Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ARB air locker, front vs. rear?

Quote Originally Posted by I Leak Oil View Post
    On your vehicle I'm pretty sure the rear is a WHOLE lot easier to install.
    If the Tundra uses the same (or similar) clam shell front diff as other Toyota IFS trucks, it's pretty to get to but you do have to disconnect both half-shafts.

You will use a rear locker probably 50 times for every one time you use a front locker, but for that one time in 50 that it is needed, it is sure nice to have!

As has been said, the IFS front half-shafts and CV joints are weaker than the rear axle. It is pretty easy to blow up a front cv by pushing the skinny pedal with the diff locked and the wheels turned; you have to be aware and use the front locker judiciously.
    '80 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '07 FJC
    N5MUD Parker County ARES/RACES
    4x4ham.com
    TLCA # 16550

Just tossing this out there to think about...

I've never heard of a vehicle that was factory equipped with just a front locker. A lot of trucks on the market come with a selectable rear and a handful of vehicles have both. The vehicles that have both usually only allow the front to be engaged after the rear, not independently.
    -Mark
    '03 2.7L 4x4 Tacoma & '06 Xterra 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by maxingout
    Being Lost Has Nothing To Do With Your Location.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglefreek View Post
    A Tundra TRD doesn't come with LSD from the factory? That's seems odd. I would go with the LSD in the rear and at a later date install an air locker up front if you find the need. I have factory LSD front and rear in my big Eagle and have yet to get stuck.
    Tundras came with a factory LSD from 02 and on. I'm just a year short of that.
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

I would advise against spending money for an LSD in place of a locker. An LSD is good on the street and it does provide you with a little more traction when you do still have both tires in spots that they can get a little grip. As soon as one tire is off the ground or in a real slippery spot though, that LSD is just as useless as an open diff.
    Off-Road Adventures in New England: ExploringNH

I'm pretty set on keeping the front diff open and putting the selectable ARB in the rear. Like I said before, I am pleased with the way the truck handles on snow packed roads. I just get into that situation in deep snow where one wheel is buried and one has traction, but the power goes to the wheel without traction. A selectable locker would make it a lot easier. Now I just to decide if I want to spend money on a winch first... which will probably be what happens.
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    I'm pretty set on keeping the front diff open and putting the selectable ARB in the rear. Like I said before, I am pleased with the way the truck handles on snow packed roads. I just get into that situation in deep snow where one wheel is buried and one has traction, but the power goes to the wheel without traction. A selectable locker would make it a lot easier. Now I just to decide if I want to spend money on a winch first... which will probably be what happens.
    A locker gets you further into the deep stuff. A winch can get you out.
    Off-Road Adventures in New England: ExploringNH

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglefreek
    A Tundra TRD doesn't come with LSD from the factory? That's seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    Tundras came with a factory LSD from 02 and on. I'm just a year short of that.
    ....and the LSD was still a stand alone option, not a standard part of the TRD Off Road package. Get a winch (or at least the Hi-Lift, but using it as a winch one time will convince you to splurge on an electric winch) then lock the rear....
    Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

CrowsWing
    Benroy Teardrop on TnTTT
    CrowsWing Benroy Teardrop on ExPo
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra

ARB rear and open front will be fine with the Tundra. Allways lock the rear first. The Tundras front axle can't do all the work by itsself without exploding into confetti.

As for recovery. A Hilift, wheel grabbber, and a hitch on the back of the truck (to jack and flop the rear), mud rated tire chains, and some maxtrax would have got you out. A winch might be too hardcore, and add a ton of weight and wear to your front end.
    '08 Ford F250 XL
    '02 Honda CRF450r,
    '04 Ford Mach1
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400S
    '12 Ducati Panigale 1199S

Quote Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
    ARB rear and open front will be fine with the Tundra. Allways lock the rear first. The Tundras front axle can't do all the work by itsself without exploding into confetti.

As for recovery. A Hilift, wheel grabbber, and a hitch on the back of the truck (to jack and flop the rear), mud rated tire chains, and some maxtrax would have got you out. A winch might be too hardcore, and add a ton of weight and wear to your front end.
    This is all exactly what I'm thinking. Thanks for the info boys!

For me the best way to answer the question about the rear locker was identifying the intended use of it....to probe further into difficult terrain or to get past / out of difficult terrain? For me and the big, honkin' camper I bought, the ARB locker in the rear will be about making it past a really muddy section, through a particularly high snow drift or getting out of a place it's no longer prudent to go. It won't be about a man, his machine and their terrain-conquering capabilities. I'm holding out on buying a winch in favor of finding a nice camping spot and then simply taking a walk where it looks like a winch would be required.
    Alright, this is just fancy car camping, people. Move along, move along.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast