All new 2014 Silverado/Sierra launch airing live 12-13-12 at 9:30 EST

Don't worry, the more watered down trucks like most of us in our hobby/sport/addiction (or whatever you want to call it) prefer will arrive after the launch. Manufacturers always launch their cream of the crap first then the stripped models later. The good ole "truck guy trucks" with rubber floor mats, crank windows, manual shift transfercases, etc. will Debut at the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) in January then a few more variations will be shown at the Chicago Auto Show which is traditionally more truck and fleet and commercial oriented.

Used to be you could go down to the local dealer and "order" your vehicle with exactly what you wanted on it. Then you would strike a fair deal and wait 6 weeks for your truck to be delivered because they wanted your continued business into the future. These days, they only deal on what's in stock or what they can trade with another dealer 150 miles away because the factory sends inventory already pre-loaded with options and packages and the dealer is trying to make money on their sales incentives from the factory. If you want rubber/plastic mats you have to delete the carpet, etc. I wish I cold find a dealer who specializes in ordering from the factory and is willing to give a square deal. I'd even travel out of state to do business on that basis.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Used to be you could go down to the local dealer and "order" your vehicle with exactly what you wanted on it. Then you would strike a fair deal and wait 6 weeks for your truck to be delivered because they wanted your continued business into the future. These days, they only deal on what's in stock or what they can trade with another dealer 150 miles away because the factory sends inventory already pre-loaded with options and packages and the dealer is trying to make money on their sales incentives from the factory. If you want rubber/plastic mats you have to delete the carpet, etc. I wish I cold find a dealer who specializes in ordering from the factory and is willing to give a square deal. I'd even travel out of state to do business on that basis.

Actually, you can still order vehicles with the options you want. Granded, they have to be options that are compatible within the peg group but it can be done providing the dealer is willing to get off their can to enter a sold order or willing to get off their butt to change an incoming pattern order to what you want and you are willing to wait 90 to 180 days. The ’13 Tahoe Z71 we just took delivery of last month was a special order where we ordered it as a bare bones Hoe Z71 (bare bones, for its peg group anyway). No Navigation (-$$$$), no entertainment meaning DVD player and flat screens (-$$$$), no All-Star package (I am not into blingy chrome door handles and other chrome BS -$$$), no sunroof (-$$$), etc. The only option it has for its peg group is the trailering package (because I wanted a deeper gear ratio) and center row buckets. If I could have ordered it with a manual transmission and transfercase you can rest assure I would have, but those are not compatible options for the peg or platform.

Most dealers would not stock such a Hoe as they would rather stock and sell a fully loaded $55K Hoe with all the trimmings. In the GM world, dealer’s monthly allocations are dealt out in what are called pattern orders. Pattern orders are generic packages with content that the manufacturer think consumers want. Dealers have the ability to tweak these orders as they are generated on a monthly basis to add or subtract options but most dealers are too lazy to make changes to their pattern orders (other than colors) and just take what they were dealt, which is why pretty much everything you see on dealers lots are identical except for colors. Other manufacturers other than GM do pretty much the same thing. For example, look at the Ram Power Wagon where rubber flooring is an option instead of carpet. No dealers order rubber floor covering because they can make a tiny bit more profit on the carpet option plus carpet is a standard pattern order. If you want rubber flooring you pretty much have to order the truck that way.

I have college alumni friends that work for Chrysler and it sounds like their new vehicle ordering and distribution system is about the same. One friend in particular is in charge of supply chain based out of Phoenix. Not sure if his area covers SoCal but if you are interested in ordering a Dodge let me know. As you know, I have GM connections too. I know plenty of GM dealers here in CO and throughout the Midwest that would be happy to enter a sold order to your specs.

As you eluded, when ordering a new vehicle you still have the ability to haggle on price but what you cannot haggle are incentives. Incentives, regardless if cash back or low interest are based on the vehicle delivery date to the customer…not date ordered. On the new trucks and SUV’s we have gotten over the years I always taken the cheap interest over cash back which is risky as one month interest can be 0% then the 4% or higher the next. It all depends how much interest the brand wants to buy down that month. Just hope the rig you ordered arrives on a good incentive month. :coffeedrink:

Thanks for the offer of help with ordering, Larry. When the time comes I may have to look you up. As it turns out, I do have access to the GM Employee Discount through my brother-in-law...he builds satellites for Raytheon, a GM company. When we mentioned this to the dealer where we bought the Suburban they just dropped their heads and realized the negotiation game was over, which I loathe anyway. What concerns me is trying to order a vehicle in our area. I contacted 3 different dealers in my area several years ago and none of them...zero...were interested in helping me. "We don't do that anymore." I guess there isn't a big market in So Cal for special orders on trucks. :smilies27

rotti

Adventurer
What concerns me is trying to order a vehicle in our area. I contacted 3 different dealers in my area several years ago and none of them...zero...were interested in helping me. "We don't do that anymore." I guess there isn't a big market in So Cal for special orders on trucks. :smilies27

Is this another California trend?
Every vehicle I have ever bought has been special ordered....I get exactly what I want in 6 to 8 weeks. Never once had a problem or any resistance (CO, WY, MT). In fact you should be able to get a better deal as the dealer won't have pay floor plan interest.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Time will tell for sure. I like the thoughts and ideas being put into the new GM trucks. Styling-wise they share a pretty good resemblance to the 900's they replace to me. Better looking, but how the hell did they manage to make the front bumper hang lower and the top of the bedsides go higher all at the same time? No wonder they put the Avalanche style rear bumper step cutouts out back. I'm excited to see them come to the dealership as we sell a fair share of Silverado's right now. I want to see more detail of the dash layout and driver info center functions to see how they stack up to the competition's offerings.

I'm curious to drive a 4.3L truck too. IF a DI 3.6L puts out 300+ hp in a new v-6 Camaro a 4.3l Half ton ought to move out really good. Sadly I don't think our dealership would even think to order one since I've yet to see them order much less sell a 4.3 in a 900 or a 4.8l v-8 truck either. As far as ordering what you want, ask around. Chances are the little small town dealers are flexible to let you get what you want. That's what we do. Heck, the Z71 'Hoe Larry has was the Second one we ordered for him. We ordered a 12 last spring to his specs knowing he wanted it much later in the year. We had allocation at the time so we ordered it. Larry told us he wasn't ready and we ended up selling it and replaced it with a 13 order right to his specs again. He was ready when it came in and as you all can see it's in his garage now. Most of the new Camaro's we sold were ordered to customer spec as well. While every dealer in 100 miles was selling them with 5-10k in "market area price adjustments" we sold ours at sticker. Those ordered were all to customer spec on options, color and equipment too.

When it comes to trucks though, we sell more off the lot in stock units than custom orders. So to a certain extent what you see is what you get. But we go with popular equipment levels and mix it up between mid level LS trucks to full blown LTZ's with all the toys. It's hard to truly have something for everybody on the lot. If somebody can't wait for an order we dealer trade too to find what somebody wants. It really comes down to how much that dealer wants your business.

Getting back to the new trucks I can't wait until we get one in to put my grubby paws on. Here's hoping they have something lined up for the guys like us that use the trucks for work and play off road.

elee

Observer
The silverado looks goofy on the front end, but over all the truck is upgrade from the previous body style. GMC's look A LOT better!

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
You, my friend, need to make an appointment with your Optometrist right away! :sombrero:

It might be that we got at least 15 on the lot right now in all flavors. Kinda like looking at something bright, it's all you see. It's more square shouldered with a little more rake to the windshield. The differences aren't as dramatic as say the change from our beloved squares from 87 to the GMT400 in 88.

My eyes are 20/20 too wise guy. But then again I didn't mind most of the looks of the 900's as a lot of you do. I like station wagons too so my tastes tend to differ from most.

Is this another California trend?
Every vehicle I have ever bought has been special ordered....I get exactly what I want in 6 to 8 weeks.

Probably. In fact, your truck may be stopped at the border and turned right around for not having the required amount of bling. :sombrero:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The 2015 Silverado and Sierra HD's launch Thursday, September 26th, at 11:50 AM CST. It appears to be another Facebook reveal on the Chevrolet and GMC pages. The typical automotive news outlets will be posting lots of pictures at that time as well.

With the GM HD trucks receiving a new updated chassis in 2011 I wouldn't expect anything new and exciting chassis wise such as SFA or some neat coil sprung air bag assisted rear suspension like RAM recently launched. The 2015 HD trucks are looking to be just an old IFS wh0re with new lipstick although new direct injected gasoline engines are expected. I just hope they follow the same recipe of the 2015 1500 series trucks with respect to appearance and not do something tacky like the facial treatment they hung on the 2015 Tahoe and Suburban. Regardless, I don't think GM could make them any less attractive with horrible body quality and fit and finish than the 2007 to 2014 HDs (mainly the current Chevrolet HD being the ugly duckling).

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks like someone broke the embargo and let out one picture before the official launch. So far I am not feeling the overdone grill :coffeedrink:

1380170789000-2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-008.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Here they are….. Still not feeling the Chevrolet grill. Too much chrome for my liking. Can’t wait to see them in plain-Jane WT trim with black grills.

Ugh…. Sounds like the powertrains are basically untouched. Same ole carryover MPFI gas engines for now and same old Dirtymax. I feel that is a mistake for GM to launch the new HD without the new DI powertrains but in the end, there are some really neat DI V8 gas engines coming to the HD trucks that will be well worth the wait. Until then it looks like it really is just an old wh0re with new lipstick
rolleyes.gif

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-LTZ-Z71-rear-view-796x528.jpg

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-Z71-front-view-796x528.jpg

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-rear-view-796x528.jpg

2015-GMC-Sierra-2500HD-front-view-796x528.jpg

2015-GMC-Sierra-2500HD-rear-796x528.jpg

2015-GMC-Sierra-Denali-3500HD-front-view-796x528.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member