Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of us bring dutch oven along?

I'm fairly new to the Dutch oven world, I'll take it if it's a trip at least 2 days at the same camp, I don't bother if se are moving camp ever night, I'm not great at cooking with it yet. Need to pratice then I might take it every trip.

Default A growing group

I can see a back country dutch oven gathering coming together some time in the future. Excluding the size and space that a DO needs, they are a perfect match to back country travel. As one of the earlier posts stated; there are a lot of DO groups out there and they all list lots of recipes.
    We travel a lot with our teardrop (a pavement pounder) and when we stay with tearjerkers we always see lots of other folks cooking with DO's. They really are fun to cook with.
    Mikey
    PAVEMENT Another example of needless government spending.

Quote Originally Posted by mkitchen View Post
    Oh yeah, you definately need to be going on the Old Iron Run. I am going to bring two. A small one and maybe a 10" or 12". I do enjoy an easy DO pizza.
    Mikey
    If you like DO pizza for dinner you should try one of the many DO recipes for DO breakfast pizzas. My favorite uses tator rounds for a crust, a good spicy breakfast sausage, eggs and of course lots and lots of cheese.

As dinners go one of the favorite crowd pleasers that I am known for is stuffed meatloaf (or cheese loaf as some call it)

I don't think I can recall a trip where I did not take a DO. I am so bad that I even take a hybrid one when I go backpacking. When I was in scouts I was introduced to the pie tin DO. Fell in love with the concept of being able to backpack and enjoy my favorite DO meals. There is nothing like a deep dish pepperoni pizza after a long day of hiking.

Heh Heh, I use my (do everything) cast Iron pot, for "oven"-

JIMBO

My introduction to the dutch oven was on a kayak trip in Prince William Sound Alaska. We had two GSI (aluminum) models, the smaller one with on legs packs inside the larger (12"?) with legs. We'd typically use the big one to make the meal for our group (6 guys) over a camp stove, and bake a dessert or corn bread in the smaller one, using coals from the fire, every night - yes fresh baked dessert in the wilderness every night! What a change from back packing! After I got back home, we bought a GSI 12" hard anodized aluminum one.

On our yearly group Labor Day weekend (car camping) camp out, we have a dutch oven dessert cook off every year. I think they are sick of my wife always winning Think I need the get the smaller too...(Hmm my REI dividend will just cover it)

If you want to bake, you really DON'T want a domed lid one. A lid with a ridge holds the coals for proper baking. see http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...e_dutch_ovens/

For you expo-rig guys, the cast iron one will work fine for you'all. Me, I got a VW Vanagon Westfalia (95 hp), I need the lighter gear!

Yeah, for me the problem is trying not to take too many ovens with me. Keeping it down to 3 or 4 is a challenge. I also like to take my old cast iron waffle iron with me for a special morning treat. The guys like it when I set up the camp kitchen. Offering to cook gets me invited on trips that I might not otherwise. We usually set up a base camp so the weight and setup time isn't really an issue.

While I love grilling and cooking on the propane stove, there are just some things you can do in a Dutch Oven that just aren't practical using other methods. I love to have biscuits or hot cinnamon rolls in the morning. Sitting around the fire eating a bowl of cobbler makes the evening special.

Cherry Claflouti

Bread at the campsite. Yummm

Turkey if there's a crowd. That's about a 20 pound bird...

Here's my setup when we were doing a Boy Scout demo.

I guess I get carried away with things....

Joanne
    New!! www.camp-cook.com - Like to camp? Like to eat? This is the place!
    Project Desert Dawg - I build my own camping trailer

Love ours
    Adventure IQ - Dedicated to getting people off the couch. Visit us at Adventure IQ or check out the blog

that bread and turkey just look flat out yummy and I am not a big turkey guy ! but a huge bread fan oooohhhh yuuummmy looking bread !
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    my Snow Peak Reviews & Tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Here's my setup when we were doing a Boy Scout demo.

Joanne
    AWESOME!!!! Gotta love that pic.
    KE5ZSJ
    2012 JKUR - The Build Begins -
    2001 7.3 Excursion - Sold -

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast