Vehicle GPS units

CodyB

Observer
I have been considering a GPS unit for my truck. Currently I have a Garmin 60CSx that I really like though I mostly just use for off-highway travel using topo maps on the GPS for navigation. I have looked briefly at the different Garmin units that are meant to be mounted in a vehicle but it seems as though all the maps are based on a cities. Can different topo maps be added to these units for navigation during travel in off-highway areas?

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have a Nuvi 5000 in my truck, I was able to add topo maps with the SD card slot in the side. The only complain, there is NO battery, the GPS will not work if its not plugged in. This has only been an issue once or twice in 4 or 5 years, other than that I love the GPS. It also has a video input for a back up camera, I use it to watch DVDs with a stand alone DVD player.

Garmin Nuvi 5000

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Most of the Garmin NUVI units can display topo maps - you can go on the Garmin web site and pull up the unit you might be interested in and it will tell you if topo maps are an option. But they don't come with topo maps - you'll have to load the maps onto an SD or mini-SD card and add them to the NUVI that way. You can buy the topo maps from Garmin or a variety of other sources - or you can download them from GPSFileDepot.com. I've found them to be in most ways superior to Garmin's offerings. Especially for Nevada, the Garmin 24k maps don't have a lot of the dirt roads on them; generally, they will be on the GPSFileDepot maps.

I also have the Garmin NUVI 5000 - it is a wonderful unit with a big, bright, sharp screen. But like any other NUVI, a lot of the features available on your handheld are not available on any NUVI. That's just the way Garmin sets them up. For instance, when I am going to explore an area new to me I bring up the area in question on the map on the computer and, using the Track tool, highlight the road/trail in pink. I then load that track onto my Montana and when I get to the area all I have to do is follow that pink line to follow the roads I am interested in. You cannot do that with a NUVI. As far as I know, no NUVI will allow tracks to be loaded to it.

So, if you are looking for a big-screen GPS that will do all that your current unit does, you cannot use a NUVI. You'll have to go with something like the Montana which can function as both street navigator and trail navigator.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Netbook and mapping software is almost as cheap as some of the GPS units. A large screen with all the other options that come with a netbook is the way to go IMO...if you have the room.

bfdiesel

Explorer
The iPad mini does not have a GPS chip in the way a GPS unit does. The cellular mini uses the cell towers to generate the coordinates not GPS satallites.

monark192

Observer
I use a Google Nexus 7 - has a GPS chip and is cheaper than the Ipad mini. Download the maps for the area i'm headed to from Backcountry Navigator before heading out.

hoser

Explorer
The iPad mini does not have a GPS chip in the way a GPS unit does. The cellular mini uses the cell towers to generate the coordinates not GPS satallites.
Doesn't the iPad Mini plus cellular have Assisted-GPS just like the rest of the cellular iPads? Assisted as in using cell towers for quick location and true GPS satellites for navigation?

bfdiesel

Explorer
Doesn't the iPad Mini plus cellular have Assisted-GPS just like the rest of the cellular iPads? Assisted as in using cell towers for quick location and true GPS satellites for navigation?

You have to get a additional gps receiver to run without cell service usually one that is Bluetooth compatible.

Last edited:

hoser

Explorer
You have to get a additional gps receiver to run without cell service usually one that is Bluetooth compatible.
From http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

iPad Mini Wi‑Fi
Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology

iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (AT&T)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (Verizon or Sprint)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

jim65wagon

We used a Garmin Nuvi 780 for several years and recently upgraded to a Garmin 2555 (with "lifetime" map and traffic updates) both will run a topo map, but I've never seen the need in the vehicle. The maps are complete enough to have most forest roads covered, and if we're really offroad they both leave a breadcrumb trail to find your way back. We do have 2 handheld GPS's (a garmin 60 and an ancient Magellan Gold) that have topo maps installed. These are for our hiking/kayaking forays.

lysol

Explorer
The Ipad and Ipad Mini with the 3g chip has a true gps chip builtin. You don't have to pay for the service, but get the true gps chip. The wifi-only models suck as far as acquiring a gps signal. Apps like Motion X GPS allow you to pre-load topo maps before you head out. Also allow you to customize the zoom levels. You really can't beat the Ipad platform. Find a way to mount one and feed it power and you're all set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier