Post up your drawer/storage system

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
I just finished my first drawer system, however its not that great looking and doesnt hold that much, driving back to South Carolina for my father to help me with a full on cargo system with linex exterior and memory foam pad on top takin the back seats out (a reason to stop takin college kids to the freakin liqour store now)

id like to get some ideas.

going to be kinda tall about 9-10 inchs total. right now its at 5-6 total.

Speaker

Adventurer
Mine doesn't look that fantastic either...

TrooperSleeper01.jpg

TrooperSleeper04.jpg

dnellans

Adventurer
I recently retooled my platform in the tacoma to better fit the storage containers i use and make more available room. I would highly suggest anyone with moderate woodworking skills (tablesaw access) build engineered i-beams instead of using dimensional lumber. these ibeams weigh about 60% of the 2x10's that they replaced and are much stronger. i lowered the platform and had to do a bit of custom sanding to make the platform fit nicely around the top of the wheel wells but the extra inch and a half of headroom makes all the difference in the world!

these pictures aren't the best, i'm heading out tonight for a weekend and will take some action pictures of things buttoned up and fully expanded this weekend.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

(ps, if anyone knows how to make these show up inline instead of as links let me know!)

Last edited:

pray4surf

Explorer
dnellans said:
(ps, if anyone knows how to make these show up inline instead of as links let me know!)

Looks good!

As you are composing the message, click on the mountain/sun icon and paste the URL into the field, click ok. Here is one of your pics..

main.php

Hmmm, that didn't work... Here is one I host in photobucket. My first toyota... This truck was rolled by a friend years ago.
Rick1989.jpg

I don't have a shell/topper for my Tacoma but was wondering if anyone has attempted to build one that is somewhat weatherproof/resistant....

Rick

TheRoadie

Explorer
I wanted mine to be tall enough to use some Rubbermaid tubs inside of, and the top surface is just right to hold two footlockers so they don't touch the roof. My Engel has to go in another slide-out where the rear seats were.

Under construction:

cargo10.jpg

Inside:

cargo14.jpg

Covered with indoor outdoor carpeting and most of the aluminum edging installed:

boxcovered.jpg

Engel location:

back25.jpg

Behind the driver's seat:

back27.jpg

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
very nice.

ill take a picture of mine when I get back to the truck.

basically i wanna fill the rear end like Slees outback system, but its gonna be a sleeping platform so no bigger then 10 inchs

also the front is going to have side drawers with removable bottoms, which means when i flip it up, the drawers turn into cubbies basically.

if that makes any sense?

bluedog

Adventurer
Mine was built out of 1 full sheet of 3/4 ply and the reast was scrap i had around (ok fine, I save everything)
Test Fitting
Drawersetup7Small.jpg

inside
reardrawer001Small.jpg

Drawer extended
reardrawer002Small.jpg

Carbon Fiber drawer front with Chris King drawer pull
reardrawer008Small.jpg

Inside Passenger side door:
reardrawer003Small.jpg

Good luck and have fun building.

B.

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
bluedog said:
Mine was built out of 1 full sheet of 3/4 ply and the reast was scrap i had around (ok fine, I save everything)
Sitting on the patio.
drawerphaseII1Small.jpg

inside
reardrawer001Small.jpg

Drawer extended
reardrawer002Small.jpg

Carbon Fiber drawer front
reardrawer007Small.jpg

Good luck and have fun building.

B.

oh i like that, you decided not to go all the way across?

where did you get the drawer front from?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I have an image of my drawer units in this thread: Drawer Thread .
Not a long thread but you might find some other useful stuff there...
HTH,
safari.gif

bluedog

Adventurer
neliconcept said:
oh i like that, you decided not to go all the way across?

where did you get the drawer front from?

I need to because I usually have a bike in the back. the drivers side is for that and front wheel. You can see the wheel fork in the back ground.

I got the carbon fiber off eBay, it's about 3mm thick, so it's nice and ridged. I cut it on a regular table saw with a carbide blade.

B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste