Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All new 2014 Silverado/Sierra launch airing live 12-13-12 at 9:30 EST

Default All new 2014 Silverado/Sierra launch airing live 12-13-12 at 9:30 EST

For those GM truck freaks and geeks, we will finally get to see the wraps taken off GMís latest full-size truck offering Thursday, December 13th at 9:30 EST. You can catch links to the live revealing on the Silverado or GMC Facebook pages. There are also links to the live reveal from both Chevrolet and GMC websites.

I know I am anxious to see the all new GM trucks and even more anxious to see the 2007 to current GMT900ís come to an end. The GMT900ís have been a huge disappointment in exterior design and body quality, not that the GMT800ís before them were all that great either. The current Silverado look like a horrible cornucopia of ill-fitting Chinese counterfeit aftermarket body parts smeared over a pickup truck silhouette, while the GMC Sierra is only slightly better. The body panels are paper thin with horrible body stamping witness marks noticeable on just about every panel on the truck, front inner fenders that constantly fall down into plain sight and my biggest pet peeveÖ.the lack of a rocker panel to protect the door bottoms.

Hopefully, GM can redeem themselves (at least in my eyes) with their latest offerings. Weíll see! Check out the live launch tomorrow morning. It should be fun to watch or poke fun of after. Hopefully the first.

GMC Reveal link. Pretty sure this link will be for the Silvy too.
    1978 Chevrolet K10, Vortec 8.1L, NV4500, NP205
    2011 Phoenix Camper
    1992 Toyota 4Runner
    1989 Chevrolet Suburban, V2500, 5.7L, NV4500
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, 8.1L, ZF S6-650 6-speed manual trans. Owned since new

Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. Between these new trucks and the new Corvette, I'm hoping for some big improvements from GM.

Jason

Can't wait to see what GMC has to offer. My 2002 2500HD has been a great truck.
    GM did think when they built it and made working on it somewhat easy.
    It has held up well on the Pennsylvania pot hole, Salt loaded roads.

I'm with you my 2002 Silverado has been a great truck, but when I went to test drive a 900, it just didn't feel right. I hope they can do better.

Well, just watched to live stream. Very underwhelming. I like the led lighting under the rails, and I wonder how different the new V6 is. Otherwise they look like slightly updated GMT900s. New rearend in the half ton dosn't look like the old AAM 8.6, looks more like the AAM 7.6 (Colorado) although I'm sure its a larger ring and pinion.

Wow!
    Thanks GM for saving me $40,000.00 I will keep my 10 year old Sierra 2500HD.
    The 2014 did not change enough for my interest, Looks like a dodge from the side and ford from the front.
    What is with the "Family Truckster" front end I wonder if they will offer it in green with wood grain sides?
    Oh boy! and intergrated bumper step, anouther dirt catcher to harbor rust.
    The Big three keep pushing me away with their designs, Maybe they should ask what the truck guys want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Harley; 12-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I actually really like them although I think the GMC fenders are a bit over-designed although I do like the GMC tail lights better. Even at that, I still think the Ram brand owns the best full-size truck design language right now. If you look closely you can see a lot of Ram in the new GM twins. The door frames fully enclosing into the cab are very Ramish and even Titanish. If you donít know any better the interior center stack looks pretty much like Ram as well. Especially the new í13 Ram.

Early on in the GM truck development there was a lot talk how Ram had the most influence on the new GM truck design, which makes perfect sense as studies, as well as Polk data, have shown Ram has stolen more customers from GM than any other including Ford. As a multi generation life-long GM fan that has owned 7 new GM products since 1997, 4 of which were trucks, I too have felt abandon by GM in 2007 when the GMT900s launched as they were such a horrible execution of a truck. If I were in the market for a new heavy duty pickup today it would be an easy decision of a Ram Power Wagon.

Everybody has their own opinions but in my opinion GM has always owned the gas market as they have always had great rock solid dependable gasoline powertrains. I am a huge fan of the technology behind direct injection but am also worried these new DI engines may follow the unreliable and expensive to repair ways that the modern diesels engines have gone. Time will tell. Ramís Hemi engines are a close second but it is no secret Chrysler has never done an outstanding job with fine tuning their engine calibrations.

As with my comments regarding the í07-í12 GMT900 body design and quality this is one example of what I was talking about. For whatever reason, GM decided to not encapsulate the door bottoms in rocker panels. This caused a lot of road noise, doors that didnít operate correctly when packed with snow, ice, dirt, etc. and the door bottoms are much more susceptible to rusting. When a door edge is parallel to the road surface like below, it chips much easier than a flat surface of a true rocker panel. This was a huge mistake on GMs part to ever release these to production. Once it chips rust soon follows. I travel around the country a lot and have seen many GMT900 trucks in the salt belt with significant rust already growing on the door bottoms. Not only where the GMT900ís prone to door rust, they are flat out ugly with less than sterling body assembly fastening methods, spot welds, stamping, etc. Glad to see GM at least fixed the door bottoms on the new 2014ís!

I find this the most hilariousÖ.

2014 GM interior.

2013 Ram interior. Close resemblance, no? If you canít beat them join them.
    Last edited by Larry; 09-26-2013 at 04:21 AM.
    1978 Chevrolet K10, Vortec 8.1L, NV4500, NP205
    2011 Phoenix Camper
    1992 Toyota 4Runner
    1989 Chevrolet Suburban, V2500, 5.7L, NV4500
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, 8.1L, ZF S6-650 6-speed manual trans. Owned since new

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...silverado.html

According to this,

the 4.3 will get an aluminum block and have enough power to push a crewcab with trailer?

Sounds like I've found the replacement 4.3 for the 06 in a few years.

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.
    Definitely not digging the family truckster front end. One of my trucks is an 08 with the 4.3 It get 12mpg. I hope the new one does a lot better. I think in the domestic war that Ford and Dodge are kicking Chevys butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    I think in the domestic war that Ford and Dodge are kicking Chevys butt.
    They have for many, many years now. I was raised GM but have not bought one since 1990.
    JK 2dr rubi Garage
    2000 F350 CC LWB 7.3 4x4
    2003 F550 6.0 4x4
    2006 R1
    1999 35' 5th wheel RV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast