Fuso 3.0 , Duonic transmission, SCR ?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If I release the brake pedal, slowly or suddenly, doesn't matter....it'll roll back.

Doesn't your truck have hill assist?
In my 2010 FG84 hill starts are a no brainer, as the hill assist negates ever needing to do a handbrake start. To be honest, it is one of my favourite features.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Theoretically...yes, it does. On lesser slopes, it works fine, it's those steep suckers that make it fail the test.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't know how the hill assist works on an auto, but on my manual there is a switch on the dash that allows you to "fine tune" this function. On the manual you can adjust when it will release the the brakes.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Ah, interesting. There's no such switch on the duonic equipped truck, I guess one must take it on faith that the thing knows what it's about.

One of the idiosyncrasies of the system.

farmergt

Noticed this is an old thread but maybe someone can help us out.

We have a 2012 Mitsubishi Fuso FEC52S with a Duonic transmission. The original transmission failed us soon after we purchased the truck in early 2019, the mechanic said that the scanner is showing a failed solenoid, the transmission will not engage (SYS T&M red dashboard light came on), basically the truck will not move. Since there are no parts available for this transmission, we bought a used Duonic with low mileage on it, the mechanic installed it and a 3000-4000 miles later we encountered the same issue (solenoid), the truck will not move. Mechanic could do a reset, the transmission will engage but once the accelerator is touched the same SYS T&M will light up and truck wont move.

Is anyone familiar with this failure and how to fix it?

Maybe more important, has anyone encountered a conversion of a truck with a Duonic transmission into a manual transmission?

Thanks in advance

davidtzlu

Hi folks
I’m wondering if anyone has a more recent take on these issues. Have they all been resolved? I’m looking at a 2014 Earthcruiser on the forum and want to understand the issues with the Powertrain better

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
On all of the Fuso truck forums I frequent there seems to be reports of ongoing engine/electrical issues with this 3.0L model.
From memory, there were a multitude of issues with the Duonic transmission, especially in the earlier days. I could be wrong, but I think that this ultimately resulted in a 100% recall of the gearboxes in the US/Canada and was arguably one of the main reasons Fuso pulled out of the US market. There was also issues with the DEF system and there were numerous recalls with that too.

If all of the recalls/fixes have been carried out on this truck you might be okay, but remember... it's a twin clutch system and it does not have a low range. That may not be an issue for you, but it could affect where you can comfortably take the truck. If the plan is to mainly go on the highway and forestry type trails, then you would probably be perfectly fine, but if the intent is to tackle more difficult terrain then a lack of low range could potentially prove problematic.

I should note, I do not own one of these trucks so my comments are not from first hand experience. I own the previous model, with a manual gearbox, low range and a 4.9L engine, which is a very different truck configuration.
Some people do like the 3.0L model, but from what I have seen, more don't.

You need to do your research and make your decision based on your own findings and what your intended usage might be.
Personally, if I were in the market for a truck today, I doubt I would consider a FGB71/FGB72, but each to their own.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Fuso did recall and fix their issues. As for the lack of low range, Fuso redid the gearing on these trucks and once you get the hang of driving them they are more than competent with what most people do. If they've been properly maintained then you're good. As well, these trucks do best when they are driven regularly. They don't like to sit around.

Hoots16

This may seem kinda lame as I only have a fe160, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with deleting these models? It’ll be used as a chipper dump truck and be pulling a 3000lb wood chipper. I want to get the most out of this truck. Crazy to think about getting it tuned? The transmission issues with these trucks has me a bit nervous about modifications.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior