Fuso 3.0 , Duonic transmission, SCR ?

Flys Lo

Adventurer
You make some good points. Back when your '88 was built none of the Japanese trucks put out much power; as long as they got to where they were going the customer was satisfied, and much fuel was saved compared to what else was available then.
The bar has been raised since then, and I guess my point was that Fuso should give us the OPTION of a larger engine, at least in the heavier GVW models. But maybe Mitsubishi does NOT have a larger, but still certifiable engine to suit the application. At least with Isuzu one has that choice. I just don't think a 3.0L 160HP engine will cut it in a 19,500#GVW truck, and that is what you are stuck with in a Fuso. Isuzu only puts their 3.0L in the NPR ECO model here in the states(can't speak for other countries). Everything else gets the 5.2L.
That is indeed fair enough - and its fair to suggest the US markets standard for "performance" is higher, because their light trucks have always been fitted with relatively powerful engines in comparison to trucks available from other countries.

Performance (and comfort) was the primary reason I replaced the old Canter with my current F250.

Regarding your comment about small engines using more fuel at load - that isn't as true for diesels as it is for petrol/gas engines in my experience, consumption is almost 100% based on load and the efficiency of the engine itself. You have 2 engines of similar design but differing capacities, the larger engine with more cylinders will almost always use more fuel - even if its only slightly.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Just to clarify, The 5.2L and 3.0L are BOTH 4-cylinder engines; 5.2L has larger bore and stroke (it's actually a completely different engine family)

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
So does anyone have a '12 or newer that's not been an issue? Or have they all had to undergo the reflash and trans fix?

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
FUSO have a list of what chassis number needs the G2G (GOOD 2 GO) .
We have had some platted 13`s that need the G2G some don`t.
If your looking at a dealer stock 12/13 they should be able to tell you.

Czechsix

Thanks EC, I guess I'm not getting through to the right folks at the Fuso dealerships. Business as usual, I guess.

The folks I've talked to don't have a real clear idea of what they're doing, time to make some more calls. Of course, this is the kinda information that they'd rather not have the customers know about too, so there's that.

One other thing is that I'm looking at a fairly new truck, but one that has clearly had RTV used during the transmission assembly. Does the factory use RTV's in assembling the transmission? If necessary I can post a pic of what I'm talking about.

EarthCruiser

Adventurer
I am happy to stand corrected on this BUT - my memory is telling me that FUSO replaced not rebuilt trouble some gear boxes.
No idea if they scrapped them or re manufactured them.
To keep the warranty there (5 year / 175 k) would have to be some record through the FUSO data base one would expect.

Czechsix

I am happy to stand corrected on this BUT - my memory is telling me that FUSO replaced not rebuilt trouble some gear boxes.
No idea if they scrapped them or re manufactured them.
To keep the warranty there (5 year / 175 k) would have to be some record through the FUSO data base one would expect.

Interesting. I agree that there should be a record, especially with an expensive fix like that. The particular truck I'm looking at has had only one recall done, and a minor one at that. I've done a VIN search through Fuso, and that's all they turned up. Of course, that was over the phone, maybe I need to visit the service guys and actually lurk over their shoulders while they access the info. I've had to do that with my Ford, and I've seen things they've missed or disregarded. I'll start a new thread with the pic that I have questions about.

Czechsix

I'll add in, just as an update, that the individual I spoke with at Mitsu was completely incorrect in her findings of only one procedure having been done on this truck. I bought it, and the service center found multiple things that had been fixed. There was a bit more gear noise than I thought proper, and we'll see if that's been cured when I pick the truck up. If it hasn't been cured, I guess I'll pursue a fix at home, one I put a few hundred miles on it.

Preferio

I hate bumping a 2-year-old thread, but I stumbled across this forum and discussion and wanted to share my personal experience with the Mitsubishi-Fuso Canter.

They are awful, awful trucks. The best thing about them, and probably the only thing, is their turning radius.

The Duonic is JUNK. I can attest to the 100% failure rate in the states. I have vehicles that have had three Duonics replaced within 40,000 miles. I''ve had a Duonic and rear end fail within the first 5,000 miles on a 2015MY truck. I've seen trucks make it 80,000 before the Duonic fails, but it WILL fail. Lowes and Enterprise (largest purchasers of Fuso in the states) have stopped purchasing them because A) the trucks, while under warranty, had too much downtime and B) because there are no new trucks to sale. I noticed something odd: A recall was issued to include installation of an auxiliary transmission filter. After this recall, the Duonic failures seemed to skyrocket. I brought it up to my PSM who said he would mention it higher up. Nothing was ever said about it again, but I still suspect this could be somehow related. Possibly causing fluid cavitation due to the filter element micron rating being too much. Just a theory.

As of right now, and for the past year, Fuso has not been able to sale any trucks due to not being able to meet EPA standards.

I perform recall after recall after recall. In fact, there is a recall, that had a recall issued against the recall which also has a pending recall issued against it. I've been told for the past year that this is a HUGE recall coming for ALL Canters to include replacement of the injectors, turbochargers, DPF, SCR and installation of the cold-weather kits. I've been told this recall will be a 20+ hour recall. With roughly 10% estimated to require replacement of the cylinder head due to seized injectors. They had a recall to prevent the seized injectors to include a rubber boot being super glued into place...

Everything that has been said about these trucks in this thread is 100% true. It amazes me that people are still buying these trucks (when they can be found as there are no new trucks being produced because of the EPA issues) without spending 30-seconds performing a Google search.

All of my customers HATE their trucks, but always say, they "love the warranty". As soon as the base 3-year Warranty expires, Lowes and Enterprise drop the trucks. There are almost no Fusos owned by either company in this area any longer.

BTW, I'm a Service Manager for a Fuso dealership.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Welcome Preferio and thanks for the information. I knew that there is a reason I still have the '92 FG with a manual trans in it.

Preferio

Welcome Preferio and thanks for the information. I knew that there is a reason I still have the '92 FG with a manual trans in it.

Everything pre-Canter, they're great trucks. Other than the last generation FM/FKs sold in the states that had chronic common rail, injector and pump issues.

It's scary that there are going to be people out there, who are a private owner or small company, with the Canters out of warranty soon. In fact, I'm starting to see them now. Once of which I have here now and will likely be a customer-pay Duonic replacement.

Is this forum mainly stateside trucks, or world trucks? If state side, I'd be willing to help with any technical questions you guys may have in the future. I'm very active in my own automotive interest forums, so frequently check them all. Can't make any promises that I will be able to help, but I'll try and it's as simple as a PM.

unkamonkey

Explorer
There seems to be owners from around most of the world on here but I couldn't say if all get the same truck where they are.
It's been a great truck and the only real issue was when I cracked the exhaust manifold. I don't know how I did it. The dealer in Denver just looked me. They have never had to replace one or order one before.
Emissions? One diesel tech wondered why I even need to test the thing. His words, "it puts out nothing".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior