and crank windows.
Then yesterday I scored a topper off craigslist.
197852_582114212484_688184860_n.jpg

Right now I am visiting my folks in Chicago but as soon as I get back to Montana I am going to get started on a platform, just in time for ski season.

My wife to be and I just finished a 3000 mile trip in our 96 subaru (also a 5 spd), but thats not exactly for the full size domestic board!
IMGP2591.jpg
What I know for sure I want to do to this truck

Truck:
Get the under the hood dual battery system set up
winch bumper and winch
some aux lighting
possible steering upgrade? Still researching that
swap in 2500 torsion bars
get my CB wired up
behind the seat mounts for my 45-70 guide gun (grizz stopper) my AR (things smaller than grizz stopper) and a under dash mount for the XD. Now now before you scream GUN NUT! GUN NUT! behind the seat is super inconvenient and bring a long gun to bear in the cab just isnt happening, thats why I want a nifty mount for the XD up front. Also its montana, so going out with just two guns makes me feel underdressed.

Camper set up:
Platform
house battery/inverter
under platform storage
removable secure food storage (grizz precaution)
and... anything else the good people of expedition portal can convince me is necessary

I am going to try ad keep it as simple as I can with out it looking all redneck.

This is my first GM product so please chime in with anything I should be looking out for. I did my due diligence in researching my new vehicle, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss anything. (yes I realize it has IFS! haha). Also its my first full size, so much room! So any body with a clever set for a camper shell let me know. I have a few plans formed in my head but I am always looking for a new take on a project or new and better ideas.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
Nice truck sir. You have a good start i recently lost my 02 chevy 1/2 ton i.had the 4.8v8 but we had no.problems with the truck. It made threw many a Wyoming/Montana winter. Your choice of a.v6 may leave you a bit lacking in.power but keep your loads light.

dodgexped

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. The biggest problem was that short dodge bed, I had to sleep diagonal. Sometimes after a day of hard climbing I would wish I had a bed to go home to but then I would look around and take a deep breath of mountain air and say "naw I'm good"

dodgexped

Yeah I am already missing my 4.7 with 4.10 rear end. I wanted the 4.8 8 but this truck came at the right time with the right price with the 5speed which was my biggest priority.

dodgexped

After driving the truck 1200 miles back to Montana I can say on the highway the 4.3 is a dog! Haha the 5 speed makes it better though. Cruising is fine but passing is SLOW. But hand calculated at 75 mph averaged 17 mpg compared to my dodges 14- 15. And I can do about 430 miles per tank compared to the dodges 310. I am more than satisfied with the little v6 paired with the standard.

Last edited:
did you get this in highland park? i was looking at that same truck a month or two ago because of the low miles, good price and stick shift, but then i decided to replace the cab on my k5 and build a trazer.
Nice truck, and the 5 speed w/ the work truck package is nice and simple

dodgexped

Yeah I got it from highland park, the guy was kind of a ************, really difficult to deal with. I am glad you passed it up, for my sake!

dodgexped

Platform

I just finished most of the new platform, it just needs two little bracing blocks and a small ply wood brace. I built it pretty similar to the one in the dodge, except bigger! The sleeping platform is 52.5 inches x 75 with a 12 inch cabinet/cubby for storing jackets, books, flashlights ext... The front near the cab tilts up to access gear that is not needed every day, and that is where the batteries will go. The rear near the tailgate is fixed and plastic containers with every day gear will go under there. I like to keep my platforms light and simple which means absolutely no drawers! This platform is made of 3 5.5 foot sections of 2x6 and 1 and a half sheets of 5/8 osb so its very light and i can remove it by removing 9 easily accessible screws. I Haven't started yet on a small unit that will hold all the cooking stuff right by the tablegate, but when I finish it up I will throw some pictures up.
IMG_5518.jpg
Gives you an idea of the structure
IMG_4038.jpg
I have 10.5 inces of usable space under the platform, and I will be putting floors in those cubbies
IMG_6899.jpg

EDIT

Some pictures in better light

IMG_6956.jpg
IMG_9866.jpg
IMG_9857-2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Forum statistics