Camping in bear country

Amy H

Observer
We camped in a bear area last year and the park ranger's #1 rule was don't sleep in the clothes you cook in. We didn't come across any bears, but plenty of bear tracks and old fur. We traveled with a small noisey dog and kid. I have heard they sell large bells to clip to your belt and bear spray too.

I know about the diaper inserts, if you are allowed to bury your poo and paper (away from water sources of course) you should be fine. Just look into the rules for the area you are staying in. Alot of places have you pack out everything now days though.

Derek G

Observer
My bear country camping kit includes:
RTT
Bear Bag (100 + yards down-wind)
Gun
Bear Spray
hand held compressed air horn
Big German Shepherd

I've run into bears and mtn lions and never had to resort to using any offensive measures, the dog has taken care of most issues. The only times I've run into bears is in August. I don't change much in my normal routine, I'm just a little more vigilant about post meal clean up.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Our daughter has been going camping with us since she was a few months old and we camp in an area each year where we see black bears everyday. So far, we have never had an issue, but we are clean, don't leave food out or in our vehicles, never have food near where we sleep and have dogs. The bears come around, and we can hear them at night, but as soon as the dogs start barking, off they go. We have bear spray and guns, but so far....

Last year we watched a couple leave all their food and cooking equipment out in the open at their camp site. We warned them to take precautions, which they ignored. Later that afternoon we observed this,

Granted these are blacks, not grizzly's, but I have spent quite a few summers in Yellowstone, so the basic rules apply. Be smart, prepared and cautious.

Doug

Doug

Attachments

• AUG 2011 Vacation & Misc 027.jpg
    AUG 2011 Vacation & Misc 027.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 58
  • AUG 2011 Vacation & Misc 037.jpg
    AUG 2011 Vacation & Misc 037.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 52
  • AUG 2011 Vacation & Misc 045.jpg
    AUG 2011 Vacation & Misc 045.jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
Agreed! When a bear gets a taste for human food and losses fear of people, the life expectancy of the bear is short. It's not the bear, it's uninformed and dumb people!

Doug

trackhead

Adventurer
All of Alaska is bear country. We camp up here no problem. Just keep an eye on your little ones and use common sense.

And I can assure you that an 800 pound grizzly doesn't give a hoot about how big your dog is, unless the bear is hungry and the dog is slow.

Mike

Unless you have a Karelian Bear Dog.
karelianbeardog_cresswell.jpg

gtrek

My family and I have camped in and around Tetons multiple times, even when one child could barely walk. Simply taking more time to clean up after cooking and being diligent about food storage and you will be fine.

gsanders

Observer
To the OP:

I lived in Jackson, WY for 4 years and I have car camped, backpacked, and horsepacked extensively in the area. I have not been everywhere, but I got to see a little bit. For the diapers, treat the inserts like toilet paper and you will be good. Leave no trace is up to you. Most of the USFS campgrounds in the area WILL NOT have trash cans, unless they are high traffic areas along a highway (the Hoback River for example). The National Parks will have trash cans at almost all locations. For camping, I agree with the 100 yard principal although often I make it shorter depending on the space. I think the key is don't sleep right on top of your cooking area or your food storage. Be sensible. If you hang a bear bag, I recommend tying your pots to it or a bell so when the bear comes and starts shaking the tree or pulling on your rope you will know in the night and you can try to scare it away. Bring bear spray...much more effective than a gun -- read the BYU article.

Some highlight spots...

National Parks -- Teton is much prettier than Yellowstone. The Jenny Lake Loop road is great for the views at sunset. Guaranteed elk sighting -- go to the Lupine Meadows trailhead in Teton around sunset or dawn. Pretty much a guarantee. Want to see a Moose -- drive the Gros Ventre river road really slowly. Bison? Head out the Gros Ventre river road and drive around by Kelly, Wyoming and toward Antelope Flats...bring binoculars and scout the sagebrush. If you are in that area, take the dirt road that runs north and south to Mormon Row to see the old barn that is in pretty much every sunset picture of the Tetons. Go at sunset and make your own scenic photograph with your family. Look around Antelope Flats for antelope as well...usually pretty easy to spot. Great camping up the Gros Ventre River valley. Look for a place on the map called Soda Lake if you have 4wd. Good lake for a canoe and it can be decent fishing.

Yellowstone, see the usual suspects...I think the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is better than Old Faithful. Head out to the Lamar Valley for great wildlife.

I won't give you my secrets for the best places in that area which are all outside of the National Parks, but I will say that all of the surrounding National Forest is just as good or better than either of the parks. If it were me and I had two weeks, here is my driving itinerary.

Come in from the south, head to Pinedale, Wyoming to see the Winds and that beautiful headwaters of the Green River. From there, drop over the Jackson and take it all in. Head up through Teton and Yellowstone over several days...I think 4-5 days for that area is reasonable. From Yellowstone, drive out the NE entrance and either head over Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT or on the Sunlight Basin Road toward Cody. Both are amazing scenic drives with abundant camping and fishing. Drop down into Cody and spend a day or two. From Cody, head back over the Big Horn mountains and stop to camp and fish and then from there head east back toward St. Louis.

But hey, there are so many options! Grab some good maps and pick pretty much anywhere in that area and it is beautiful.

bfdiesel

Explorer
All those people in that study had a gun? That very much effects their confidence and how they carried themselves in the encounter. You will be more confident if you feel you have a good defense. Also a lot of people who carry a gun also take other steps to avoid ecounters. Kind of how less concealed carry people get mugged. Not because everyone knows they have a gun, but rather because they avoid those situations that would put them at higher risk.

lam396

Adventurer
gsanders

Thanks for all the info! I'm going to look into some of the spots you mentioned as some of them are alredy on the list. Its difficult to really narrow down what we want to do when the area is so big and so much to see! I would really love to do some fishing and I was debating bringing a canoe along, just not sure if I want to haul it that far.

ranchmuffler

I would also like to know how you would camp in bear country with a expo trailer and rtt and slide out kitchen. How do you get rid of food smells from kitchen area? I also have ground tent camped many times and understand everything else about food storage and such, but trying to figure best thing for this style of camp. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles