Out with the Jeep, in with an X

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Yep...pulled the trigger on a 2012 Xterra Pro4x. So far, I am digging it. Love the comfort, usable space, driving manners, etc.

Quick version - bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Feb 2012. After dealing with issue after issue and having a head replaced at 6500mi - no thanks. Chrysler, you can keep you piece of **** vehicles. Very happy with so far with the Nissan. Can't wait to start modding.

Already removed the stock step rails, put a Raingler cargo divider in and installed a Curt Hitch. Looking at sliders. Not sure which ones yet, but leaning towards White Knuckle.

Anyway...good truck. Very glad I did the swap.

TheX.jpg

C.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Bummer about your experience with the Jeep, it's unfortunate because they're really such iconic vehicles. Though Chrysler has had quality issues for a long time which did improve (temporarily while under the Mercedes ownership?).

Anyway, congrats on the X! they're great trucks!

Allof75

Pathfinder
Congratulations on the X! My buddy has an identical 09 Off Road Edition, which even stock was stupid capable.

That's a real bummer to hear about the issues with the Jeep, hopefully it was just a "lemon" and not a harbinger of things to come from the brand.

Anyway, welcome to the Nissan side of life.

JJBiggs

Congratulations on the X! My buddy has an identical 09 Off Road Edition, which even stock was stupid capable.

That's a real bummer to hear about the issues with the Jeep, hopefully it was just a "lemon" and not a harbinger of things to come from the brand.

Anyway, welcome to the Nissan side of life.

Well I hate to say it. But if Chrysler can't figure out what type of bolts go where / wrong size, I'd be concerned. Do a search. All the bolts on the suspension of the Wrangler, from the control arms to the track bar are the wrong size and improper bolt.....(wait for it).....from the factory. Once I swapped the bolts to standard (vs the metric it came with), I had less play and better control of the vehicle. That was the 1st item to pop up at less than 750mi.

I may sound a bit peeved. I am. I had wanted a Jeep ever since I was a 16 yr old kid. By the end of the time I owned it, the 16 yr old in me was tired with Chrysler's BS. Here's the irony in all this. There are cars out there that cost much less than the Wrangler but are much better built. Go fig.

Sorry...I'll turn the rant off now...

Happy part - I am damn impressed with the X. I like the build quality and the torquey motor. Much better choice IMO. Happy to be in it and looking forward to many happy miles.

C.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Welcome! Nice choice. Check out thenewx.org for lots of good information. I love my X. Hopefully I will get a locker soon so I can keep up with the Pro-4X models. Definitely go for the White-Knuckle sliders. John is a great guy to deal with and his wait times are ridiculously short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
Your know what I think :) Posted in your Jeep page ;)

Welcome to the Xterra family..

I have owned 3 ;) Loved every minute of them..

www.xterranation.org
www.thexterra.org
www.clubxterra.org

Each offers something the others do not.. Some are full of mods and some are for what you do with it ;)
Be sure to check out www.nationalxterrameet.org This is a once a year Nissan Xterra event. near you.
Also look up www.southeastxterra.org This is a regional Xterra club.

One thing you should take a look at is the by pass mod.. IF your riding in a AT.. The Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontier all shared the same radiator with a cracking issue.. Generally doesnt pop up
till 50-100k But when it does it can cause major tranny failure.

Just a few tips..
drb

Last edited:

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Just a couple of thoughts:

-You can probably sell the factory step rails on CL for $100. Much easier.
-Ditto on thenewx.org - that's a pretty solid group of folks. xterranation also has good people on it.
-If you're going to be anywhere with rocks, I'd also suggest skid plates. Mine are NX Rocks, which sold the rights to Hefty fab.

Xterras are shockingly capable with very little modifications. With nothing but* a 2" lift, 33" BFG AT KOs, sliders, and skids I ran red trails in Moab - all with a set-up that stored most of my gear in the back and let me sleep in it.

*I do have Alcans on the back, but that's because I wore out the stock leafs. However, the lift is still only 2" all around.

JJBiggs

Thanks for the welcome. I am on thenewX.org - Look for "Biggs".

I will be towing my 19' boat to the lake, so I am anticipating that my rear leafs will wear out as well. When they do - let the fun begin.

Your know what I think :) Posted in your Jeep page ;)

One thing you should take a look at is the by pass mod.. IF your riding in a AT.. The Pathfinder/Xterra/Frontier all shared the same radiator with a cracking issue.. Generally doesnt pop up
till 50-100k But when it does it can cause major tranny failure.

Just a few tips..
drb

I do have an AT. Saw that about the by pass mod and I am sure I will be looking into that sooner than later. Curious as to why the factory saw fit to put that line through the radiator? Is that more for colder climates?

C.

Last edited:

Espo78

Adventurer
It's a shame you had so much trouble with your Rubicon. A lot of times these things are hit and miss and it happens with all makes and models. My 2010 Frontier Pro-4x needed the windshield resealed at 2000 miles and was deemed not warrantable by the first dealer I went to. The second dealer 45 miles away took care of it under warranty though. That truck also had faulty brake master cylinder replaced under warranty with under 5000 miles on it. I will say the engine in the Frontier/Xterra is better than the new 3.6 in the Jeep and miles better than the 3.8 it replaced.

The Xterra is a great vehicle and should serve you well. It will tow your boat for sure and your Rubicon wouldn't be able to. It does look and feel a bit dated for a 2012 model though compared to the competition. For me though the Jeep is a unique vehicle so I take all its shortcomings in the engine dept and enjoy the best in class off road capability and drop the top and take off the doors every chance I get.

JJBiggs

I love the look of the X. Very rugged and cool. ...and with some bumpers - absolutely evil. :sombrero:

The Jeep was fun...but that's really the only thing going for it. If I were a single guy, I would have likely kept it. This Nissan just fits the fam much better.

Side note - sold the step sides via Craigslist in 48 hours. Awesome.

C.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I do have an AT. Saw that about the by pass mod and I am sure I will be looking into that sooner than later. Curious as to why the factory saw fit to put that line through the radiator? Is that more for colder climates?

C.

Its both cooling and warming.. In the winter that tranny needs the coolant water to help warm the AT fluid quicker and in the summer it needs the cool air to help keep that AT cool..
This has been the one major flaw with the 3 Mid sized SUV/ Trucks.. Its a POS radiator.. Mostly plastic.. You see this more and more with about ever car maker now in days. These heavy SUVs need to loose every pound they can to help with MPGs.. Also be careful with that skinny pedal in 4wd.. These have an aluminum front diff too.. Too much wheel spin and the sudden good amount of grip will bust that case very quickly..

Tires would be my first change on that Xterra.. then rock sliders.. Tires are your number one bang for your buck on the Xterra... Plus you just look cool too ;)

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Congratulations on the new X.

I second the recommendation for TheNewX.org, I'm on over there with this same user name.

My Off Road (similar to your Pro-4X) had side steps on it and I found them to be a hindrance. They are held onto the body with six small studs on the inside of the rocker and are certainly not designed to take any kind of hit. I recommend getting rid of them and replacing them with proper rock sliders. Shrock and Hefty are pretty popular, I had mine made by a guy on TheNewX.org with the screen name MaxTerra (he also built my rear bumper).

The mud flaps are a liability, if you are lucky you will just crack them or snap them off. If you aren't you can actually damage the fender. Most of us just remove them entirely.

If you have an automatic, you will want to read up on the Radiator Bypass Mod. A little preventive modification now can save you thousands down the road if that pipe through the radiator ever corrodes through.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new X, I know that I have loved mine. While it doesn't have the same aftermarket support as Jeep, the vendors that do support us tend to do a good job and make a really good product.

monark192

Observer
Would doing the radiator bypass mod on a brand new X void the warranty on anything? I dont know if anything has changed recently, but my 07 has the warranty extended on the radiator, and on any damage it does to the transmission, up to 8 years, 80,000 miles with no co-pay and up to 10 years, 100,000 with a co-pay from me. I might be tempted to do the mod at the 80k mark but until then, I am fully covered by Nissan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles