Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out with the Jeep, in with an X

Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Earth
    It's a shame you had so much trouble with your Rubicon. A lot of times these things are hit and miss and it happens with all makes and models. My 2010 Frontier Pro-4x needed the windshield resealed at 2000 miles and was deemed not warrantable by the first dealer I went to. The second dealer 45 miles away took care of it under warranty though. That truck also had faulty brake master cylinder replaced under warranty with under 5000 miles on it. I will say the engine in the Frontier/Xterra is better than the new 3.6 in the Jeep and miles better than the 3.8 it replaced.

The Xterra is a great vehicle and should serve you well. It will tow your boat for sure and your Rubicon wouldn't be able to. It does look and feel a bit dated for a 2012 model though compared to the competition. For me though the Jeep is a unique vehicle so I take all its shortcomings in the engine dept and enjoy the best in class off road capability and drop the top and take off the doors every chance I get.
    Mike
    "The weather is here, wish you were beautiful"
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

I love the look of the X. Very rugged and cool. ...and with some bumpers - absolutely evil.

The Jeep was fun...but that's really the only thing going for it. If I were a single guy, I would have likely kept it. This Nissan just fits the fam much better.

Side note - sold the step sides via Craigslist in 48 hours. Awesome.

C.
    Chad J. Austin
    Car-a-holic / Tool junky / Design Guru
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4x

Quote Originally Posted by JJBiggs View Post

I do have an AT. Saw that about the by pass mod and I am sure I will be looking into that sooner than later. Curious as to why the factory saw fit to put that line through the radiator? Is that more for colder climates?

C.
    Its both cooling and warming.. In the winter that tranny needs the coolant water to help warm the AT fluid quicker and in the summer it needs the cool air to help keep that AT cool..
    This has been the one major flaw with the 3 Mid sized SUV/ Trucks.. Its a POS radiator.. Mostly plastic.. You see this more and more with about ever car maker now in days. These heavy SUVs need to loose every pound they can to help with MPGs.. Also be careful with that skinny pedal in 4wd.. These have an aluminum front diff too.. Too much wheel spin and the sudden good amount of grip will bust that case very quickly..

Tires would be my first change on that Xterra.. then rock sliders.. Tires are your number one bang for your buck on the Xterra... Plus you just look cool too
    2000 Xterra, 33 10.50 15 BFG KM2, Cragar Soft 8's, Cobra CB, 2"Body lift, 3" SL, RLCweldfab Front bumper, Custom B&M Rear Bumper, B&M lightbars roof basket Straight axel swap in the works
    2009 Xterra mods to come 2" Nisstec Lifts SL BFG KO 285 75 16R InSAIN Fab tire carrier Heps designs roof basket

Congratulations on the new X.

I second the recommendation for TheNewX.org, I'm on over there with this same user name.

My Off Road (similar to your Pro-4X) had side steps on it and I found them to be a hindrance. They are held onto the body with six small studs on the inside of the rocker and are certainly not designed to take any kind of hit. I recommend getting rid of them and replacing them with proper rock sliders. Shrock and Hefty are pretty popular, I had mine made by a guy on TheNewX.org with the screen name MaxTerra (he also built my rear bumper).

The mud flaps are a liability, if you are lucky you will just crack them or snap them off. If you aren't you can actually damage the fender. Most of us just remove them entirely.

If you have an automatic, you will want to read up on the Radiator Bypass Mod. A little preventive modification now can save you thousands down the road if that pipe through the radiator ever corrodes through.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new X, I know that I have loved mine. While it doesn't have the same aftermarket support as Jeep, the vendors that do support us tend to do a good job and make a really good product.

Would doing the radiator bypass mod on a brand new X void the warranty on anything? I dont know if anything has changed recently, but my 07 has the warranty extended on the radiator, and on any damage it does to the transmission, up to 8 years, 80,000 miles with no co-pay and up to 10 years, 100,000 with a co-pay from me. I might be tempted to do the mod at the 80k mark but until then, I am fully covered by Nissan.
    2007 Xterra 4x4
    2003 BMW F650GS

Radiator bypass - Well...based upon my research, the 2011+ has a new revised radiator. And...given the fact that I am under full warranty, I won't be doing it. From what I have read, no failures have been noted on the newer radiators. Unless someone can point me to an instance, I have not found one. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

C.
    Chad J. Austin
    Car-a-holic / Tool junky / Design Guru
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro4x

Congrats on the purchase! You'll like the X. Get over the warranty issue, because if you decide you're going to go offroad, you'll find the mod bug biting you. Like everyone else, watch out for the trans radiator cooler and front diff. Those are going to be your weakest areas, but there are plenty of folks who have done the mods already and have posted the "how" on the forums already mentioned. I've had 2 X's and will keep my '04 forever. I use mine for offroad running and lots of vehicle camping as well. Of course my wife isn't sure who I'm married to, her or my X. Oh well, she'll figure it out one day.
    Again, congrats!
    Keith
    2004 Thermal Red 4x4 SE, 2.5" PML, Sway Away Torsion Bars, Upgraded Torque Arms, AC Adjustable Shackles, BFG KO's on OR's, K&N Filter w/Resonators removed, Optima Red Top Battery, Ceramic Brake Pads, Bilsteins, Reinforced Idler Arm Brace, GPS Mount, Shrock Bullbar, Rear Bumper w/ tire mount, Sliders, Ramsey REP 8.5 winch, and Lobo Rack. Awaiting install: National Luna Dual Battery Setup, Internal Winch Power Switch Setup, KC Driving and Backup Lights and New Blue Sea Fuze Block for Accessories.

hey nice tiguan
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4x4 CC/LB Dmax/Allison. cranked torsions, bilstein 5100s, 285s on H2s, straight 4" exhaust, PPE tuned.
    2003 Skyline Nomad Rampage 377 5th wheel toyhauler w/ upgrades.
    1993 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L 42RE 4x4. 3" short arm lift, bilstein 5100s, 31s on eagle wheels.

Well Mr. Biggs, I have followed your change, and it got me curious. I have a very well built Jk, and been a Rover nut for 20 years, but looking for something capable, less 'obvious', and was intriqued by your choice. After a little homework, I am tempted, and looking at some left over '12 Pro4x? Selection is limited, but may be joining you. Please keep us posted on your opinion and experiences with both stock and mods. Cheers!!
    '14 F-150 CC 4x4
    '06 Sprinter Navion
    '03 Canary yellow 8.1 'burb

'98 D-I -For Sale
    D110 HCPU- For Sale
    '70 S-II-a 33k mi!! -For Sale
    '89 Honda Trans Alp -For Sale

www.thervrbarn.com
    TreadLightly! Trainer

The days are long, but the years are short...
    When one looks out the window, he has to decide- is the world all mud, or stars?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rovertrader View Post
    Well Mr. Biggs, I have followed your change, and it got me curious. I have a very well built Jk, and been a Rover nut for 20 years, but looking for something capable, less 'obvious', and was intriqued by your choice. After a little homework, I am tempted, and looking at some left over '12 Pro4x? Selection is limited, but may be joining you. Please keep us posted on your opinion and experiences with both stock and mods. Cheers!!
    Thank you for giving Nissan a shot

Tires are really the only upgrade I could see on a ProX4
    2000 Xterra, 33 10.50 15 BFG KM2, Cragar Soft 8's, Cobra CB, 2"Body lift, 3" SL, RLCweldfab Front bumper, Custom B&M Rear Bumper, B&M lightbars roof basket Straight axel swap in the works
    2009 Xterra mods to come 2" Nisstec Lifts SL BFG KO 285 75 16R InSAIN Fab tire carrier Heps designs roof basket

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast