Dual Battery Setup- opinions?

escadventure

Adventurer
Thinking about installing a dual battery setup in my FJC.

Looking at either the Ironman 275 amp, or the IBS 200 amp.
The big difference that I see is the IBS has more switching capabilities but relies on the control modue to do so. The Ironman while less versatile, uses manual switches.

Anyone use either of these setups? Opinions about quality and reliability?

Expedition Leader
No experience with either of those, but have you considered the Dirty Parts kit? It is custom made for the FJC and has all the cables and wires already cut to length and etc. Very easy to install and it works well. Once or twice a year they will do a deeply-discounted group buy on the blue forum.

http://www.dirtyparts.com/store/detail.cfm/FJ-CRUISER-DUAL-BATTERY-KIT/pid-83094

IMG_0764.jpg

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I've also had good luck with the Dirty Parts kit in my FJC. Saves a bit on installation headaches compared to a generic kit.

I had one of the early kits for the Optima battery, but changed to a nice stainless battery tray that I bought here on ExPo from Moody when I switched to using a Sears Diehard Platinum for my second battery.

escadventure

Adventurer
They look like good installs, but I'm looking for something I can manually connect/disconnect. I didn't see that in those kits. I guess I'm a little paranoid regarding electronics failures.

4RunAmok

Explorer
They look like good installs, but I'm looking for something I can manually connect/disconnect. I didn't see that in those kits. I guess I'm a little paranoid regarding electronics failures.

You should look into a Blue Sea 7622
500(!) Amp Continuous duty
Completely automatic functionality with the ability to use the knob for manual operation, pigtail to wire in a switch if you wish.
Available through Amazon for around $150.00, the cheapest automatic system. Period.

BenHedrick

Adventurer
This setup is in my Jeep JK but I am running the Ironman 4x4 275amp unit and I like it very much. It is based off of all marine components and the quality is very nice. With the LED in-cab monitor, it provides you exactly where you stand with both batteries. This unit does have the ability to "self jump" your vehicle too which I think is a nice option to have.

img_6934.jpg

pt1.jpg

db1.jpg

wrcsixeight

Adventurer

I have been using a manual switch for 10 years.

The number of times I have forgotten to isolate the engine battery from house loads, a few dozen.

The number of times forgetting has stranded me.

Zero.

I like controlling the flow of alternator amps, and which battery bank starts the engine. If I really wanted automatic isolation, I would use a Dumb 200 amp Continuous duty solenoid with silver contacts activated by the blower motor circuit, which is disabled during engine cranking.

If I needed to start the engine from the house batteries, I'd just move the battery cables to the same side of the solenoid, and temporarily disable the isolation.

I don't like the voltage sensing solenoids or supposedly idiot proof systems that have a specific order of hooking up the wires on initial install. That is just asking for more problems.

escadventure

Adventurer
Yeah, I guess most of these systems do the same thing. The point is to install one of these manual switches into the system regardless of the arrangement. Thanks guys.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have been using a manual switch for 10 years.

The number of times I have forgotten to isolate the engine battery from house loads, a few dozen.

The number of times forgetting has stranded me.

Zero.

I like controlling the flow of alternator amps, and which battery bank starts the engine. If I really wanted automatic isolation, I would use a Dumb 200 amp Continuous duty solenoid with silver contacts activated by the blower motor circuit, which is disabled during engine cranking.

If I needed to start the engine from the house batteries, I'd just move the battery cables to the same side of the solenoid, and temporarily disable the isolation.

I don't like the voltage sensing solenoids or supposedly idiot proof systems that have a specific order of hooking up the wires on initial install. That is just asking for more problems.

Another vote for a manual system based on simplicity. Most relay/solenoids will have some voltage loss not with a manual switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94