Trailer build from scratch

Youngunner

Adventurer
I was fed up with having to load, unload and store all my camping gear (especially the roof top tent) so I decided to look into trailers. I looked at a couple of military jeep trailers (M101s, 416s) but decided that style was not ideal for my needs. I wanted something similar to a conqueror with a little more room for my fridge, a battery system, a kitchenette, and plenty of extra storage. I'm not a crazy "prepper" but I like the idea of having survival "bug-out" supplies in a trailer ready to go.

I give credit of my design to this home-built trailer from Australia.
DO47_WR29_selfdoen-04.jpg

I created this final design using the free google CAD software (awesome by the way if you've never used it).
trailerbox.jpg

Youngunner

Adventurer
Started the frame after extensive research. I actually purchased CAD designs from an Australian company. In my opinion, the Aussies make far superior designs for off-road trailers.

A common stess and failure area is where the drawbar "A-frame" meets the rectangular ladder frame. I chose to extend the drawbar under the rectangular frame which allows flex without the direct stress on a weld seam. The ladder frame is identical to that of a M416 and the camping "box" will be bolted to the frame as a removable unil and I could drop a military 1/4 ton trailer box on this same frame.
P4090022.JPG

Youngunner

Adventurer
I incorporated a receiver for a bike mount, etc into the back. I planned from the start to use a multi-axis coupler. The frame is 2x3 .120 wall with the ladder "rungs" being 2x2 .120 wall. The start of the main box seen in this photo is 1x2 0.65 wall (I think). The two rear uprights are 2x2 .95 wall tube originally over-engineered to support tire swing out hinges. I also incorporated the fender extensions into the frame so this thing will be bullet-proof on trails
P4130024.JPGP4130026.JPGP4180033.JPG

Youngunner

Adventurer
I had a custom axle fabricated locally with the option to add brakes later. 6 lug and same track width to match the Tacoma. The suspension is stock Tacoma leafs with Bilstein 5100s off my truck. I had to buy some custom weld-on spring hangers to get it all mounted. I like the idea of having spare parts for the truck on the trailer!

I also did a lot of research about trailer suspension. Looked at airbags/independent arms but was out of the budget. I have read some very sucessful stories about long (truck) leaf springs versus short (trailer) leaf springs and the long-life performance.

There is also a 16 gallon water tank on a reinforced frame under the main ladder frame. I can add more water in 1 gallon containers inside the trailer rather than a bigger single tank. One puncture and your entire supply is gone. Plus gallon jugs are easier to move around.
P5020040.JPGP5020041.JPGP5040001.JPG

Youngunner

Adventurer
I added all provisions for mounting the main box and other accessories so I would not have to drill any holes in the frame to let rust in. The frame was powder-coated locally and turned out fantastic. The third leg will get a pneumatc tire and is removable so it doesn't get blasted by kicked-up gravel and doesn't decrease ground clearance. There are provisions for drop legs on the rear of the frame. Love my retro Toyota mud flaps.
0531121825.jpg0531121825a.jpg

Youngunner

Adventurer
Continued work on the box frame, making provisions for all the compartment doors. There is a 1 inch flat bar lip around each opening and I found some of the pinch-on moulding with the rubber seal that will compress when the doors close. I have stainless marine hinges and pop up compression latches with the ability to lock. Sorry for the bad pictures.
0531122129.jpg0531122130.jpg

Youngunner

Adventurer
I was fortunate to come across a large amount of aluminum diamond plate, enough to do the entire trailer plus extra for $40. The roof and floor will be solid sheets of .100 aluminum, scrap pieces I found on craigslist for a steal. I am not fond of the polished sheet, so it will all be blasted with the doors being natural and the frame painted with zero-rust tan (see original post for final design)
1207121532.jpg1207121549.jpg

Youngunner

Adventurer
Still working on doors. The skin will be affixed with Sikaflex. Have to finish up the slide outs for the fridge and National Luna power pack. Also working on the side kitchenette accessable via a drop down door. Stay tuned...

TheThom

Adventurer
Awesome. Subscribed. You sandbagged it with the "Trailer build from scratch" title. Then you come out swinging with thoroughly thought out concepts, ideas and know-how. Nice work. Keep em coming.

Youngunner

Adventurer
Test fitting the tent, spare tire, fridge, battery, etc. Working on making slide outs using heavy duty snap-on tool box sliders. Also got my max coupler shimmed with aluminum angle inside the receiver to solve the sloppy fit.

P1100026.jpgP1100028.jpgP1100029.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke