M416 Trailer....Need advice

Flashole

Adventurer
My questions are these.

I want to put 33x12.5's on it to match my jeep, so what's the best way to get the same lug pattern as my TJ? Should I buy the adapters? Should I just buy a whole new axle? Can I just replace the hubs? I guess I should mention that all the hand brake stuff is missing off the trailer, so I'm not dead set on keeping the original axle. If I opt to just purchase a new axle, what weight rating should I go with and more importantly, what width? Is there any other considerations that I'm not thinking of?

Where do I find replacement suspension parts? I feel like I read somewhere that they are the same parts as an older model CJ, but I have no idea if that's true, or if so, what model. I'm mainly talking about the spring hangers and bolts with the grease fittings. I have no idea what they are called.

Since I'm doing the spring over axle conversion, the lower shock mount will end up on top of the axle and spring. How will that work? And how do I know what kind/size of shocks to order?

I am ready to send it out for sandblasting and powdercoationg, but i dont want to pay to have the axle done if i'm just going to end up buying a new one.

Thanks for the help!

Pics:)

How I bought it.
DSC00275.jpg

Disassembled and ready for Sandblasting and powder coating.
DSC00120.jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Just buy Jeep wheels that match that hub pattern. After the spring over you, will have to have new shock mounts welded on. With a springover you don't want to have springs that are too stiff so the springs you have should be just fine.

I wish I had the wheel partnumber for you but any jeep shop should be able to get that for you. It is a 5.5 bolt pattern and a 3" hub opening.

Hope this helps

Flashole

Adventurer
Just buy Jeep wheels that match that hub pattern. After the spring over you, will have to have new shock mounts welded on. With a springover you don't want to have springs that are too stiff so the springs you have should be just fine.

I wish I had the wheel partnumber for you but any jeep shop should be able to get that for you. It is a 5.5 bolt pattern and a 3" hub opening.

Hope this helps

The problem with that is that my Jeep's lug pattern is 5x4.5, and I really want all to be consistent because I don't want to carry more than one spare tire. I know i can buy the adapters, but for about the same price, I can buy a new axle and mounting hardware. I guess I'm wondering which is the best way to go. Is there is some reason to keep the stock axle other than the hand brake system, because that's already gone.

jomobco

Now Decanter
I swapped my trailer out from 5x5.5 to 5x5 for the JK. Can't you just swap hub assembly to 5x4.5? Have you called a trailer supply company? It's probably just new bearings and hubs.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I think most guys are putting 3500# axles in, i personally would opt for a new axle with electric brakes. Might be a few dollars more than buying spacers..

I havent done so yet but planned to order from this guy. www.abctrailerparts.com

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Welcome to the M416 world!!!!

If you want to keep the axle, US Adapters in Colorado can make you a set of adapter for about $150. If you are not set on the original go for the 3500# with the electric brake. I kept the original since i drive a CJ and the bolt pattern is the same.

The suspension parts are all from a CJ3, i rebuilt my entire suspension and axle with these parts.

I have 33x12.5 on my trailer to match my jeep and it takes a springover to work without rubbing on mine. I did not have to weld new shock points.

There is a lot of info on my build thread listed below.

Where in TX? I am outside of Dallas.

Have fun and post lots of pictures.

Flashole

Adventurer
Welcome to the M416 world!!!!

If you want to keep the axle, US Adapters in Colorado can make you a set of adapter for about $150. If you are not set on the original go for the 3500# with the electric brake. I kept the original since i drive a CJ and the bolt pattern is the same.

The suspension parts are all from a CJ3, i rebuilt my entire suspension and axle with these parts.

I have 33x12.5 on my trailer to match my jeep and it takes a springover to work without rubbing on mine. I did not have to weld new shock points.

There is a lot of info on my build thread listed below.

Where in TX? I am outside of Dallas.

Have fun and post lots of pictures.

Don, I've seen your thread, both here and on LSJC. It's probably what got me wanting one of these things. I'll look back through it again though. BTW, you're trailer is outstanding!!! So is your CJ!!

I think I am just going to go with a new 3,500# axle. They really aren't that expensive once you consider the cost of sandblasting, powdercoating and the adapters for the old one. Seems like it's pretty much a wash.

You said that you did not have to weld new shock points. Were you able to just use the old ones, only above the springs?

I'm in Irving. I've only had my Jeep since May. I've done a lot of work to it, but I haven't even had it out wheeling yet. I'm hoping to go on some LSJC runs this next year.

Flashole

Adventurer
I think most guys are putting 3500# axles in, i personally would opt for a new axle with electric brakes. Might be a few dollars more than buying spacers..

I havent done so yet but planned to order from this guy. www.abctrailerparts.com

How necessary are the electric brakes. There is a substantial price difference between new axles with brakes and without them.

FredB

Observer
I ended up with a new axle. I have an XJ, same pattern as the TJ. I'm also running 33x12.5" tires. I had to deal with a tub that was widened 3", along with everything else. I didn't get an axle with brakes, they are easy to add as an afterthought. Doing a springover, a new axle makes it easier. I used the original shock mounts. The shocks don't really do anything significant that I've noticed hauling the trailer loaded a few times. I would like parking brakes, but the only kit I've seen costs 1/2 what I paid for the trailer.

Flashole

Adventurer
I ended up with a new axle. I have an XJ, same pattern as the TJ. I'm also running 33x12.5" tires. I had to deal with a tub that was widened 3", along with everything else. I didn't get an axle with brakes, they are easy to add as an afterthought. Doing a springover, a new axle makes it easier. I used the original shock mounts. The shocks don't really do anything significant that I've noticed hauling the trailer loaded a few times. I would like parking brakes, but the only kit I've seen costs 1/2 what I paid for the trailer.

Why was your tub widened 3"?

So, if I buy an axle without brakes, they can be added easily later?

With a new axle, will I need to weld in new axle seats?

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
My criteria were very similar to yours - new axle to match not only lug pattern but axle length to track behind the YJ. You probably _can_ add the brakes later, but given the effort (if you want brakes, and it is nice) then buy an axle with brakes. I run 33x12.5 as well and did the SoA, but never have gotten around to re-mounting the shocks. Rides fine without, but I do have it on my todo list... Good luck, nice find!

Flashole

Adventurer
My criteria were very similar to yours - new axle to match not only lug pattern but axle length to track behind the YJ. You probably _can_ add the brakes later, but given the effort (if you want brakes, and it is nice) then buy an axle with brakes. I run 33x12.5 as well and did the SoA, but never have gotten around to re-mounting the shocks. Rides fine without, but I do have it on my todo list... Good luck, nice find!

So, what length axle did you buy?

ETA....I called a local trailer supply store today to see about buying just the hubs. He suspected that it's possible, but needed the numbers off the bearings. I haven't had time to tear down the axle yet. Does anybody know for sure what size bearings the original axles have in them.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Here is a link to the M416 TM

It has the FSN for every single part used on the M416. You should be able to find from that any part you need and it's specs from the manual

If you have a Nook, look up the TM number and it is available as a free download there as well.

Last edited:

Flashole

Adventurer
Here is a link to the M416 TM

It has the FSN for every single part used on the M416. You should be able to find from that any part you need and it's specs from the manual

If you have a Nook, look up the TM number and it is available as a free download there as well.

Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a FSN and TM number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles