Tire clearance question?

hobobrando

Alright, so right before I decided to sell my truck I went out and got a brand new set of 33x10.5x15 BFG AT's for it. I would like to keep the tires for my next vehicle seeing as there are less then 2k miles on them. So my question is, will the 33's fit on a stock height Pajero? I found a real clean 1987 with only 130k on the motor and a straight rust free body that is just begging me to take it home :)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No the 1st gen 4 cylinder will need to be lifted. IIRC ~2".

The 1st gen v6 fits 33's with some minor trimming of the front bumper's rubber end caps and a mild crank on the torsion bars... IIRC if the rear coil springs are in good condition no problem. If no, then new springs (aftermarket or used gen II progressive rate springs) or the addition of coil spring spacers (for the Toyota sequoia) to raise it enough to fit the 33's.

hobobrando

Thanks for the info and fast replys. I think I will focus my search on a 2nd Gen then, as I would like to maintain the factory suspension.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
4-cyl Gen I Montero / Dodge Raider will take 33" tires with no lift:
130_9372.jpg

s2201109.jpg

Your 33 x 10.5 tires will work on stock 6" wide rims and look really swell. I used 33 x 12.5 muds in the first pic with 8" wide rims and same all-terrains with 8" front and 10" rear...full stuff in the lower pic.

Russell

hobobrando

Hmm, maybe it's worth looking into the first gen I found then. It seems like unmolested first gens are pretty hard to come by so I don't want to pass this one up.

p.s. I like the van ladder racks on the gutters, I might have to steal that mod.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's interesting Russell. I seem to remember Don couldn't fit 33x12.5's under his Monty.

i recall now that my blue Montero needed a 2" suspension lift to run 33's w/out rubbing or added mods to the wheel wells. In fact IIRC they rubbed in the rear wheel wells during heavy articulation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles