Wheel shimmy

Hookman

I just bought a new 2013 Tacoma regular cab 4x4. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem. The truck drives fine on asphalt and concrete roads, until I come to grooved roads, then my truck shimmy s like a motor cycle does on a grooved road. Has any body else experienced this? It also seems to do it more when it is colder, like 40 degrees (F).

enzo

Explorer
If your talking about the steering wheel then yes. My 2000 4Runner and 2012 Tacoma do it. The 09 Tacoma I had before was the same way. It's in the steering linkage. I think there is or was a TSB out for this.

Hookman

If your talking about the steering wheel then yes. My 2000 4Runner and 2012 Tacoma do it. The 09 Tacoma I had before was the same way. It's in the steering linkage. I think there is or was a TSB out for this.

Thanks for responding.. It's not the steering wheel, but a feeling that I get from the tires and the grooved road, it's kind of hard to explain if you've never rode a motor cycle on a grated bridge or a grooved road. Most time even in a 4 wheel vehicle on a long steel grated bridge you will get this shimmy. It's kind of nerve racking when you have inclement weather going around a curve, where it has been grooved. I know with the short wheel base, the truck will have a rough ride but this I don't think it's the ride.

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Most likely tread pattern causing it. Try swapping tires with a more road tire than off road tire and see if thats it. You can always put the off road tires back on knowing nothing wrong with the truck, or stick with the street tires.

JJ

Hookman

Thanks! I put a more aggressive tire on and haven't run it much except to the house. I'll see if that's the problem. I had these OEM Dunlops and traded out for some good years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles