Camping in bear country

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
If you have a car alarm bring the keys into your sleeping area. If you are disturbed set it off. That should scare them enough. And keep your camp clean and trash away from where you sleep or hang it in a tree. I have a fire truck air horn on my tundra hooked up to the alarm, enough said.

Firesong

We do our camping in the Rockies as well as the upper forests and such in western Canada. We don't carry guns but I've never had to use our bear spray and we also have air horns. The small ones for boating. Our kids can be a bit stupid at times (like all kids) but so far no issues. Some great pictures but nothing close up and dangerous of the furry 4 legged variety.

DaveNay

Adventurer
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, which I don't have any personal experience regarding is the care that women need to take when camping in bear country.

I have a relative in northern Manitoba and she and her husband wilderness camp probably 100+ nights per year and she say that at "certain times of the month" she needs to be very careful to burn certain products to make sure they do not attract bears or other predators or scavengers.

Like I said, I can't validate this claim but it seems both logical and prudent.

Firesong

This was something that came up last summer for us as well. Made sure my girls got the talk from mom as well. Well away from camp and bagged. We hauled our garbage daily since we did day trips to various hikes in the mountains. No incidents to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online