89 ford e 250 4x4 suspension question/ project

Malibusurfer

Hey guys,
I am planning to convert my 89 ford van to 4x4. Looked at a number of options, but one fell in my lap and am needing some questions answered if anyone has the time. A buddy gave me a 84' Ford Bronco ( full size ). It ran and drove great before engine took a dump. I know this is a coil over front suspension, so off road will be limited, but that is fine. I basically just want a van for snow, ice and basic travel to ski mountain, etc... Will not be doing any major wheeling.... Anyone done such a conversion??? Pro's/cons?? Obstacles??? Is frame width/ size the same?? I will be using the trans (aod), transfer case and front end of Bronco... My motor is a 330hp 302. Gutted of all emissions crap and carb'd w/ headers, etc....
Thanks for any advise/help!!

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Bronco is 1/2 ton, 5 lug, and Twin-Traction Beam... and you have a 3/4 ton 8 lug.

It can be done, I like TTBs, but I don't think it is your best option.

Jeffh555

Observer
There isn't a lot of information out there, but this one looks cool.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expe...our-expo-van-4x4-van-pics-5.html#post14857185

I put a D50 in my '97 E350. The pivot points for the TTB are not the same as the I-beams so it really doesn't help. Being very familiar with TTB suspension, I believe it was easier to install the D50 TTB than it is to do a leaf sprung D60 or a '05 on up F250/350 Radius Arm axle swap. And, the TTB, with 12 inches of travel rides so much better than the straight axle options.

106779.jpg

Itsavanman

Adventurer
ok here is what i have found when i did research on doing a ttb conversion on my e150, the van i beams are longer, but looking at the crossmember, the inner pivot points are extended on the econoline, so with modification 4x4 truck beams could work. not sure, i am planning a radius arm solid 44 swap on mine instead, the outer hubs can be swapped so im told to the 3/4 ton 8 lug rotors and such, but i can't confirm that, i abandoned the ttb idea after i found the length on the van beams is longer, its going to be a lot of work, you could always part out the bronco and take the money and get a different donor for the 4x4 conversion. what i am planning is taking the axle and suspension from a 78-79 bronco with a solid 44, either moving the stock radius arm brackets back on the frame to accommodate for longer radius arms, or take the bronco radius brackets and making them work on my van, then use the stock van coil springs and weld the panhard bar mount somewhere on the frame, it seems way easier then modifying the crap out of a ttb setup, but will require modifying, or replacing the original cross-member because of axle to cross-member clearance issues. now keep in mind also that i am in the beginning stages of this project, so best to do your own research, or just buy a UJOR bracket kit and swap it that way.. only reason i am not going that way is we have strict lift laws here where im at, and also i don't need 4" of lift. also there are stock e350 school buses that are 4x4 might wanna look into what they did there.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I have a TTB E150 van. It was a Salem/Kroger conversion. It was a conversion for a handicap gentlemen that lived in the sierra's. It was converted from a truck which I believe is the same as a bronco. It is no sportsmobile,but does very well in the snow and sand. It also rides down the road a lot smoother then my friends sportsmobile. I have pics and have been going through suspension so I could answer most question for you, otherwise I will be writing a novel here on things that need to be done.
Good Luck
P1050051.jpg

P1050050.jpg

P1050049.jpg

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
i abandoned the ttb idea after i found the length on the van beams is longer.
Not only are they longer but they are to opposite front to back. You don't use the stock beam pivots at all; you make new ones. You can use the radius arm pivots but we like to make the radius arms 12 inches longer for better geometry. It is really an easier conversion if you know your stuff.

VANMAN

Observer
I have posted this on the for sale forum...I have a Quigley 4x4 Dana 8 lug 3.55 geared axle with the 4 link for sale......easy bolt on ...it came off of a 1990 Ford van ..same body style as yours....it is complete brakes are good no issues with axle....all you need to fabricate is the bracket for the 4 link to attach to frame....pretty easy...I can send pics and measurements of the bracket.....I would also replace all 4 link bushings (8)......and Voila....of course you would need a transfer case also......

This would be the easiest and Cheapest way to convert your van....I just want to get it out of my garage....I wont give it away but will sell it cheap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke