Double sided tape to hold siding?????

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I've seen in a couple post folks are not riveting or screwing their siding on home built campers, but using some kind of extremely heavy duty double sided tape.

What is it and where can you buy it?

THANKS!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
3M VHB tape (Very High Bond) should be able to get it from McMaster's or other industrial supplies. Double sided with the thin "foam" type center.

They use it to hold the glass on skyscrappers... so it'll work fine with siding.

If you haven't seen the build thread from Rob Gray of Australia - you should read it - he used it on his first build and then switched to an adhesive for the second build as it allowed realignment of the siding before it set. With the VHB you get one try... He used pop rivets (but didn't fully pop them) into the steel structure and then slid the aluminum over them (thru predrilled holes) to align the siding... then popped the rivets off afterwards - seems like a lot of work.

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/index.php

I've seen in a couple post folks are not riveting or screwing their siding on home built campers, but using some kind of extremely heavy duty double sided tape.

What is it and where can you buy it?

THANKS!

highdesertranger

Adventurer
yes vhb tape. stronger than rivits or screws but you only have one shot at alignment like haf-e stated. but it does make a tight waterproof bond if done right. highdesertranger

ITTOG

3M VHB tape (Very High Bond) should be able to get it from McMaster's or other industrial supplies. Double sided with the thin "foam" type center.

They use it to hold the glass on skyscrappers... so it'll work fine with siding.

If you haven't seen the build thread from Rob Gray of Australia - you should read it - he used it on his first build and then switched to an adhesive for the second build as it allowed realignment of the siding before it set. With the VHB you get one try... He used pop rivets (but didn't fully pop them) into the steel structure and then slid the aluminum over them (thru predrilled holes) to align the siding... then popped the rivets off afterwards - seems like a lot of work.

http://www.robgray.com/graynomad/wothahellizat/index.php
I was disappointed to see the link was no longer working. Luckily I was able to find it is now at http://www.robgray.com/ontheroad/wothahellizat/index.php. But it looks like no details on using the VHB is mentioned any longer.

jwiereng

I used CV62F on my trailer.

thanks, 3m website shows CV62F is for commercial vehicle panel to post bonding. 62 mils thick

The supplier I was browsing uses 4 digit codes for the various skus. 5962, 4655 etc. all have different properties, foam thickness, temperature ranges.

I would seem to me that 62 mils in one of the thicker ones offered. This foam would allow compensation for slight irregularities and would also allow more dampening and resilience.

Johnston

Observer
Make sure you follow instructions. I bought a manufactured trailer and they installed a top and bottom plate so the panel had no where to expand when hot out and ended up popping the tape lose. Ended up screwing it all down.

nathane

I've not used this, but having used other industrial adhesives I imagine, as mentioned above, that following instructions is super important. Make sure you prep surfaces appropriately, cleaning, abrading (if relevant), priming or activating according to guidance. If you design your joints appropriately, get the right match of adhesive to substrate and prep properly adhesives can be the strongest joining method available.

jwiereng

Make sure you follow instructions. I bought a manufactured trailer and they installed a top and bottom plate so the panel had no where to expand when hot out and ended up popping the tape lose. Ended up screwing it all down.
yep, for sure constraining the panel is never advised with tapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne