How many of us bring dutch oven along?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Man, I need to camp with some of you more often :D

I'd love to get more into dutch-oven cooking, I just don't have the skill set and get too impatient at camp. That said some of the best camp meals I've ever had came out of a dutch over, no comparison.

CYi5

Explorer
I got my girlfriend a 12" Lodge DO for her birthday this past year. I know I know, not generally a good idea to get a woman an "appliance" for her special day, but she loves it. We've done breakfast quiche, corn bread, chicken pot pie, and chili so far. They always turn out surprisingly well, especially if cooking for a small group of people.

The 12" seems to be a little large for the two of us; we always have left overs (which isn't such a bad thing!) We found it beneficial to measure out the ingredients in little baggies beforehand which takes the stress out of the cooking and lets you enjoy the activity while out in the sticks.

Joanne, your dishes look amazing. I hadn't thought of the cinnamon rolls breakfast idea, too easy!

6x6pinz

Adventurer
headed out in the morning for a l o n g weekend. Have three of my ovens loaded and ready to go. doing a full turkey dinner saturday night (one guy is deep frying the turkey). i am going to do up some candied yams and pumpkin pies for my contribution to the meal. Friday night is a large chicken pot pie for every one. I don't normally do bird dishes but I am making an exception on this trip. I am doing a breakfast pizza one morning and a baked pancake breakfast the next morning. I am not sure what the others in the group are doing for the rest of the meals. Always a surprise but I know we will eat well. I still don't know why people don't like to camp.

mkitchen

Explorer
headed out in the morning for a l o n g weekend. Have three of my ovens loaded and ready to go. doing a full turkey dinner saturday night (one guy is deep frying the turkey). i am going to do up some candied yams and pumpkin pies for my contribution to the meal. Friday night is a large chicken pot pie for every one. I don't normally do bird dishes but I am making an exception on this trip. I am doing a breakfast pizza one morning and a baked pancake breakfast the next morning. I am not sure what the others in the group are doing for the rest of the meals. Always a surprise but I know we will eat well. I still don't know why people don't like to camp.

Wow that sounds like a heck of a feed. You're all going to have to go on a diet when you go back. It does sound like fun. Keep me in mind as I only get off on Saturday this week. Post some pics when you get back.
Mikey

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
If you keep that up you'll be asking yourself "Where can I go to cook this food?" instead of "What am I going to cook while I'm out camping?"

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Already ask that. Seems that half the fun is the challenge of being able to make something different while camping. I did not take any pics, which is normal for me, but some of the guys did. Waiting for them to send me the pics.

have this weekend off but will be out on the trails again super bowl weekend. Going to get a trail ride in before the game. Actually have plans to be out every other weekend til the heat gets to much, then time to travel north.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I can see a back country dutch oven gathering coming together some time in the future. Excluding the size and space that a DO needs, they are a perfect match to back country travel. As one of the earlier posts stated; there are a lot of DO groups out there and they all list lots of recipes.
We travel a lot with our teardrop (a pavement pounder) and when we stay with tearjerkers we always see lots of other folks cooking with DO's. They really are fun to cook with.
Mikey

I'm pretty famous around here for my DO cooking.
...and my offroad teardrop...
...and my healthy cooking; the wife and I are vegan. DO cooking can be very very healthful if you try a little.

I use the GSI annodized aluminum oven. Quick clean-up, quick heat-up.

Fresh French rolls
NewYearsCamping12-30-12084.jpg

For Tofurkey keilbasa
059-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

Country Fried Weekend is the SouthEast Expedition Society's annual weekend to showcase camp cooking. I made a kick-butt vegan shepherd's pie last weekend that disappeared quickly.
Keep an eye on the SouthEast section of the forum if you want to come next year.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...try-Fried-Weekend-2013-sign-up-and-discussion
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/93803-Country-Fried-Photo-Thread-2013

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'd only use the annodized aluminum, not the cast; it's sealed, very nonstick, light weight, heats fast, travels better.
Weight doesn't matter to me as much as it used to but I won't go back to cast iron now that I'm used to the convenience of aluminum.

Oh, the camp that says that you get more "flavor" from the iron, you also get bear/raccoon-attracting odor.
I just wipe the aluminum oven out with a paper towel and then boil a little water and it's sanitary in there.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've never cooked food in an aluminum dutch oven, but I have made ice cream in one! It was a cast aluminum oven, we made up the ice cream soup and filled a big galvanized bucket with ice and rock salt and put the oven in it, then ever couple minutes we would stir it around with a stiff spatula until it was done. We got a lot of confused looks from people when we did that.

cactusjk

Explorer
That's a big plus! Any other advocates?

I'd only use the annodized aluminum, not the cast; it's sealed, very nonstick, light weight, heats fast, travels better.
Weight doesn't matter to me as much as it used to but I won't go back to cast iron now that I'm used to the convenience of aluminum.

Oh, the camp that says that you get more "flavor" from the iron, you also get bear/raccoon-attracting odor.
I just wipe the aluminum oven out with a paper towel and then boil a little water and it's sanitary in there.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
That's a big plus! Any other advocates?

I'm a stick in the mud traditionalist when it comes to this subject. Aluminum will heat fast, but also won't hold heat as well. Weight isn't at all an issue for me when overlanding. I don't have a problem with sticking in a well seasoned cast iron DO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste