Post up your drawer/storage system

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have a home built expanded metal shelf. Everything that can rattle or vibrate is stowed on a woven wool blanket my wife bought in Mexico years ago, and the entire shelf looks like it was attacked by an amorous squid made of bungee cords.

Note, the shelf is expanded metal just to accommodate all those bungee cords.

MattL

Adventurer
ARB 63qt fridge goes on the passenger side and slides out in the cubby.
Standard sized milk crates or small action packers go in the driver side cubby 3-deep.
Sleeping platform on the driver side when 2nd row is folded.

DSC4660_copy.jpg

DSC4661_copy.jpg

DSC4662_copy.jpg

DSC4663_copy.jpg

DSC4670_copy.jpg

DSC4671_copy.jpg

DSC4672_copy.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Slightly fancified my simple set up. Many of the drawer systems are overly heavy for my taste so I wanted it to be simple, light, useful, and relatively inexpensive.

Ended up under $200 for everything. Tiedowns are made out of Al L-track and I'm using custom ratchet straps with L-track end loops built in. Platform is 3/4 Baltic Birch, pocket screwed/glued with 4 coats of semi gloss spar.

It's all tied into the factory d ring mounts and rear seat mounts.
File_000(3).jpg

eatSleepWoof2

ARB 63qt fridge goes on the passenger side and slides out in the cubby.
Standard sized milk crates or small action packers go in the driver side cubby 3-deep.
Sleeping platform on the driver side when 2nd row is folded.

---

Very nice, Matt. What did you use for finish?

MattL

Adventurer
Very nice, Matt. What did you use for finish?

Thanks. I used Minwax Wipe-On Poly (Satin), about 4-5 coats on the top surfaces and 3-4 on the sides/underneath.

I plan to use some sort of additional coating on the top surfaces but have yet to find something I like. Carpet is good and all but I'd rather have something I can wipe off. Also it needs to have a little resistance but not too gritty that it becomes a chore to slide boxes over. The hunt continues!

JCDriller

Adventurer
Thanks. I used Minwax Wipe-On Poly (Satin), about 4-5 coats on the top surfaces and 3-4 on the sides/underneath.

I plan to use some sort of additional coating on the top surfaces but have yet to find something I like. Carpet is good and all but I'd rather have something I can wipe off. Also it needs to have a little resistance but not too gritty that it becomes a chore to slide boxes over. The hunt continues!

I have had great luck over the years with Behr Deck-over, get the less gritty version. I'm going to stain and varnish my new box, looking at the general water based products.

MattL

Adventurer
I have had great luck over the years with Behr Deck-over, get the less gritty version. I'm going to stain and varnish my new box, looking at the general water based products.

I'll have a look into that stuff, thanks for the input. Another thought was Al's Liner but I really don't have much surface to cover.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Drawers are an attractive option. But with an underpowered FJ60, it is important to minimize weight.

I installed two M548 ammo boxes in the cargo bay. These are the big ones with internal dimensions of 17-1/4" L x 7-1/2" W x 14" DP and are used for 40mm, 20mm, and 7.62 ammo. These will be used to stow tools on one side and and recovery gear on the other. They are positioned in the cargo bay dead spots between the wheel well arches and tail gate. I can get to the contents thru the open lift gate.

Bolted cargo tie down rings thru the floor and use turnbuckles from the rings to the boxes. Used turnbuckles rather than ratchet straps so I can remove the lids without fooling with a strap. Both ends of the box are tied down the same way.

I use two surplus aluminum medical gear boxes for camping gear (not shown).

003_1.jpg

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I have been searching for a countersunk roller to install on the frame side of a drawer, allowing the bottom of the drawer to slide against the frame. I have been able to locate the type that is a ball, but a roller would be more appropriate. Does anyone have a source for this? See picture below

BS23335.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94