Post up your drawer/storage system

Redman333

Adventurer
Just got done building and installing this system for a customer and fellow 70-series owner. He has an awesome Troopy!

View attachment 364376

View attachment 364377

View attachment 364378

View attachment 364379

View attachment 364380

View attachment 364381

I wish you were closer to me I'd have you build me a setup for my rig. Hey ha e you ever tried to build a somewhat quick release drawer setup that could be removed quickly in case you needed the cargo area for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for the compliments all! These are fun little side projects and always nice to come up with something that folks appreciate. I've done almost 10 different systems now, including one for each of my trucks that has undergone a few iterations and looking through this thread and getting ideas from others it seems unit has something new or unique and you learn to improve.

The finish is a marine grade spar varnish. We apply sealer, scuff at 180, then spray the spar varnish. It is pretty durable and easy to touch up. It is not as resilient as Line-X or something similar, so the finish you choose will depend on how you use your vehicle.

@Redman - the Troopy resides in NC, and the Troopy pop-top unit we did was down in Atlanta. As long as I have good dimensions I can build off that. Plenty of Discos around me I could grab a template off, and I see you're shopping for a 100 which is our family trip vehicle :)

As far as easily removable, you can mount a setup with the adjustable turnbuckles at each corner which would make it pretty easy to pop in and out. These units are heavy, so not the easiest things to throw in and out of the back of your truck. In my experience, I'd suggest coming up with a design that you'd be happy to live with 95% of the time that was removable on occasion when you really needed to.

Redman333

Adventurer
Fireball. We actually have an 04 LX470 now. I need to change that actually. I'd be ok with turn buckles as long as I could hide them once it's installed. I'm all about details and exposed turnbuckles would just drive me nuts. As far as the weight I was hoping whatever way I used to hold down the whole setup I could use in reverse to lift it using a engine hoist and just lift it right out. This wouldn't be something I'd want to do on a regular basis but I've had to use my third row every once in awhile.

fireball

Explorer
Fireball. We actually have an 04 LX470 now. I need to change that actually. I'd be ok with turn buckles as long as I could hide them once it's installed. I'm all about details and exposed turnbuckles would just drive me nuts. As far as the weight I was hoping whatever way I used to hold down the whole setup I could use in reverse to lift it using a engine hoist and just lift it right out. This wouldn't be something I'd want to do on a regular basis but I've had to use my third row every once in awhile.

I have bolts, lock washers and fender washers holding my drawer system down. These use the OEM captive nuts for the 3rd row seating. If you build your drawer system as one unit, I would just use four bolts to secure your system. I made my 100-series system with two equal halves, so I put four bolts per side which is likely overkill. When I rebuild it over the winter I will make it all one unit, and use four bolts to secure it.

Here's a photo showing the passenger side. I forgot to include the depth of the lock-out tab on the drawer slide so had to drill another set of 4 holes to move the system back ~3/4". Doh! Measure twice, cut once!

IMG_1503.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Finally!

After maybe 2 years of thinking and puttering around, I've finally gotten my cargo area into a workable format that I feel the world can see.

The goals in developing this were:

1) Ditch the JK Subwoofer. Too much real estate given up to the wrong purpose.
2) Have a full cargo drawer
3) Build with expanded metal for ease of build and tie-down anywhere points
4) Have something that looks sort of like it goes with my Gobi Rack
5) Keep cargo from embedding in my head in case of panic stop
6) Not have to dig out the fridge each time I want it opened
7) Access the JK stock floor cubby
8) Room for a folding table (It slides under the cargo slide)

It was fun. It was painful. It was a lot of work. I might get around to paint or powder some day, but for now it is "functionally done". It works really nice by the way.

Along the way I learned... Owning a tubing bender is awesome. Smooth rounded corners make every project a hell of a lot harder though.

I love TIG welding... All the smoke leaking out of my Eastwood TIG and having to finish the "shelf" with MIG was painful.

*They claim they will happily replace it, but I suspect it will suck too.

Buy locking slides the first time.

Expanded metal is not entirely easy to bungee to... the spaces versus hook sizes aren't quite right.

Anyway... enjoy... Maybe?

IMG_2451 resized.jpgIMG_2448 resized.jpg

theksmith

Explorer
After maybe 2 years of thinking and puttering around, I've finally gotten my cargo area into a workable format that I feel the world can see.

that all looks really nice!

do me a favor and round the bottom outer corner of those verticals where your slides bolt to the lower tray... i keep envisioning a leg gash or a head wound on a 6 yo kid!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Thanks!

I think this one will work out okay... I usually slam my kids into things a few times as part of the testing regime!

Point taken though... I've been thinking about cutting the bottom edges straighter and it wouldn't take much to round the corners off. It would look more finished too.

RPhil

Adventurer
Just got done building and installing this system for a customer and fellow 70-series owner. He has an awesome Troopy!

Those look like the locking Accuride slides. Are you happy with them? I am in the design phase of my build and am contemplating between locking slides or a handle that latches to keep the drawers closed. Where did you source these slides? I perused Accuride's site and I believe I would like to go with the 9308's (which I believe you have) paired with a 9301. I believe the 9308's are on mcmaster here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#6603a48/=1490q1j. I am having trouble finding the 9301's though. Also does the "pair" of 9308's contain opposite lock levers on mcmaster? I'm getting caught up in some of these minute details. Accuride's site says you can purchase a "special" combo of 9308/9301 (look under special features here: https://www.accuride.com/en-mx/products/9301-ie), but doesn't say where to purchase them.

I assume your setup requires two hands (left hand depresses the yellow lever while right hand pulls drawers towards you)?

Sorry for all of the questions- I figured I would try to pick your brain before I get lost in more product catalogs!

Beautiful craftsmanship and thanks for some ideas/inspiration.

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
Yes those are the Accuride 500# locking slides, and they do require two handed operation the way the boxes you see above are built. See www.trekboxx.com for some even better work and an idea on how to install a handle next to the locking mechanism for one handed operaton.

I am a huge fan of the Accuride slides, have used them for ARB63qt fridge slides and as long as a 60" unit and has held up wonderfully. I've got the tool and recovery gear drawer in the back of my 100 very heavily loaded and the accurides are as smooth as silk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior