How many of us bring dutch oven along?

mkitchen

Explorer
A lot of you folks put me to shame both in amount and skills.

Well I can see that I am not the only one who likes to eat well when camping. For many years I did bicycle touring and kept to a simple backpacking stove and very simple, hardy meals. Now I like to expand a bit and the DO's really are a big part of that. Looking forward to getting out with other DO cooks and seeing what mouth watering meals come out of those simple cookers.
Mikey

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'm most certainly a noob when it comes to DO cooking but i'm trying. My wife pulled a DO potroast reciepe off of a website and we made it when camping with my son and our 2 cousins. I was fighting the three boys off to get the last bits off the bottom of the oven. No worries about cleaning as we destroyed it. I've never had potroast that just fell apart tender as that one was before. I ended up with 2 dutch ovens that were my grandparents. One has the feet and lip on the lid and the other is smooth. The smooth one is our dedicated home use and the other for camping. Chili is one of my go to favorites at home with one. I'll be watching this thread for more reciepes. Now I'm hungry.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I will now. The wife got me a Dutch oven and a tripod for campfire cooking. Would like to add a deep wall skilled as well. Grandma made a lot of meals that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joanne

Adventurer
If you're looking for a dutch oven to cook a whole turkey in, check out Maca dutch ovens. They come in pretty big sizes and extra deep models, AND! you can get custom cast lids. http://www.macaovens.com/

A Maca 17" is the latest addition to my collection. It's a GREAT turkey oven and will feed close to 50 when filled with beef stew. At 67 pounds it's a bit of a beast though. I can only move it in pieces though. I move the oven where I want it, then the lid. Not much of an expedition oven, but will feed a big group of folks at base camp.

Joanne

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Usually, 2 come along

Initially, it was just thought a cool thing to bring along one, then we finally started using them and found they were a great treat to use on a open fire in a remote place. Mind you no stoves, no charcoal just what can be provided by wood fire.

On our Lewis and Clark trip in 2004, I read that their Dutch Oven was one of the few items that made the entire trip to the Pacific and back. It was so valued that it was never considered an item to be traded for much needed items, especially on the trip back.

Kind of tricky cooking with it on an open fire but well worth the experience.

http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showthread.php?6070-Dutch-Oven-Banana-Bread

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:

Adventure IQ

Explorer
sorry for being a bit of a newbie when it comes to DO cooking but do you just mix this all together and is it just a dry cake mix and the sprite or do you need to actually make the mix per instructions?

An easy newbie technique is to take along a roll of biscuits, open and place in bottom of the DO, then open a can of pie filling, cover with another can of biscuits....cook until you can smell it.... Great cobbler....

pyrate

Rollin' along
Any suggestions on a smaller oven for one or two people? Seems some like you still want a certain depth to really cook well.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I like a 10" oven for two people. I normally don't like using aluminum foil in my ovens but when it is just me and wife, I will use aluminum foil to make sections in the oven. You can then cook a main dish and a couple side dishes or deserts all at the same time. My daughter is a picky eater so I bought a couple of 3/4 qt ovens that I make her meals in when she comes along. the smaller ovens just take a little adjusting to get used to and are more finicky about the placement of coals.

pyrate

Rollin' along
I like a 10" oven for two people. I normally don't like using aluminum foil in my ovens but when it is just me and wife, I will use aluminum foil to make sections in the oven. You can then cook a main dish and a couple side dishes or deserts all at the same time. My daughter is a picky eater so I bought a couple of 3/4 qt ovens that I make her meals in when she comes along. the smaller ovens just take a little adjusting to get used to and are more finicky about the placement of coals.

Thanks. Never thought about partitioning off the oven. Thanks.

Now I need to work on recipes. I always attempt to try some things at home before heading out and never do and never want to risk screwing it up when you are in the middle of nowhere so my experience is limited cooking w/ one myself for things other than a stew etc.

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland

ditto thanks great idea to partition :)

gm13

Adventurer
Delicious, simple DO no-knead bread, haven't tried it with coals yet but making a lot at home.

taugust

Adventurer
Almost exactly 4 years ago, I posted a recipe that I adapted for the DO, either in the kitchen, or outdoors. This is very similar to that made in the video, but uses sourdough starter instead of yeast. The thread has a post with a pdf on how to make and care for your own starter. Very simple and basic. It never lasts long when I bring it for a potluck or for dinner at home. Start it on a Saturday night for Sunday dinner. For my birthday, I received a sourdough recipe book from Alaska. More fun to try.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/22444-A-Dutch-Oven-No-Knead-Bread-Recipe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste