Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Truck Search Resources

Default Used Truck Search Resources

So, I bought a camper (~3k lbs wet & packed) which mounts to a flatbed and now I need a bigger truck.

Where do you guys "shop" other than www.autotrader.com? I see folks finding/buying great trucks that I never see online. www.commercialtrucktrader.com hasn't been very helpful.

I haven't resorted to Craig's List so perhaps that's my problem.
    Alright, this is just fancy car camping, people. Move along, move along.

yup that's your problem. if you are around utah, try ksl.com classifieds as well.

I also forgot to add I have some particular requirements...

SuperCab
    Manual transmission
    Manual transfer case
    Diesel - but NOT an ULSD model
    Long wheelbase
    Salt-free state
    No engine modifications
    White, grey or silver...even red's OK, but no black
    A patridge in a peartree
    Last edited by NothingClever; 12-14-2012 at 12:29 AM.

I have had good luck with craigs list and KSL has a lot of awsome things as well.
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by bftank View Post
    where are you located?
    My second home, Afghanistan.

Serving or contractor?

You say not a ULSD diesel so older than 04 or do you mean no Common Rails or no computers?
    Last edited by bfdiesel; 12-14-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdiesel View Post
    Serving or contractor?

You say not a ULSD diesel so older than 04 or do you mean no Common Rails or no computers?
    Serving.

Federal mandates for U.S. passenger auto industry implementation was on model year 2007 vehicles so an '06 should be able to burn regular diesel sold in South America (shipping destination of the truck).

Don't think I can get around computers unless I go with a much older MY.

Typically, Auto Trader is full of higher priced rigs. My dealer friend refers to it as "the book of dreams". Craigslist is going to yield the bargains, if there are any. Either "All of Craig's" or "Search Tempest" let you search a bunch of areas at the same time. You can get fairly specific on your requirements, but not as specific as autotrader. I will also put in the good word for KSL if you are able to shop the Utah (and close to Utah states; Wy, Co, Id). It is a great place to find trucks. You can get very specific on their searches. I have found a bunch of good contenders on there. There are also quite a few active forum members in the area so you might get someone to check out something for you if a fly n drive is in the works.
    '98 Dodge 3500 4x4 12v NV4500 complete with a crap load of goodies.
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 39" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '11 Rubicon Unlimited OME heavies, 285/75-17 Toyos
    '07 Adventurer 10T with surfboard racks!
    '75 Argosy (Airstream) 26'

Craigslist. You are going to need an educated shopper locally though, craigslist is full of scams and nefarious sellers. There really isn't much place else to go, ebay and enthusiast forums would be my distant second. I am not sure how viable autotrader is anymore. The last few times I have sold a vehicle, 95% of the responses were from my CL ads, very, very few calls from autotrader. I think autotrader is going the way of the newspaper classified....

From the sounds of it, you are looking for a later model truck, just pre-06? For your requirements, I would be looking at 93-98 dodges, 01-06 dodges, and 95-02 Fords. Your requirements of a manual trans and no engine mods should leave you with a pretty small list to go through...I know, as I am currently looking for nearly the same truck right now. If I was going to cherry pick a truck to build for your SA trip, I would be looking at 97-98 dodge, or a 96-97 ford. Very simple, and durable trucks, that can take some abuse and are reasonably priced. If I was looking newer, then an 03-06 Dodge would be my choice.

Rob Bonney Fabrication RobBonneyFab@gmail.com 602 370 7955
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rob-Bo...0764429?ref=hl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast