Post up your drawer/storage system

Trailfrog

Adventurer
I just finished (for the most part) the rear storage/fridge mount/aux battery set-up for my 4dr JK. This was custom built around the deminsions of my Edgestar 43qt fridge. My requirements:
  • Keep the back seats
  • Keep access to cubby storage
  • Keep access to jack storage
  • Include aux battery storage
  • No holes in jeep to mount storage/fridge

This is what I ended up with:

GEDC0933.JPG

Drop down door for extra shelf space

GEDC0934.JPG

Inside of storage with trap door to cubby storage

GEDC0937.JPG

Access to cubby storage

GEDC0936.JPG

Slide out shelf

GEDC0942.JPG

Slide out for fridge

GEDC0938.JPG

Fully extended

GEDC0940.JPG

Rear of unit behind back seats housing aux battery storage, aux 12 fuse panel, and 800 watt inverter

GEDC0944.JPG

Aux battery

GEDC0948.JPG

Other electronics

GEDC0949.JPG

Lc80series

I was lucky enough to buy my FZJ80 with Outback Roller Drawers already installed. I'm patiently waiting for custom sleeping extension from warfieldoffroad. Will add pictures when I get them installed.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 333

JamesDowning

Explorer
Trailfrog, that's a pretty nice setup. Looks well thought out. Often when I see some of these setups, I get the impression that I pack too much.

I've often thought I should revamp mine with one of those cool under-drawer pull-out shelves.

trasko

Adventurer

I just ordered one from another site. The other place seems to include the drawers that pull out. Seems like it's going to be pretty dang heavy, but I've been looking for a way to get rid of the (very useful) large folding plastic table as well as wanting some more permanent storage for some of my gear. This thing might make sense. If not I figure I can sell it...

I'm using a full-size truck so I don't have space problems. It's more an issue of organization. My main problem is that I've got a 35" tire that rides in the bed. LOL.

Steve F

Adventurer
Here's mine all loaded up during a 1 month trip over 9000kms with 3000kms of dirt and corrugations. Held up great with no issues at all :)

20lt of water, clothing etc for 3 along with a drawer full of food and drink :) It worked really well on a day to day basis and was easy to keep tidy and pack and unpack as needed each day.

IMG_1165.jpg

Cheers
Steve

rdonahe

Observer
Yeah, wish I had that option in the Cherokee. There are four tie-down points that I might be able to use...but my storage box I'm building will be sitting on top of them...so not sure yet. Also, not too sure how much I trust them!

I've also done the subfloor option. Mine's not fancy but very functional. Plywood cut to fit, then measured and drilled holes the the floor in the cargo area and bolted the subfloor in.

slomatt

Adventurer
Recently I've been sleeping in the back of the 4runner on trips since setting up a tent gets to be a bit of a hassle. I have a fridge mounted in one of the rear seats which doesn't leave a lot of space to sleep since the wheel well intrudes into the passenger compartment.

I decided to build a sleeping platform for 1/2 of the back of the truck to provide a flat surface above the wheel well while still leaving room on the other side where I can place heavy items to keep the COG low.

The drawer and platform are both built out of 1/2 cabinet grade plywood and the sliders are old server rails I "borrowed" from work.

Time to start making some sawdust.
IMG_2886.jpg

The goal was to get elevated above the wheel well while retaining as much headroom as possible.
IMG_2887.jpg

The sliders are recessed into the sides to add strength and minimize wasted space.
IMG_2888.jpg

Test fitting the pieces together.
IMG_2912.jpg

All parts are attached using rabbits, glue, and staples.
IMG_2914.jpg

The server rails hold several hundred pounds and are almost full extension.
IMG_2943.jpg

I added a 5th tie down point in the trunk.
IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

I haven't uploaded pictures of the final setup yet, but here is a quick glance. With the front extension in place and the seat moved forward I have over 6.5' of room.
IMG_3515.jpg

My camping gear fits well in the other 1/2 of the trunk.
IMG_3545.jpg

The fridge makes a handy nightstand. I built some screened vents to go in the windows.
IMG_3546.jpg

The space under the extension is great for storing shoes and other gear.
IMG_3547.jpg

I'll upload some more pictures of the final setup at some point.

- Matt

slomatt

Adventurer
Here's one more from a trip this weekend.

The front extension unlatches and slides over the storage box for transport. I throw the bags from my chair and table on top of the propane cans to fill in the gap above the wheel well. With the air mattress in place it is a completely flat surface.

IMG_3861.jpg

- Matt

argonzero

Hello everyone,

I used to have some stuff posted here a few years ago when I made my first storage setup out of HDPE plastic and metal framing with a RTT, but it took forever to take in and out. This time I made one that can be taken in and out with ease and sits on top of a cart I made, it stores sideways in my garage. I'm planning to do a full write up when time permits, but I mainly wanted to make a self contained, lightweight, secure (against rocky roads, and against thieves) storage solution for trips without compromising the rear seats. My last setup had the fridge inside, and pretty much could only carry two people. This time, we made a trip out to Monache Meadows and back with four people in comfort. Here are some pictures from its maiden voyage.

Some of the features are:
-48" slideout drawer
-22" slideout table under the drawer
-30" slideout for the fridge
-18 Gallon water tank, heated with a Helton heat exchanger
-Faucet and shower heads
-125 amp deep cycle battery
-2 pressure switched water pumps
-Two auto shut off quick disconnecting water outlets
-5 switches and one 12v outlet
-recessed handles and tie down rings on the side of the box
-Gas cans, potable water cans fit inside on the side of the box.
-I have a RTT, but its huge and bulky/flappy. Decided to use a coleman instant tent for now until I get an Airtop.

1.JPG

Drawer goes out, table goes over

2.JPG

Showing the fridge slideout, its the lowest profile I could make. Approx 1/2 inch thick. My wife Far on the left, friends Chris and Kim on the right.

3.JPG

here's the faucet unit, it can clamp anywhere on the four openings of the drawer. I was going to make the sink a part of the table, but I figured having two or more wash buckets was actually more functional. You just carry the water away and dump it, rather than having hoses and such for drainage.

4.JPG

The quick disconnects and switch panel. Also shows one of the recessed handles I put in. There are four more on the side of the box.

5.jpg

Detail shot of the slide. There are lids for the top also, which works perfectly for putting your ingredients/beers while your cooking/hanging around the kitchen.

6.jpg

Storage for the sink and hoses go perfectly into the angled area above the switch panel box.

7.jpg

Truck from outside, you'd never think there was a setup in it. Sleeper!

8.JPG

The LED light setup at night, turns on with a switch from the panel. 16W each, cooled with the aluminum from the camper door. Runs on 2.6 amp hours, barely a hit on the battery all night. 1500 lumens total, about the output of a dual mantle lantern. It provided enough light for our entire campsite.

9.jpg

An image of the light output. This really only shows the brightest areas, but there is much more usable light further away also. No need for headlamps!

10.JPG

Our campsite with the privy with bio-bags for toilet/showers. The outback porta privys are awesome! We slept in the screen house it was so nice outside.

11.JPG

A pic of Monache Meadow just for fun.

12.JPG

Across from our camp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles