Camping in bear country

lam396

Adventurer
I'm planning a trip to the Yellowstone/Teton area and the plan is to mostly camp out in the surrounding National Forests. It has been years since I have camped in brown bear country and even then it was in developed campgrounds. If it was just my wife and I, there would be no worries but I'm interested in how some of you do it with kids. The trip is tenativly planned for the last week of Aug and the first week of Sept. We will have a 3 year old and a 15 month old. My main question is how do you deal with diapers, particularly at night? We use cloth diapers at home and the plan is to use a biodegradable insert and bury them in a cat hole with the rest of the waste. But will a wet diaper (or soiled) attract bears while it is being worn?

Also, I'm seeing conflicting recommendations on distance of tent area from the cooking area. I have seen 100+ feet but I have also seen 100 yards. 100 yards seems like the safest distance but a little unpractical when car camping with a toddler and a baby. Any thoughts on what would be acceptable and/or suggestions on making it enjoyable without worrying?

Also, and I may start a new planning thread at some point but if you have recommendations on must see points of interest in and around Yellowstone and the Tetons that would be great. We will have 2 weeks to stay and I plan on bringing a canoe so would really like to stay on a lake or at least a river for the kids to play in...and me to catch a couple fish!

rcharrette

Adventurer
Tough one

With young ones like that it will be tough to stay vigilant, I know as I have a 7yr old and 21 month old. Food is going to get spilled and probably eaten where it shouldn't be. I think the best thing you can do is try to get your trash removed from camp daily. Either run it into town or look for a USFS camp with dumpsters. Beyond that just try to be as clean as possible ( with kids!). The good news is your kids should make enough noise to alert bears to your presence and hopefully they will head the other way.

lam396

Adventurer
I don't think you are allowed to bury waste in the NF's, you have to pack everything out. Make sure you check all the regulations in the various areas, some are closed to dispersed camping as well.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fs.usda.gov%2FInternet%2FFSE_DOCUMENTS%2Fstelprdb5191168.pdf

I don't see anywhere in that link where it says you are not allowed to bury waste. I see that it says not to bury garbage but burying the biodegradable diaper is no different than burying waste along with the toilet paper, which I believe is an acceptable method if done correctly. And I guess I thought it went without saying that we would be camping in areas that are open to dispersed camping.

Last edited:

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I don't see anywhere in that link where it says you are not allowed to bury waste. I see that it says not to bury garbage but burying the disposable diaper is no different than burying waste along with the toilet paper, which I believe is an acceptable method if done correctly. And I guess I thought it went without saying that we would be camping in areas that are open to dispersed camping.

Suit yourself. I consider disposable diapers trash, I've seen more than a few 'buried' or in fire pits, etc., but you could check with a ranger to be sure - it might be just fine with the NFS.

lam396

Adventurer
Suit yourself. I consider disposable diapers trash, I've seen more than a few 'buried' or in fire pits, etc., but you could check with a ranger to be sure - it might be just fine with the NFS.

I edited my previous post from disposable to bidegradable. Appologize for the confusion but these are not the typical Huggies brand diapers. They are biodegradable and are made from a wood product and are no different in make-up from toilet paper. Eitherway, this wasn't intended to be a diapering and/or what to do with trash thread.

lam396

Adventurer
Maybe camping with young kids in grizzly country is not the best idea.

I find it hard to believe I'm the first to consider camping with kids in bear country. I know people do it and I know it can be done, I was simply asking for help and ideas on the logistics of making it enjoyable and safe.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
Safe camping in bear country is possible with kids, just make sure you follow food prep and storage guidelines, waste storage and disposal guidelines, and above all make sure you and your children don't surprise a bear. Bears will certainly know where you are camped and may become curious but if they can't find any kind of food reward they will most likely lose interest. There is always a chance of an old or injured bear looking for an easy meal, you just don't want to be it. Carrying bear spray should be a requirement. You can also rig up a trip line with monofilament and bells to let you know at night if you have a prowler.

As far as must see, you can't go wrong anywhere in the area.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Agree

I would go for sure with the kids. 99% of the bears want nothing to do with us humans it's just being smart to plan for the 1%. You mentioned fishing. I probably wouldn't bring any of that back to camp :Wow1:
Seriously though, I don't want to dismiss the possible danger but odds are very, VERY slim you would have an encounter. Good luck and have fun.
Oh and as others said, get some bear spray.

toymaster

Explorer
Maybe camping with young kids in grizzly country is not the best idea.

I find it hard to believe I'm the first to consider camping with kids in bear country. I know people do it and I know it can be done, I was simply asking for help and ideas on the logistics of making it enjoyable and safe.

Yep, we usually keep our kids under lock and key till they are 21 and able to defend themselves in the inevitable grizzly attack.

Seriously though, you have the perfect time of year in mind and staying the surrounding NFs will give you a lot more freedom. That time of year the bears will still be in the high country and probably not in the NFs around the parks. I do cook in the campground but pick up everything before night. Either have a bear proof box or hang a bag/backpack 10' off the ground and 5' from any tree; a limb works nicely. Keeping such items away from your sleeping area is always a good idea.

Make sure all sources of smell such as toothpaste and chapstick are in with the food. I would not worry about the dirty diapers, bears do not eat feces. Just keep a can of bear spray handy, it will make you feel better. Your chances of actually having a bear encounter is extremely small.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I've had some success with these fences, at $250 they may not seem cheap but, see if you can rent them from an outfiter or check CL to see if you can find one used. http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm
Here is a link to read on Griz education in BC, some nice kids stuff too. http://www.bearaware.bc.ca/
bear-hang-400x379.jpg
And the BSA BEARMUDA Triangle. It is recommended that you don't sleep where you cook or store food or use food lockers and caches if in campgrounds.
BearmudaTriangle.jpg
Have fun, bears are just something to be aware of. There are all types of risks in the woods bears are just one of them and there are ways to reduce the risk.

Last edited:

lam396

Adventurer
Thanks for all the positive replies. Also, thanks for the confirmation on 100 yards. It seems pretty far to me but I guess it's all about safety. Another question, what is the recomendation on camp fires if nothing is cooked in them? I assume that smoke and the smell of the fire wouldn't be an attractant by its self.

Enigma

Observer
Dogs are always handy to have around as well. Big dogs that is, bears don't seem to acknowledge our little Shih-Tzu :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles