M416 Trailer....Need advice

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
It was so many years ago, I don't recall the length, but I'm also not sure the YJ and TJ are the same, so just measure your Jeep and order to match. I got lucky and the axle selection at the local Agri Supply was a perfect match.

Flashole

Adventurer
Don, I appreciate that.

I am going to call around today to see if I can just order the Hub. That would probably be the absolute cheapest route.

I did get a chance to pull out the bearings last night. Once side looks to be brand new, but the other looks like it's been though a war:Wow1: After looking at it, I'm really glad I decided to trailer it home.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Thank you!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a FSN and TM number?

Sorry,
TM is Technical Manual and FSN is Federal Stock Number. Every single individual military part has a FSN and all devices (i.e. a trailer) are an assembly of FSNs and have a TM associated with them.

I think FSNs have now been replaced by NSNs (National Stock Numbers)... same thing but the M416 parts use the old FSN designations.

Flashole

Adventurer
Sorry,
TM is Technical Manual and FSN is Federal Stock Number. Every single individual military part has a FSN and all devices (i.e. a trailer) are an assembly of FSNs and have a TM associated with them.

I think FSNs have now been replaced by NSNs (National Stock Numbers)... same thing but the M416 parts use the old FSN designations.

Thanks, makes sense. Although I believe the TM I have lists NSNs. Another stupid question.....How do you translate NSNs or FSNs to usable information? I mean, can I call up a parts store and make an order using those numbers? How/what do you cross-reference them with?

I'm sorry if these questions are covered in the Manual. I've glanced through it, but can't seem to find enough time to thoroughly read through 260+ pages. I probably just need to print it off. For what ever reason, I have trouble staying focused when looking at PDFs. ADD probably:costumed-smiley-007

FredB

Observer
Why was your tub widened 3"?

So, if I buy an axle without brakes, they can be added easily later?

With a new axle, will I need to weld in new axle seats?

Previous owner widened it so he could fit his ATV on it.

Yes, axle seats have to be welded on a new axle. Also, you will need to get custom U-bolts, which I ordered on line after measuring and giving them the dimensions.

I bought a 3500# axle that was 64" wms to wms. This accomodated the widened tub and the stock backspacing on the wheels. If you happen to be already running steelies with a 3.5" backspacing, and with a hole to accomodate the trailer hub, it helps. I've been running an XJ for 20 years, and just never considered wheels that had to fit over a hub. DUH.

FredB

Observer
Here's a picture comparing the axles.

100_4241.jpg

And here is one showing the new axle mounted using the original mounting plates with the shock attached. The shock is at such an angle, that even if it was't worn out, it wouldn't have much effect. You can also see how the stock tires were banging into the tub after it was widened.

100_4250.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles