USA Cross Country Dirt Road Trip "The Road Less Traveled" KosherTroops.com

BirchHill

goat farmer
Sounds like an epic adventure. Was this trail that caused the damage part of the transamerican ? Did you primarily camp or try to find lodging in closest town?

Woodsman

Adventurer
Did you figure out what percentage of your travel was on dirt vs pavement ?

When will you be providing is with your exact route so we can go out and run it ? :D

teddyearp

Adventurer
Yes, please answer the above questions as I am curious as well.

But as far as your trip and report it is tov me'od. And as one who sympathizes with Jews here and in Israel I also say, toda roba!

shimi1st

Thanks guys! Yea it was pretty epic.

To answer the questions.

1) Camping or Hotels? This past summer was to hot out to camp so we camped one night and stayed at hotels for the rest. It is possible to stay at hotels every night (which you will have to vear a little farther from the trail) as opposed to camping which can be done as well.

2) The percentage of trail vs pavement? Well in the 4 weeks of the trip we put on 10,000 miles round trip, a lot of detours to stop at places we wanted to. We did roughly 3,000 of the 4,800 mile long dirt trail. The trail starts in Southern Tennessee and runs 4,800 miles to the Pacific Coast in Oregon. Of the 4,800 miles of the trail I'd guestimate more than %90 is unpaved.

3) When will I be providing the route? Well unfortunately I cannot personally share this route. A lot of hard work and dedications has been put into creating this trail which is the gateway to an epic adventure. I purchased it from Sam Toreto, the creator of the trail. He has a website set up to learn more about the trail and purchase the entire map or just sections which can be seen at www.transamtrail.com

4) Was the damage from the trail? Yes! The trail was originally mapped out for dirt bikes. The entire section of the trail that I ran was accessible to a 4x4. Until we got 90 miles from the Pacific in the forest in Oregon. The last section of trail was minimally maintained and therefore inaccessible by 4x4. As the brush got thicker and thicker and the trees closer and closer a branch came through the window, tearing off the mirror, and damaging the door. But it was all worth it!!

Woodsman

Adventurer
3) When will I be providing the route? Well unfortunately I cannot personally share this route. A lot of hard work and dedications has been put into creating this trail which is the gateway to an epic adventure. I purchased it from Sam Toreto, the creator of the trail. He has a website set up to learn more about the trail and purchase the entire map or just sections which can be seen at www.transamtrail.com

Understandable and thanks for providing that information.

old1959

More Questions

I'm a former dual sport motorcycle rider and a little familiar with the TAT. However, due to back problems I can no longer handle the constant pounding of a dirt bike so I'm thinking of doing the TAT (maybe not all but most) by four wheels. Do you think a vehicle such as Subaru Forester could do most of this trail? I have ridden sections of the trail in Colorado and know ground clearance will be an issue so may have to do pavement in those areas. Thanks for taking the time to share your story.

shimi1st

As long as you have AWD/4WD most of the trails are passable. But yea through the mountainess areas you may run in to some ground clearance issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles