Post up your drawer/storage system

Bob Freda

Adventurer
I just finished my remodel of my Jeep WK. I wanted storage but also a place to sleep inside the vehicle when traveling alone. By relocating the fridge and battery positions I could get a flat area about 30" wide by 78" long with the passenger seat all the way forward.
image.jpg
The draw unit is your basic home built unit of 3/4" birch plywood with some parts of 1/2" . Full extension slides and a slam latch ( thanks to this thread for the many ideas )
image.jpg

image.jpg

I added a pull out shelf for my stove or just a counter top to the underside of the drawer unit with some aluminum chanel and plywood.

image.jpg

The sleeping extension clips to the rear of the drawer case and has fold up legs to sit on the floor just behind the passenger seat.
image.jpg
Overall I think it came out great (don't look too close at my workmanship !!) so glad I found this thread .

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The space under the drawer comes in handy for extra storage too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks Scott I got my inspiration from your build.

I need to install a latch or pull on the inside of the rear hatch. It is needed to open the hatch from the inside when sleeping. I have been using the key fob to open the rear glass and then reaching out and opening the rear hatch.

snye

Finally Got Around to Mine

Love this thread, looked through it multiple times and got a lot of great ideas in preparation for building mine. I need to get some bigger rope for handles - I went with rope cause I didn't want a metal handle scratching up the lift gate, and I didn't want to pay for a recessed southco type latch. I was worried the contents (especially a Coleman stove) would be rattling around back there but I don't hear a thing so far. I used speaker box carpet vs paint and thought it turned out pretty decent.

One question I'm concerned about though is the weight. The thing weighs 100 lbs empty, probably 150 to 200 full. Think that will affect my gas mileage much?

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

mm58

Observer
Not going to effect your gas mileage to anything noticable at all. 150-200 pounds is just like a passenger in the car. The biggest thing that will easily effect gas mileage would be external drag (at higher speeds)

T-Rey1

Adventurer
Not going to effect your gas mileage to anything noticable at all. 150-200 pounds is just like a passenger in the car. The biggest thing that will easily effect gas mileage would be external drag (at higher speeds)

My third row seats were almost 100lbs. Kind of equals out.

rayra

Expedition Leader
These 12" toolbags will be $5ea the weekend of Jan 9 at Harbor Freight. Would make a good way to organize a drawer's contents.

image_23635.jpg

Color code the handles or label them with a silver metallic Sharpie pen right on the fabric of the bag.
Tool Kit - mechanics tools, etc
Tow Kit - trailer plugs, towing strap
Flat Tire Kit - old school plugs, goop, fix-a-flat, small 12v air pump
Stuck Kit - collapsing shovel, snatch strap, traction tool
Snow kit - snow chains, gloves, safety vest
Roadside Emergency Kit - flares, flashlights, glass smasher / seatbelt cutter. magnet-attaching palm sized work lights.

dgillis73

These 12" toolbags will be $5ea the weekend of Jan 9 at Harbor Freight. Would make a good way to organize a drawer's contents.

image_23635.jpg

Color code the handles or label them with a silver metallic Sharpie pen right on the fabric of the bag.
Tool Kit - mechanics tools, etc
Tow Kit - trailer plugs, towing strap
Flat Tire Kit - old school plugs, goop, fix-a-flat, small 12v air pump
Stuck Kit - collapsing shovel, snatch strap, traction tool
Snow kit - snow chains, gloves, safety vest
Roadside Emergency Kit - flares, flashlights, glass smasher / seatbelt cutter. magnet-attaching palm sized work lights.

Actually bought a few of those without knowing just how well they would fit in my drawers, but found out by playing with them that they are a near perfect fit for my drawers. They are of decent build quality, and the little pockets on the inside of the bags are good for all sorts of things that are small and normally end up at the bottom of the drawers. Good price too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94