Is the upgrade worth it?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have a Canon G7 and LOVE IT! It has a lot of very cool features and makes a noob like me occasionally look like I know what I am doing... miracle worker, I tell ya.

The new version, is the Canon G9 has 2 more mega pixels, RAW format, and a larger viewer.

I can sell the G7 for $300.00 and pick up a G9 for $439.00

Are the 2 extra MP and RAW format worth the $139.00 ???

I am no professional, but on some of my zoom shots the image is a bit grainy and on regular distance shots (no zoom) there can be a little grain in low light. Will the extra MP help here? I do not even own Photoshop or Aperture, so I do not think that RAW will be much help, but then again I don't know much about it. Maybe down the road?

Thanks for the input!

greenhorn

Adventurer
Don't mean to hi-jack, but where did you get the price for a G9? I just went to Circuit City today to look at a G9, and they were selling it for $499. Looks like a sweet camera. I'm upgrading from an old Sony Cyber-shot, so I'm looking for info also.

Spenser

Adventurer
Greenhorn-Circuit City Online had the G9 for $449 last week or week before when i purchased mine. The store honored the online price, and will meet any other price, supposedly. Ask them for the online price and you will get it.

Schatten-I just got the G9 and am still learning my way around it. Photog on the board was very open with help and direction, never had the G7 but like the camera alot. There is a site, and I will try to find the link for you, that talks about the G7/G9 comparison, as well as why change or not to change.

http://www.mycanong7.com/

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php?

makes or good reading, as well as the Canon Camera digitial forum. I had no option, never having the G7 but these links might help. Good luck, good camera!

Photog

Explorer
Schatten,
You will definitely like the extra features of the G9 overthe G7.
The RAW file format will let you make adjustments to the photo, that could not be done with the JPEG format. The Canon software that comes with the camera will allow you to do some amazing things with the RAW files.

Note: Unless you like spending time working with the images on the computer, try to make the best photo you can, with the camera. If you review your images on the computer, and use the software to make improvements, it will help you to make the pictures better when you take them. This will save time not having to do repairs in the computer.

Any images you want to enlarge for printing, can be fine tuned with the Canon RAW software, and the then other photo editers.

A polarizing filter can improve many photographs, and can not be done in the computer. To use a polarizing filter, purchase the lens adapter for the camera. THe lens adapter has a 58mm filter thread at the end. Install a 58mm polarizer, and you are ready to go. This is the one I always suggest. LENSMATE.

Cheers!!:rolleyes:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Thanks Brain! I am going to start putting together a kit for the G9 - i do not know much about photography yet, but am looking forward to learning. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on the lens information. :jumping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles