Show us your rear cargo hitch setup?

YotaPilot

Adventurer
I was considering one of these recently when I was moving from California to Texas. When researching, I was leaning more toward the swing away type. The tilt one seems like it would be in the way when trying to access stuff stored in the back (or bed in my case).

59109.jpg

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CL2vyPyUkLQCFQmmPAod7lsARA

I ended up going with a U-Haul trailer in the end, so I don't have actual experience with either.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I didn't want the OEM 'half-a-rack' that Toyota saddled the FJC with, so I got mine without and picked up a hitch carrier instead, a ROLA 59502. At 56Wx23D and approx 62lbs empty it definitely leans more towards utility than convenience, lol. Had to modify my spare tire location to clear the basket rail, but it was worth the extra effort. This thing has been on the back of my FJC daily for almost 2yrs straight once I fitted the LED taillights. Has been all over Texas, up and down the PINS, is exposed to the elements 24/7 (but we also don't see any road-salting here). Needless to say it has seen regular abuse by me and several others who chose to follow too closely, lol. I use a couple of QuickFist mounts to carry a shovel when camping, and the expanded metal floor makes a great platform for carrying/cleaning the occasional dead critter. When the basket is empty it doesn't make a sound going down a bumpy track with the Hitch-Vise fitted. I also like that it has a spot to relocate my license plate to. Thinking about breaking it down and getting it blasted/powdercoated, but it sure has held up well.

And since you said 'Show us'...
P1010812.jpg

P1020148.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

013.jpg

P1010834.jpg

P1020479.jpg

P1020481.jpg

J

JWP58

FWIW your setup on your FJ is technically illegal. You cant cover up your rear license plate, it must be visible.

Im suprised on of Texas' finest hasnt informed you yet, its PC for a traffic stop.

StarGazer

Observer
My goal is to not strap anything to the roof. My wife and I pack light, sleeping in the 4Runner. I will eventually need a rear bumper with mounted tire.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
FWIW your setup on your FJ is technically illegal. You cant cover up your rear license plate, it must be visible. Im suprised on of Texas' finest hasnt informed you yet, its PC for a traffic stop.

You were fun as kid, weren't you?.. Jus' kidding. Yes, I did not have the plate relocated in any of those pictures, but I do carry a short set of bolts with washers and wingnuts on them just for such occasions. And it may not seem so, but only in the beach photo was the plate not readily visible. Once I got back to the entry to PINS I made a stop at the visitor's center dumpsters to empty my trash, shake the sand out, and reorganize. I don't have any pictures of the last time I had to move the plate to the carrier (because of six bales of hay). As for the law, I don't go out of my way to attract them because I'm sure they have better things to do than monitor my little lapses in judgement. I did have an officer follow me home once because I had a brake light out on my truck for three weeks (he had seen me in town multiple times), and he realized I might not know it because the lights on my cargo carrier are twice as bright. He was right. I didn't have a clue and no one else had told me.

My goal is to not strap anything to the roof. My wife and I pack light, sleeping in the 4Runner. I will eventually need a rear bumper with mounted tire.

I can honestly say be prepared to beef up your rear suspension or add some helper air bags in the rear coils if you're going to carry cargo at the hitch. I can comfortably carry a couple hundred pounds on the carrier (in addition to stuff in the rear of the truck), but the leverage that weight puts waaay out there behind the rear axle makes it feel like towing an overloaded, tongue-heavy trailer. Stock suspension is too soft to carry what most of these 2" hitch baskets are rated for (Class III, 500lb Tongue Weight). The load of hay bales I mentioned made for some entertaining driving with my low beams blinding oncoming semi trucks. Experience has taught me that heavier stuff rides better inside (over the axle) and that I personally like to share the camping load between the carrier and the rear area of the FJC so that I can still see through the back window.

Last edited:
J

JWP58

It was meant as a friendly piece of advice. Honestly I've never given a ticket for covered plates by rear carriers or burntout headlights/tail lights, but I do inform people that they are out....trying to be helpful.

Now, no headlights or plates.....different story all together.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
It was meant as a friendly piece of advice. Honestly I've never given a ticket for covered plates by rear carriers or burntout headlights/tail lights, but I do inform people that they are out....trying to be helpful.

Now, no headlights or plates.....different story all together.

Not to get OT, but I get you. I've got a friend from my school days that I did a lot of crazy things with. Of course now he likes to pull me over when I go see my parents. Scares the crap outta me whenever he gets a new vehicle.

zidaro

Explorer
We use a basic metal one piece hitch carries quite frequently on mild 4wheeling trips. works great. Firewood, bbq, gas can, rocks, etc..
I suggest keeping it as simple as you can if your going to take it wheeling. It WILL get drug over things everytime you go thru a transition steeper than double a curb, and youll back it into things or they will back into you. Find an inexpensive, sturdy one that doesnt weigh too much and youll be happier than some fancy thing your going to worry about all the time.
Just my opinion.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Your rack looks great. I have one, but only put it on when necessary. i'm surprised the rack does not keep people far enough away. i used to have a problem with people following too close and/or not stopping soon enough when I drove a service van. Once I installed a hitch insert with an 8" vise things got better. The law asked me about it a couple of times, but the honest answer that it was a necessary tool for work, ended the conversation. When I haul gas cans on my rack, that seems to keep the smarter ones away.

When I was younger my cousin drove a 356 Porsche (before they were a collector car). He sometimes had to transport an oxy-acetylene rig for some project or other. I remember riding with him. Once the following vehicle figured out what was mounted on the rear luggage carrier, the wide eyes and the significantly improved following distance gave a clue to that drivers comprehension level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles