Out with the Jeep, in with an X

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Radiator bypass - Well...based upon my research, the 2011+ has a new revised radiator. And...given the fact that I am under full warranty, I won't be doing it. From what I have read, no failures have been noted on the newer radiators. Unless someone can point me to an instance, I have not found one. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

C.

Jcapello

Adventurer
Congrats on the purchase! You'll like the X. Get over the warranty issue, because if you decide you're going to go offroad, you'll find the mod bug biting you. Like everyone else, watch out for the trans radiator cooler and front diff. Those are going to be your weakest areas, but there are plenty of folks who have done the mods already and have posted the "how" on the forums already mentioned. I've had 2 X's and will keep my '04 forever. I use mine for offroad running and lots of vehicle camping as well. Of course my wife isn't sure who I'm married to, her or my X. Oh well, she'll figure it out one day.
Again, congrats!
Keith

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well Mr. Biggs, I have followed your change, and it got me curious. I have a very well built Jk, and been a Rover nut for 20 years, but looking for something capable, less 'obvious', and was intriqued by your choice. After a little homework, I am tempted, and looking at some left over '12 Pro4x? Selection is limited, but may be joining you. Please keep us posted on your opinion and experiences with both stock and mods. Cheers!!

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Well Mr. Biggs, I have followed your change, and it got me curious. I have a very well built Jk, and been a Rover nut for 20 years, but looking for something capable, less 'obvious', and was intriqued by your choice. After a little homework, I am tempted, and looking at some left over '12 Pro4x? Selection is limited, but may be joining you. Please keep us posted on your opinion and experiences with both stock and mods. Cheers!!
Thank you for giving Nissan a shot ;)

Tires are really the only upgrade I could see on a ProX4

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES

Hey Rover...

I hope to be wheeling the X soon. So far the I see only 2-3 real 'issues'. (...if you could really call them that.)

1 - The rear axle diff breather is a joke. Doing the tail light extension is a must.
2 - The location of alternator is something that I think needs to be addressed. Is is very low and susceptible to water/mud intrusion. Not good. I am working on a pan/tray of sorts that could offer additional protection. Stay tuned.
3 - The weak front diff casing - Well, I could see this being a potential issue if you go wheeling a lot. I don't personally, but do hit the average forest service road on occasion. Worth the Titan front diff swap, yes...and I think I will be doing this in the short term for piece of mind.

So far...I love this rig. It fits my needs to the letter and offers much more usable details. From the Bluetooth to the fact of having no carpet in the cargo area...it just works. After owning a Land Rover LR3 to a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon to this...we love it. Looking forward to hitting the trails soon. Lastly - the deal we got for the X was outstanding. It is truly a value.

Hope this helps. I should have more info on the alternator protection shield soon.

Chad

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
drbandkgb- I haven't yet decided, but doing the research. Kinda weird going from a resource of sorts to a newbie again...

Chad- I have seen the issues you mention listed almost without fail. I am not wheeling near as regularly, nor half as extreme, consequently the potential forthcoming change. I will always have a Defender of sorts, and am about to begin the build I plan to keep for quite some time- as a wheeler, run to town topless, work around the farm, Rover events, etc- luckily I have a toe rig as well.
But, for DD duties, exploring while out and about with the family, etc, really looking for something comprehensive: capable, reliable, roomy without being too big(well designed efficient interior), reasonable fuel economy, etc- from w/e trips to the mtns to weeks on the road to National Parks out west, Newfoundland, etc.

Thanks for your review, and please keep us posted as she progresses.
Cheers

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
If you do the Titan swap be sure to check out using the V8 Pathfinder axels.. They cost a little more but they keep the wheel stance just right..

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well, JK gone, but went with a one owner 40k mile '08 LR3- so smoooooth ;-) and did I mention quiet?
The X is nice, and I understand their following, but I am way too deep in the LR arena I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles