Post up your drawer/storage system

Lucky j

Explorer
What about soaking tha cardboard with epoxy resin?

As for hidden or enclosed compartment at a boorder crossing, why does it change anything?

When they ask you what you are bringing in the country, you mention up front what you have, and then if they decided to surch your vehicule, you just mention where the compartiment are, that is it. You need to declare fire arm, alcool, tabaco, food and marchandise anyway. Where you store them is just ...well storage.

Just a tought.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
What about soaking tha cardboard with epoxy resin?

As for hidden or enclosed compartment at a boorder crossing, why does it change anything?

When they ask you what you are bringing in the country, you mention up front what you have, and then if they decided to surch your vehicule, you just mention where the compartiment are, that is it. You need to declare fire arm, alcool, tabaco, food and marchandise anyway. Where you store them is just ...well storage.

Just a tought.
If they think you have something hidden it makes them doubt your story as a whole. If you are forth coming from the beginning they feel you are more cooperative.

If you would like to test the theory, just begin with the statement that you don't consent to any searches...

coop74

Old Camping Dude
A related question. Does anyone know if slides intended to be mounted vertically for drawers can be mounted horizontally to be used below a platform?

I assume they use round bearings.

4x4junkie

Explorer
^^
Many (most?) can be mounted horizontally, though you do give up a lot of their rated capacity that way (I recall something like 50-60%, without actually looking it up again).
The pull-out shelf I have below my fridge slide has horizontally-mounted slides.

Woodsman

Adventurer
A related question. Does anyone know if slides intended to be mounted vertically for drawers can be mounted horizontally to be used below a platform?

I assume they use round bearings.

^^
Many (most?) can be mounted horizontally, though you do give up a lot of their rated capacity that way (I recall something like 50-60%, without actually looking it up again).
The pull-out shelf I have below my fridge slide has horizontally-mounted slides.

This is correct for heavy duty slides. For example, a heavy duty slide which is rated 500 pounds in a stationary location (cabinet installed in a building) will only be rated 250-300 pounds in a mobile environment (back of truck or SUV due to possibility of not being parked on a level surface) and will only be rated 100 pounds when mounted flat/horizontally.

If you are talking about mounting standard 100 lb capacity slides flat, they will hardly hold anything because of so much material flex. They will flex substantially when just pressing down to cut some veggies.

southpier

Expedition Leader
... just begin with the statement that you don't consent to any searches...

i don't think you lead with that, but if asked (at least in the continental united states) unless there is probable cause, believe you have the right to refuse. i'm sure national border crossings operate differently, but getting all sychophantic doesn't seem too wise. i'm sure these people have enough friends.

91AzXJ

Adventurer
International border crossings institute probable cause. They have the right to search any vehicle which they feel may contain contraband. They use many different ways with which to determine which vehicles they search. If you want to refuse, they will just pull you aside and you will wait in a nice uncomfortable room until they secure a warrant. They don't play games!

Lucky j

Explorer
Why would you refuse your car search?

Unless you plan on bringning something illegal?? Then I stongly suggest you do not cross any border and remain in your country of origin?

Just a tough!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Being in the security business I agree. I however would not say hidden. Just say enclosed covered compartment under the larger flat surface in the rear of the truck. If he asks follow up question to that tell him they are covered to maintain a flat surface for storage or sleeping inside.

Always however point out things that might appear suspicious before they ask.

weird. Over-explaining is one of the things that makes most officers twitchy about your hiding something. Trying to divert their attention elsewhere. Better to volunteer nothing and give a straightforward answer when asked, 'what, that old thing? That's just a storage system to organize stuff for camping, off-road and roadside emergency gear.'

rayra

Expedition Leader
Why would you refuse your car search?

Unless you plan on bringning something illegal?? Then I stongly suggest you do not cross any border and remain in your country of origin?

Just a tough!

Frankly in the US we've got a presumption of innocence and a 4th Amendment protection against unreasonable (or unjustified) searches, unlike much of Europe and some Commonwealth countries. Citizens, not Subjects. Unlike the european system of jurisprudence, the State has to prove us guilty, rather than the european system where you have to prove your innocence. IT is the crux of Presumption of Innocence vs Presumption of Guilt. Even your Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms says you have a presumption of innocence.

You asked, I'm answering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz