How many of us bring dutch oven along?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm; bread.

006_zps84a4cbd7.jpg

762X39

Explorer
Your kidding? Actually, it's brilliant. I spent an hour on Saturday cleaning our Dutch Oven (a little bit of surface rust on the outside and a bit of crud on the inside from 20 years of ownership) to get it ready for this years travel and camping season. Katherine wants us to use our Dutch Oven a lot more this year so I am looking for more reasons to use it.:coffee:

6x6pinz

Adventurer
bread in the dutch oven is the best but it has to be Sourdough. I just got my starter to the point where it gives that nice and sour flavor to the breads. The last two loaves of whole wheat were gone almost before they got to room temperature.
Heading out this weekend and I will be taking along some starter to make fresh bisquits and a sourdough round for a cheese soup bowl. Makes me excited to think about the dutch ovens and bread meals coming my way.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I learned DO cooking when I was a raft guide many years ago. Now I still use them for most trips that are a few days long.
Having 3 different sizes to choose from is nice so I can tailor my kit to the groups' needs.

Canned Apple pie filling
Spice cake mix
bottle of root beer/Dr. Pepper

Be ready to fight off anyone downwind.

pyrate

Rollin' along
Broken!

Just dropped my 12" dutch oven and one of the legs broken thru the bottom! And I have a trip in three days!!! Man I hate that!

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've heard of cheap *** Chinese dutch ovens jamming a leg through the bottom like that. A lot of people like to stack up a tower of ovens too and when they are full of food the cheap ones will do that.

pyrate

Rollin' along
I've heard of cheap *** Chinese dutch ovens jamming a leg through the bottom like that. A lot of people like to stack up a tower of ovens too and when they are full of food the cheap ones will do that.

It's a Lodge, so not the "cheap"iest variety but still just as annoying. My fault but still annoying nonetheless.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
That shouldn't have happened with a Lodge dutch oven, did you drop it on concrete or something? I wonder what kind of warranty they have on them, you might be able to get a replacement.

pyrate

Rollin' along
That shouldn't have happened with a Lodge dutch oven, did you drop it on concrete or something? I wonder what kind of warranty they have on them, you might be able to get a replacement.

Not sure if it hit a rock or something when it fell. I will check if they have a warranty of some sorts. Thanks.

pyrate

Rollin' along
I almost always bring a dutch oven (or potjie) with me. Most of my deserts require a dutch oven for cooking.

Recipes? Suggestions?

Contacted Lodge about my broken one. "Durable but not indestructible." So I bought a new one. Now I have a lid for stacking coals on to put my new DO on top of. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke