Vehicle GPS units

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I am in the middle of wanting to upgrade my GPS unit. I have a backup camera/7" lcd screen and wanted one that would display through the screen. Apparently that is asking too much. What Garmin has recommended is the use of a Dexl 760LMT which allows the backup camera to be connected to its 7" display. As I don't have a ton of room in the cab I need to keep things just large enough to see but not so large as to take up valuable space. Tried a notepad but was too large to keep mounted in the cab.

crismateski

American Adventurist
For instance, when I am going to explore an area new to me I bring up the area in question on the map on the computer and, using the Track tool, highlight the road/trail in pink. I then load that track onto my Montana and when I get to the area all I have to do is follow that pink line to follow the roads I am interested in. You cannot do that with a NUVI. As far as I know, no NUVI will allow tracks to be loaded to it.

I have the Garmin Nuvi Nulink 1690 live, and it will do tracks. It is not really obvious how to get it to work though. If you want more detail let me know

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I have the Garmin Nuvi Nulink 1690 live, and it will do tracks. It is not really obvious how to get it to work though. If you want more detail let me know

If you're saying you know of a way to create a track in Basecamp and then download that track to a Nuvi, I am definitely interested!

epicxcrider

Observer
Try the Garmin Montana. I love that unit for everything. Have a mount for my motorcycle and in my FJ - it also has a lithium battery so it can be used outside the vehicle. Takes AA's in a pinch.

Got Beer

Observer
I have used an iPad with the Motion X app for following way points and tracks. Plus it mapped my travel route. I used a Bad Elf GPS antenna puck placed on the dash for the GPS reception. App price ~$10, Bad Elf GPS puck ~$100. Looked good on iPad and worked good while driving around. We've used it for two years for chasing desert race vehicles. You download either topo and/or image based maps before you head out to trail and can switch between them as you need while traveling. The only limitation is the amount of memory before you return to a wifi connection or back in cell range to down load more maps. We had about 400-500 miles of topo coverage at a decent (code-in) scale all pre-downloaded and still had plenty of room. Touch screen worked great. Need to have the GPS puc and iPad to be plugged into 12-volt for them to work.

Torquey

Adventurer
I agree that MotionX WAS the best mapping software for the iPad... Until a few weeks ago when they stopped allowing the downloading of the good maps for offline use. I'm looking for a replacement but MotionX was fantastic and very capable, until now.

I am most impressed with my newest set up I have been using, namely a cheap first generation Wifi only iPad with bluetooth capability and new set Dual Bluetooth GPS unit. Dual xGPS150a. I now use GIA GPS APP and it has been zoo much better then anything else I have tried. I keep a Garmin 60 CSx as a back up and a map and compass, but love the IPAD. If I was made of money the IPAD mini would be a nicer size with all the other crap I haul on longer trips. Now I just need a good recommendation on a good and affordable mounting hardware set up for the IPAD.

Verizon thru their Navigator app wii give you off road capability, their units are satellite based I'm guessing, seems to work quite well on my I pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior